2006 limited towing: want to upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 limited towing: want to upgrade

I just got a 2006 limited, v8, "class II" towing package.(I assume it isn't the complete "class III" package, since it does have the class 2 hitch and 4 pin flat wiring) I want to tow my travel trailer, so I need to upgrade. I know I need to install a class 3 hitch below the stock one, and I have a brake controller (not installed yet) and found the plug under the dash. The problem is out back. How do I get the 4 pin converted to 7 pin round? Obviously, the brake lights are there, but I need the wires for the 12V trailer battery and brake output from the controller. Under the hood, the relay and fuse are installed for the trailer brakes, but I just can't seem to find the wires out back. Where are they? Anyone successfully pull this off? Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm not sure about the '06 but on my '04 the harness plug is under the right rear tail light. To really get to it the bumper cover has to come off. All the wires should be there for the 7-pin, actually if you can find the 7-pin harness it plugs right in.
up to '04 the hitch was a bolt on, and the one i picked up came with the 7-pin harness.

Wow thanks for that...bringing back a 3 YR OLD POST! :banghead:
Don't get too excited. They're new the site (19 posts) and likely searching for things that interest them (including old posts). Dates are easy to overlook when you do a search.

Hello!
Any thing to watch out for when installing a class 3 hitch my self? thank you

Back