Greetings from Los Angeles

FordExploder69

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
Hi Guys!

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT which I use for my work as a musician.

I haul about 600-700 lbs of gear to every gig and drive thousands of miles.

SO, I am trying to engineer a cargo divider between the cab and my front seats so I don't die from the gear slamming into me in the event of an accident.

I don't know where to post this question.

I want to drill 4 eye bolts to rig a cargo net that I will have custom built to specs.

So, my main question is, can I drill into the metal underneath the headliner without compromising the roof? Or should I just drill straight through the roof and silicone seal it? I wonder if there is room to attach a bolt into the inner metal layer between the roof and the headliner... is there one?

I plan on removing my headliner this week to get a better look, but before I do that, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my job and if there are any better options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start by building a vertical wall which is bolted or hinged to the seat bolt holes in the floor. Then attach 1/4 inch cables from seat bolts farther to the rear which would limit the movement of the wall from hitting the rear of the drivers seat. Or depend on the front two seats to limit the movement of the wall. Stuff will hit the wall, but it won't come through the wall.

If I think completely different from how you think, that's OK. You don't have to do it my way. I have built walls in (2) Aerostars and lived with them for the last 20 years. I make them solid so they keep the air conditioning in the front, where I always seem to be when I'm driving. A piece of plexiglass or a slot allows use of the rear view mirror.

Maybe you could modify one of those animal carrier things that goes between the cargo and passenger areas. It like a 1"x1" heavy metal (!) mesh screen that separates the animal from the passengers. You probably would have to modify it and figure out a way to mount it. I'm not sure a cargo net would protect you enough from professional gear slamming forward in a LA stop!

PS: Welcome to the Group. (I'm originally from OC)

Welcome.

Sounds like a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion!

I was thinking, drill eye bolts into the top of the B pillars on both sides of the truck, then drill two more on opposite sides in the floor of the truck....attach custom cargo net to the eye bolts, pull em tight and BAM! You have a removable "wall" Whattya think? My other idea was to drill the top eye bolts into the roof....but If I can avoid compromising the roof I'd rather do that....

I would think you could do what you're thinking with the eyebolts with something more substantial than a cargo net. I'm just afraid that a cargo net isn't going to slow the momentum of much of anything. And yes, I would avoid penetrating the roof.

Ah yes, I see what you're talking about now. A bonafide C130 Cargo Net!! That would probably do it!

Hehe....

Yea it could probably strap down a hummer on a C-130, probably be beefy enough for my application.

I just submitted an inquiry to the company, I am betting it will be in the neighborhood of $200-$400 bucks for a custom net...but that is a small price to pay to not die.

Back