ABS light on - Where are sensors located? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS light on - Where are sensors located?

firemedic00

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
1995 Explorer - ABS light has been on for quite a while now. I do all my own P/M work. Did I take out a sensor while doing the last brake job? Thanks for any help!
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine has been on since i got it lol

the abs wheel sensors are located in the rear of the knuckles, just follow the wire

the speed sensor tends to be a popular failure item.
It is in the pumkin' super easy repair for a few bucks in parts.

I had an ABS light on ever since I owned the vehicle. I just fixed it a few weeks ago by replacing the rear speed sensor. It's worth the $10 gamble.

Welcome to this forum! It could be brake dust on the front sensors, the rear speed sensor, or possbily another problem with the ABS module or the solenoid block. A scanner which is designed to read these codes would eliminate the guess work.

I just got the ABS light on on my 95 EB. I went to read the codes, the guy of the repair shop told me theres no data and i need to replace the ABS module

=( i guess im going for a second opinion

JAMM

Welcome to this forum! Maybe his scanner can't read ABS codes?

Indeed... the ABS codes aren't stored on the PCM, so most shops' scanners won't be able to read them. An NGS or WDS scanner will be necessary to retrieve the ABS codes. Any Ford dealer will have the ability to do so, but not all independent mechanics will have invested the money in the proper system.

Now, that being said, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the module is dead. However, a light combined with a dead module could also be caused by a 7 cent fuse. Without a proper diagnostic, there's no way to know.

-Joe

Sinaloa! Buenos dias!

I just got the ABS light on on my 95 EB. I went to read the codes, the guy of the repair shop told me theres no data and i need to replace the ABS module

=( i guess im going for a second opinion

JAMM

Mirandoce, como va todo? Digame, este tipo quiere que usted pague, o sea, compre, antes de saber lo que es el problema? Estoy de acuerdo con los demas, hable con su consecionario Ford porque quizas ese mechanico no tenga las herramientas correctas para encontrar el problema...

He wants you to pay for or buy new items before knowing the problem? I agree with the others, that you have a Ford dealer look at it too... If the mechanic doesn't have the right tools, you could be wasting time and money.

Suerte, compai!

I have the same thing on my 96 explorers, I took it to a ****ty shop, they said that the module was not working, and charged me 45 bucks... I saw the mechanic that was doing the test struggle, he said that he could no communicate with the abs module therefore it was either a wiring issue or a bad module, He was using a Snap on scanner, but who knows if it even did ABS
I think I’m going to replace the rear sensor as its cheap and seems to fix the problem on many cases...
Does anyone know what fuses or relays are used by the ABS?

Like I said, for $10 just roll the dice and throw in a rear sensor. 90% of the time that seems to be the problem.

ive had an abs problem with my 95 xlt v6 it would kick on when i would go qbout 3 miles per hour i also recently made the mistake of tightening my center lug on the wheel hub and destroyed the bearing before my truck began to shake violently and grind the abs light came on my rotors and pads are new from when i tightened the center lug too much about a month ago safe to say the abs light will go off when i get the hub in the mail

My abs light is on to. When I first start my truck and drive... the first or second time I hit the brakes the abs kicks on even on dry pavement, after that the brakes just lock up if I slam them. Anybody got a answer to this????????

Check the resistance in the front 2 abs speed sensors in the hub assembly and the one in the rear axle or transfer case depending on the year of your rig.

Front right sensor — 0.270–0.330 k Ohms
Front left sensor — 0.270–0.330 k Ohms
rear speed sensor — 0.8 and 1.4 k Ohms

I am new to this.
I have 97 XLT with abs no light problems. Does anyone know the specs(resistance value) for the frt hub and rear speed sensors??????
Thanks

I just bought my 2000 XLS over the weekend. The guy that i bought it from said it kicked on a while back and he had it reset only to come back on. Mine stays on from ignition to cut off. Im gonna take it to a place around here to check it, but I figure ill have to replace a sensor to do a perma-fix

yeah my ABS light is on as well, but what I keep hearing about is this thing called a pumpkin, what is that? could you please post a picture?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also known as a differential.
Its the big round thing where the drive shaft meets the axle in the rear of the truck.

Back