New Navajo Truggy build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Navajo Truggy build

Removed the bed and skinned the rear bed sides

Cut the bed off, or what was left of it. I wanted to make room for all of the upcoming cage and suspension work.

d6dc0b41.jpg

5ea21151.jpg

d93e618f.jpg

Not sure if I like the "bobbed" look. I might install the sides un-bobbed using Dzus fasteners. Any help with the design of the rear would be very helpful. I have searched all over this forum and Google for ideas.

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

This is off subject but I thought I might get some advise.
These are the rockers off a good used 4.0L motor i bought from a junk yard. The engine does come with a 3 month warranty. Any way, I noticed a rattle coming from the engine when warm and in neutral. This rattle happens around 2500 rpm. I had some good used rockers off the previous engine that I installed. I have not fired it up yet. Does anyone think this excessive wear could cause the rattle?
IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oops

Sorry for the multiple posts of the same topic. There was a 3-4 day delay from when I posted till it showed up. Does anyone know why?

i vote tubestyle bed with removable skins. no bed does look weird.

Bed sides

There will be some sort of bed sides when I'm done.
The problem I'm having is with the rear window opening.
The bed area is so short that making a cage that allows
window to function is a challenge. I've seen a few truggys
with a high caged rear that looked good. Looking around the
forums for ideas.

You probably don't need the rear glass to go all the way up. If you go that way, you could put some rubber (soft material) pads on a bar that it goes up to. Just an idea if that made sense.

Beadlocks are here. This is how a pipe fitter does it.

I finally received my 16.5x8" steel wheels from 4 wheel parts. I installed the wheel on my pipe positioner (it turns with a foot peddle), broke out the Miller Passport and started welding. Here are some picks of the progress.

IMG_0574-1.jpg

IMG_0575-1.jpg

IMG_0577-1.jpg

IMG_0579-1.jpg

IMG_0581-1.jpg

IMG_0582-1.jpg

Bed cage ideas

I came across this picture. I like the way the tire is tucked out of the way.

Might look ok with a tiny bed area like mine.

The license plate does hinge out of the way to remove the tire.

IMG_0583-2.jpg

Subscribing, very different-I like it and want to see the progress.

Gonna rip into her tomorrow.

Thanks for all the Kudos on the build. Still a long way to go. The next issue I see is adapting the VSS or vehicle speed scensor to the 9" or relocate it to the transfercase output. What is the cheapest way to do this? The Navajo does have a Auto. I did think about converting to manual shift auto. A ratcheting shifter where the console is now. Anyone doing this?

Did a quick rattle can paint job.
IMG_0595.jpg

Rear end is coming out tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the 9" under it and siting on the swampers. I'm doing a spring over axle.
IMG_0596.jpg

Bead lock have held air for the past 3 days.
IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

A little primer and gloss black and you would never know its 32 years old
IMG_0599.jpg

Dig the "cage bed" pic. Nice weld work on the wheels too!

Thanks for all the Kudos on the build. Still a long way to go. The next issue I see is adapting the VSS or vehicle speed scensor to the 9" or relocate it to the transfercase output. What is the cheapest way to do this?

Not sure if that is an issue, I have a 9" on my 91 as well as a C5 transmission, VSS is in the transfer case.

VSS. And Ford 9"

I think you solved your own problem. I heard that the A4LD needs the vss in orders to shift. That is why I was considering a manual ratchet type auto. Smell what I'm thinking?

your old rims 15 by 8? any chance you wanna get rid of them?

All the old axles, wheels, and stuff like that was heading for Craigslist.
I have 5 of those wheels. None are in great condition. Not sure the width.

Wow, Its So BIG.

Got the 9" installed today. Like a dumb ass I cut the old u bolts with my plasma to save time. It turns out I could have used them. Oh well.
IMG_0613.jpg

The S.O.A gained me about 6"

IMG_0612.jpg

Forklift made quick work of the swap
IMG_0608.jpg

My son Nate. He's spent countless hours with me at my shop, he never complains.
IMG_0605.jpg

I used some pipe jack stands under the front frame. Removed puney tires and mocked up the front.
IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

Tomorrow I should finish the rear and hopefully get the TTB removed from the front.

Sunday progress

I thought of a good way to set pinion angle without having to worry about if the axle moved side to side. I found and marked the axle where the perches needed to go. I then tack welded some angle clips next to the perch to act as a guide.

IMG_0615.jpg

I installed the u-bolts loosley so I could jack up the pinion. It worked really good.
IMG_0616.jpg

Welded them on both sides
IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Of course I took a picture of the best weld. Local 250 Pipe fitter baby.;)
IMG_0619.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude this looks so badass. Cant wait to see it done.

Back