Got a P0153 code...what's my next step? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a P0153 code...what's my next step?

kloadman97

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, O.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
My check engine light came on yesterday and upon hooking up to the computer it showed me a P0153 code...or perhaps more to the point:

P0153 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Does anyone have some experience with this one? Seems that everything I am finding on the net thus far reads like your daily astrology instructions...you might not notice symptoms...it could be A, B, C, or D.

I reset the computer and the check engine light never came back on, but should I really look to be replacing the O2 sensor or the MAF sensor...or perhaps something else? I just topped 130,000 miles in the last week, so I want to be sure I'm taking the best possible care of it, not having something I could fix in 5 minutes out in the street tomorrow afternoon leading to it croaking on me on the way to work in traffic some morning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can drive around with that code and nothing serious will happen. If you're like me and the light makes you want to beat your dash with a sledge then you gotta get a little greasy :p When was the last time you did a tune up? I'm guessing it's time since you're at the 130k mark, while you're doing that clean out the maf and you'll probably be okay. It's rare that the oxygen sensors actually go bad. What happens is, the computer gets a reading at the sensor that is out of spec so it triggers the code. The code will tell you where the reading is and maybe a little bit of limited info along with it however usually the problem is somewhere else along the line.

My 99 Sport posted tho O2 code also. My engine light is currently on. I changed out my plugs except the last two on the passenger side because it's past midnight and I give up. I figure that I should do the o2 sensors while I'm at it. How hard are they to remove and replace?

Check other forums

There is an awesome forum for the o2 sensor locations, one is visible from the drivers side under running board to get idea of what you looking for. The other three were a pain for me but used the 02 open slot tool and two 3 inch extenders with pivot. I had to put the 3/8 socket over the front right bank 1 and climbed underneath to actually reach around the exhaust and torque it from there with a regular 3/8 ratchet, not enough room at that angle from above unless you have a longer extension.

I have 96 5.0 302 here's links for that type.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=252653
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209770
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222998

good luck, buy the open slotted o2 socket.

I had P0153 for my 98 EB for about two years. Nothing happened. Last month I replaced the sensor and the light never came back. Many people say that with bad O2 sensor the fuel efficiency could be bad. I don't think that my fuel efficiency went up after changing it. The reason I finally replaced it is because I worried about other codes in addition to O2 sensor.

Changing it was simple. Just using normal wrench if you can loose it. It may be stuck because of 13 years. Using anti-seize lub for the new sensor.

...I had this code when my cat got clogged, later came major power loss. Maybe check those.

I had P0153 for my 98 EB for about two years. Nothing happened. Last month I replaced the sensor and the light never came back. Many people say that with bad O2 sensor the fuel efficiency could be bad. I don't think that my fuel efficiency went up after changing it. The reason I finally replaced it is because I worried about other codes in addition to O2 sensor.

Changing it was simple. Just using normal wrench if you can loose it. It may be stuck because of 13 years. Using anti-seize lub for the new sensor.

Hi DCDYD,

I have the exact same problem and want to change the sensor as well. Where did you find the spare part? Do you by any chance have the part number?

Thanks from a Danish Explorer Enthusiast

Back