What are my options... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are my options...

I had a bit of a wreck in my explorer and I have decided to try and fix it now. I would like some expert opinions on what my options are..

Is it worth fixing?

Does it look like there could be alot of damage underneath that would prevent me from installing new parts?

Does it look like something I should be able to fix or just have a shop do it
I realize this question is hard to answer because you dont know me, I, just looking for a general response as to whether this could be done, or professionaly handled.

From the Front
DSCN0083.jpg

Close up of the headlight Dmg
DSCN0084.jpg

Side Picture
DSCN0085.jpg

Back angle
DSCN0087.jpg

Hood and fender seperation
DSCN0088.jpg

Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah that is hurt pretty bad.
I would have it fixed professionally, but be warned, your insurance company most likely will total the vehicle.

Take that to a shop. You will need at least a headlamp, bumper cover, fender, the door shell is subjective (used door would be ideal), header panel, some rad support damage, but based off your body lines, your nose looks swayed. Won't be able to tell the extent of damage till it gets a tear down. Insurance would probably total your truck out. Take it to a few shops and get some estimates. Ask them to write for used or aftermarket parts (depending on whats cheaper).

Take that to a shop. You will need at least a headlamp, bumper cover, fender, the door shell is subjective (used door would be ideal), header panel, some rad support damage, but based off your body lines, your nose looks swayed. Won't be able to tell the extent of damage till it gets a tear down. Insurance would probably total your truck out. Take it to a few shops and get some estimates. Ask them to write for used or aftermarket parts (depending on whats cheaper).

I did this myself so insurance wont be involved. What is a header panel? and what do you mean by the nose is swayed? I picked up a fender and headlight today for 50$ from the pick and pull, I wont have time to take the fender, and bumper off for 2 wks because I have to go to work, luckly the fender I pulled was the same color as my truck, So im really hoping that it looks worse than it is and I will be able to work something out with the new fender and light, and I should be able to get a new bumper, when I get back from work.

the header panel is the fiberglass panel the head lights mount to.

Nose sway means the structure box of the front end has moved out of alignment. The body has moved. This would need to be pulled back into place with a frame machine. You will never be able to correctly align the fender and hood with out getting the box pulled back into specifications. Plus with the structure compromised safety is also compromised.
Sorry to tell you this is one of those it is actually worse than it looks.

:(

I dont know, may not be soo bad when you get it all apart. I trashed a guard rail with mine and it kinda looked like that... but as mentioned above, if the nose needs to be pulled your looking at cosly job and it may never be right again. Sorry about the bad luck, hope you get to keep your ex

I dont know, may not be soo bad when you get it all apart. I trashed a guard rail with mine and it kinda looked like that... but as mentioned above, if the nose needs to be pulled your looking at cosly job and it may never be right again. Sorry about the bad luck, hope you get to keep your ex

Not to ignore the others I hope your right. Even it it is not fixable, I will continue to drive it until it falls apart. Right now I drive it from Ky To Ny every two weeks, and will keep doing so. Minus having to have to frame straightened I can pull all the other parts from a wrecked on at the junk yard. Hopefully it looks worse and when I get everything off and can get the new ones back on.

Back