• Register Today It's free!

Best MPG Mods?

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I just purchased a 2004 Explorer XLS 4.0 with 95k miles on her and Im looking for the Best MPG mods since I get paid per mile.
LMK what has worked the best.

So far Im thinking CAI, Superchips, and EGR Delete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

EGR delete will not help your fuel economy, and the CAI probably will not do a lot. An electric fan will probably be the most cost effective, followed by under drive pulleys and a custom SCT tune. It will take a long time to recoup the cost of the mods in fuel savings, though. If you are paid by the mile, you are most likely better off spending a little money on a second beater that is fuel efficient. They tend to pay for themselves in these situations.

EGR delete will not help your fuel economy, and the CAI probably will not do a lot. An electric fan will probably be the most cost effective, followed by under drive pulleys and a custom SCT tune. It will take a long time to recoup the cost of the mods in fuel savings, though. If you are paid by the mile, you are most likely better off spending a little money on a second beater that is fuel efficient. They tend to pay for themselves in these situations.

This is my Second Beater... My toy is a Supercharged 2012 Ram.

Im just trying to make it as fuel efficient as possible to maximize my .57 per mile.

You're never gonna get great gas mileage out of a 3rd gen explorer. It's big and heavy. Best mods are driving technique, look on ecomodder for more info. Grill block, syn fluids, low resistance tires, e fan, and other aero mods are the best bet.
Seriously though, buy a little fwd econo car

You're never gonna get great gas mileage out of a 3rd gen explorer. It's big and heavy. Best mods are driving technique, look on ecomodder for more info. Grill block, syn fluids, low resistance tires, e fan, and other aero mods are the best bet.
Seriously though, buy a little fwd econo car

I do service for work so I carry some stuff in the back.
Im not looking for prius type mileage. just a little better than stock.

Dead on replies. Biggest MPG gain will be putting your right foot on a diet after stops, and staying under 2000 RPM.

Keep on top of your tire pressures too. One *could* think about overinflating if the pressure ratio is kept steady (spec is 30 front/35 rear) but you're on your own if you do that. less tire contact, wear down the centre of the tire, etc.

Go with the electric fan, don't change up to the 3.73 gears, mod your driving habits, look far down the road to avoid stops (timing) when possible. Bottom line, in town you're liable to see 15mpg, highway you could see 20, considering you said you have to carry some equipment. If you have the 3rd row seats and don't need them, you could reduce weight slightly by pulling the seats and installing a plywood (or OSB) floor instead. You could take comfort in the fact that on a 15mpg vehicle, +1mpg is almost a 7% improvement! (percentage=placebo!)

Take your front driveshaft off

Keep on top of your tire pressures too. One *could* think about overinflating if the pressure ratio is kept steady (spec is 30 front/35 rear) but you're on your own if you do that. less tire contact, wear down the centre of the tire, etc.

Go with the electric fan, don't change up to the 3.73 gears, mod your driving habits, look far down the road to avoid stops (timing) when possible. Bottom line, in town you're liable to see 15mpg, highway you could see 20, considering you said you have to carry some equipment. If you have the 3rd row seats and don't need them, you could reduce weight slightly by pulling the seats and installing a plywood (or OSB) floor instead. You could take comfort in the fact that on a 15mpg vehicle, +1mpg is almost a 7% improvement! (percentage=placebo!)

I'll prolly do the electric fan, Superchips, and better tires.

I also am not a 4x4 so I don't have a front driveshaft. And I'm blessed not to have the 3rd row seating already.
Looks like this was a fleet truck and has just a flat floor.

Look up "aldive" and his 30 mpg monster! All of the things he did to his Ex are still here even though he passed away a couple of years ago.

Look up "aldive" and his 30 mpg monster! All of the things he did to his Ex are still here even though he passed away a couple of years ago.

Aldive's favorite was his electric fan and under drive pulleys. I would start with that and then start removing unnecessary weight.

Aldive's favorite was his electric fan and under drive pulleys. I would start with that and then start removing unnecessary weight.

Aldive set the bar!! He was the man!!:salute:

drive slower and keep it tuned up...

I expected more out of this thread...

So there's no little tricks to improve mpg/hp

I expected more out of this thread...

So there's no little tricks to improve mpg/hp

They gave you some tricks, what exactly were you looking for?

"This school teacher invented a way to get 100mpg in a 1 ton truck! Gas stations hate her!"

Local mom figures out one little trick that has doctors mad all over

Back