02 Explorer slips when shifting into 3rd Gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer slips when shifting into 3rd Gear

Rar

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer EB
My Truck has 127,000 kms. and it is now telling me that it has a Tranny issue.
Just in the last couple of days, it will slip when trying to shift from 2nd. into 3rd. I have no warning lights or indicators telling me of any potential problems.
Any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you ever replaces the tranny fluids?...

Thanx. for the reply. No I have never replaced the Tranny Fluid. I purchased it less than a year ago and do not know the History prior. Up to the last couple of days it worked just fine.

Tranny issues

Hello Rar and welcome to the forum.

I have the same Xplorer as you. Just make sure that when you take it in or if you're doing it yourself, that the tranny gets flushed. Just taking off the pan will only get a portion of the fluid. Don't forget the cooler, lines and torque convertor are full as well.

Good luck.....John (Stonewall)

O/D Light has now come on.

Just took the Truck for a spin and it now slips while trying to shift into 2nd.
It now has the O/D Light on. Does this still sound like a Tranny Flush??

Yep I changed my fluid and filter and it went away. They will try to tell you other wise but for the price of a filter and fluid I would go with that first before touching anything else. Make sure they do the filter not just the flush.:thumbsup:

Shifting

Rar...these transmissions had solenoid pack issues. Do a search on the forum for the solenoid pack. There's lots of reading on that topic. Is it slipping or does it seems like it is going into neutral instead of going into?
............John

Hi fellow Manitoban (John), It's hard to say, from 1st. to 2nd. it feels like it has shifted into Neutral, from 2nd. to 3rd. it just does not seem to want to shift, unless you take your foot off the Accelerator Pedal. I did not have the Flashing O/D Off Light, the O/D Off Light, stayed on.

Just took the Truck for a spin and it now slips while trying to shift into 2nd.
It now has the O/D Light on. Does this still sound like a Tranny Flush??

Had the same problem 79,000k, $4k rebuild.:eek:

Is this mainly a 2002 type problem? And is there anyway he could have avoided it? As in, having the fluid changed at around 60K or so? just curious. Hope you don't have to rebuild ike CharlAnn...ugh - I don't know how I'd pay for it

I'm sorry to tell you that you have a broken intermediate band and also your servo piston will be in bad shape, and hope that your direct clutch drum isn't scored...I just had this problem resolved at the dealer 4k later....lucky for me I was covered with the Ford extra service plan and it only cost me 100 bucks, he told me it would have cost 4k.....maybe look at a used from the wrecker...but then you never know what you've got, at least with the a rebuild you know what you have...goodluck

Thanx. for all your replies. The beast is going into the Tranny shop tomorrow and I will let you know how it turns out.

I know there is probles with these from time to time but make sure they are not looking for work. For less than $100 in parts you can do the fluid and filter with no harm done if it does not work. That is all that was wrong with mine and I have put 20000 miles on since then. I just dont like to see anyone taken advantage of. Good luck I hope it is nothing. :salute:

Thanx. Crash, will start with the simple things and go from there. Will post
findings once job is completed.

please let us know...we hope the best for you!!!!

mine had that problem as well .......at 59.000km.. reprogramed computer... nothing, replaced fluids (flush)....nothing, replaced seleniod body... BINGO... 1000$$ bill not so good...

This is what I know so far, Nascar_Intimid pretty much hit it on the head, the Intermediate Band broke, the Servo Piston was in bad shape and the Planetary Gear was shot. Solenoid Pack has yet to be checked. So far I am
sitting at $2200.00 Will not see truck until mid next week, will comeback with
final tally.

When they fix your tranny it will have all the upgrades in it and you should last a long time...I get mine back in a couple of days...good luck!! and please let us know how you make out so we can all benefit from what we all post....cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, here's what was replaced: Planetary Gear, Servo Piston, Intermediate Band and the Solenoid Pack, we also replaced the Torque Converter and Filter, not to mention a complete Flush. End result was $2,200.00, I know the Transmission Shop, gave me a deal. Should have Truck back tomorrow. Should be good for another 100,000 kms. Thanks again for your replies and I hope this might help someone else.

Back