• Register Today It's free!

2008 amp installation question

mfarlow

Reaction score
City, State
New Hope, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Eddie Bauer V8
Anyone know the best location to route the amplifier power cable through the firewall?

There is a big rubber boot where it looks like all the electric wires are running through, but I didn't want to poke a fat hole in it if there is a better location.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any rubber grommet in the firewall works. If you've got one with wires already running through it, poke a small hole and squeeze the amp power wire through that, it'll be nice, tight and snug.

Yeah that is what I normally do. This is more of a hard rubber boot that encases the wiring harness, so I would probably have to drill a hole close to the diameter of my power cable (and hopefully not hit any of the wires in the harness). What's worse is the boot has a 90 degree bend to it.

I might be better off drilling a new hole, and putting in a grommet.

There must be a grommet somewhere. Not sure about the 2008. Maybe lift the carpet up and bit and you'll find something under there.

I did find one behind the center stack, but that wouldn't leave me enough wire to make it to my amp.

I wound up just drilling a hole and using a grommet and some caulk. I have to say the drivers side wiring is really clean in this car.

Once I squared that away, running the wire out of site was pretty straight forward. I was going from drivers side (battery), to beneath the passenger side rear seat. There was a channel in the door sills that was a perfect fit for a 4g wire. I removed the rear seats and ran the wire under the carpet to get from drivers side to passenger side. Conveniently there is a hole in the carpet for where the seat latches down. Perfect spot to poke through. You do see the amp when the rear seats are lifted (to gain access to 3rd row seating), but other than that you would never even know it was there. I may take a look at mounting the amp behind the drivers side rear panel at some point, but I'm worried about it getting enough ventilation in there.

Now to wire up the speakers, head unit and reverse camera.

Nice.

Good luck!

Back