Door Ajar Alarm Beep Fix

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
hey guys. i know i asked this question a while back, but when you have the key in any position but the OFF postion the little beeper lets you know that you door is open. this happens to drive me crazy, since i do alot of wiring and such where the key needs to be on and the door is open. no one seemed to know if there was a fuse that could be pulled or wire to be cut. well today i found it! i just thought i would let anyone know this little trick to get rid of the door ajar alarm- this does not affect the headlights on, or key in ignition alarm

-take off the drivers side kick panel adjacent to the parking brake, its easier to apply the parking brake to take it off

-there is a firm foam peice behind the kick panel, again peel this back, dont remove it complete just pull the front back a little ways, it just pops into place its not glued

- there is a blue wiring connector with like 5 wires, it is the harness that runs from the inside of the drivers door and the wires run thru that long rubber flexible hose into the cab, well just fell around for the wires and pull the connector out.

- my wire was yellow with a black stripe, you can confirm by getting your test light and with the connecter still together probe the back of the terminals in the plug and see which one has power when the door is open and does not have power when the door is closed.

- you can just simply cut this wire.
---- i opted to get a little fancy and put it on a switch, so when im doing something with the door open i just flip the switch, and other times it will still work normally.
for a switch i used a regular toggle switch and wired it in. just cut that yellow/black wire in a spot where you have enough room to splice extra wire on to run to your switch. simple as that. i mounted my switch up high out of the way on my kick panel.

i hope this helps someone, if not....i dont have that annoying ding...ding...ding.. anymore

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why go to all that trouble. Just open the door and manually trip the door latch to the closed position with your fingers - inside latch 2 clicks up, outside latch 2 clicks down. Turns off dinging and interior lights. Takes about 10 seconds. Just remember to pull on one of the door handles to open the latch before closing the door.

Why go to all that trouble. Just open the door and manually trip the door latch to the closed position with your fingers - inside latch 2 clicks up, outside latch 2 clicks down. Turns off dinging and interior lights. Takes about 10 seconds. Just remember to pull on one of the door handles to open the latch before closing the door.

Thats what I do, but sometimes I forget to pull the door handle first.:confused: One of the times I did that, the door handle didn't open it until after a few pulls. I was worried. So, you have to be careful if you do that.

i think i tried that once, didnt work, maybe i didnt click both latches or something. plus you get greasy fingers form the latches etc etc. this is a neat little wiring mod i did, no one will probably ever do this, but i like wiring stuff so thats y i did it lol.....
its actaully pretty neat, when you open your door, no lights come on, no beeping, start the engine with the door open, no beeping. just the no beeping part is the best part haha

Thanks Ranger379
I just got a '95 Range that is mostly grate, Gas leak(filler neck ) fixed, Needed a key switch, (Didn't need a key) and now I know what to do with that buzzer.
I could have lived with the gas leak an no key. But that buzzer is driving me nuts! Well I didn't to be driven nuts. I could have walked there.

Anyway thank for the Yellow/black strip wire fix.

Marty:bounce:

Back