First Plastidipped item from CHROME to BLACK TIME TO DO ALL CHROME! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Plastidipped item from CHROME to BLACK TIME TO DO ALL CHROME!

Guys I just got a 2014 Explorer LTD and LOVE IT! I haven't plastidipped before but my first go at it the other day was a success! Now i'm addicted and going to hit ALL chrome on the exterior.... Follow this thread to see the before's / afters

Before DIP ..... . AFTER - I detailed the paint
20151014_202550_zps587vzhbt.jpg

20151015_110133_zpsajyzav33.jpg

20151014_202059_zpsxlvagqd2.jpg

AFTER: First DIP from CHROME to BLACK (Back 'EXPLORER' Chrome strip to matte black)
20151026_212752_zpsq8sdbtsd.jpg

20151026_181600_zpshh5lnu4c.jpg

20151026_181637_zpst3wxvmj7.jpg

2015-10-26%2023.28.01_zpssl6x7vxq.jpg

STAY TUNED FOR FULL BLACK OUT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how is that plasti dip wearing on the rear liftgate part? did u remove it first?

Thanks, i want to do the exact same thing on my 16 white explorer.

how is that plasti dip wearing on the rear liftgate part? did u remove it first?

I personally don't have a newer explorer, but some experience with plastidip.
If you take your time and do it correctly, it should stay on. I've done this same area on my 99 explorer, as well as the rims on my explorer, and all have stood the test of time so far (around 8 months)

j3000000-

Word of advice: do multiple coats!! 4 is best..

I've used this stuff a few times on my '99 x and my old mercury. 2 healthy coats will usually cover just fine, but weirdly enough it doesn't like to peel off as easily 3-4 coats, especially if the surface underneath isn't completely smooth.

Wot 'e said ^. 4 light coats is waaaaaaaäy better than one or two heavy ones.

I've dipped a fair amount of trim on both my Explorer and my BMW, and the best method I've found is to do a super light dust coat, wait 15 minutes, repeat until awesomeness is achieved.

This is what the grill on my old Sport looked like after one coat:
YphFtK7l.jpg

And after four (or five?) equally light coats:
DiShDoXl.jpg

Looked awesome right up 'till the day I wrecked 'er. :(

Not OP, but... my .02: Plastidip, once dry, tears naturally at body & trim seams when peeled off. You can tape & tarp the area you are working on, go nutso with the dip, and then peel off the little bit you don't want dipped. For example, on the "4WD" and "Limited" badges, you could mask off leaving a 1 inch border all around, then peel as necessary to leave only the letters dipped.

A coat of plasti-dip gets touch-dry in 15 - 30 minutes, but takes several days to fully cure to the point at which it will hold up to a washing, won't be accidentally peel-off-able, etc...

Also, josholand, that looks effing awesome! :thumbsup:

It looks great! Good job!

Back