2004 Explorer - Won't Start, blowing fuel pump fuse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer - Won't Start, blowing fuel pump fuse

jhard

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Limited
Ok, so a bit of a long story, so bear with me! A few days ago I go out to my Ex try to start it up... get a nice cranking, but she just won't fire up. Tried to get a jump, and still no go.

So I get it towed to my mechanic, and after 2 plus hours of trouble shooting they get it started. At that point they told me it kept blowing the fuel pump 20A fuse (Fuse #26), and they ended up swaping out the fuel pump relay with the horn relay just to test it out and that's when she fired up. So they ended up not charging me anything except bringing them back a couple of Xtra Large coffees while I ran over to the local ford to get another relay. So all in all less then $30, thought I got lucky that day.

So 2 days later, I'm out doing a couple things through out the day then hit an automatic "touchless" car wash on my way back home, and just as I'm coming out of the wash the engine dies and just would not fire back up agaun, so I check the fuses and once again the fuel pump fuses is burnt. Tried to put another in, burnt again. Now I got her towed back home, and I'm gonna have to get her looked at more indepth by Ford, as the local electrical places won't touch it because "there's fuel involved".

Has any one experienced this with a 3rd Gen Ex, or possibly has an any ideas where to look. I'm hoping it's just a simple eletrical ground issue where there's some kind of open connection or worn wire in a place that's easily repaired.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah, so I had her towed to the local Ford late last night so she'd be ready when they opened at 7:30am.

Before I called the tow, I went out to try again after letting it sit for a while... just turned the ignition to On and didn't even try to crank it and it blew the fuel pump fuse again.

Now I'm just waiting anxiously for Ford to call me back with the diagnosis.

Got the call from Ford...

After a few hours, they narrowed it down to a short somewhere between the Fuel Pump modulator and the fuel pump. So lots of diggins, aka labour charges... and I got a quote of about $600 to be done and fixed.

Well, there goes the new rims I was about to buy for the new rubber I just got on sale. Going to have to hold off and save some more now.

good you got it fixed, i was going to guess fuel pump. . . .but the water said short,
Any chance did they tell you where it was, i might want to take a look and see what mine looks like.

Well I got the call from Ford to come pick her up, got there, Mechanics notes say "Wiring for fuel pump shorted out under rear bumper", repaired wiring and was getting "Fuel Pressure 50PSI, Clear Codes"

So I get there all excited, pay and when the guy went to bring it around front it wouldn't start again. Same symptoms, cranks strong but just not getting any fuel... only this time the fuel pump fuse WASN'T blowing.

Long story short, I had to leave her over night so they can take a look at it again in the morning. Excuse my language, but what a b*tch!

So, the saga continues. I'll update tomorrow when I get more word from Ford!

Got the next call from Ford, they're telling me that the Fuel Pump Driver Module got fried from the short in the wiring.

So that's another $190 + labour.

EDIT:

Well I went and picked up the truck, everything is back to normal now. The guys at Ford cut me a break and only charged me $114 extra instead of the $190 + labour.

Did you ever get any word as to where the short was near the rear bumper? I have the exact same symptoms going on right now with my '04 Ex. Blows the fuse immediately upon replacing and turning the key on.

Did you ever get any word as to where the short was near the rear bumper? I have the exact same symptoms going on right now with my '04 Ex. Blows the fuse immediately upon replacing and turning the key on.

cause the retard that created the harness on the explore should be shot hung and lynched. the fuel pump driver model is in the right rear quarter panel in vehicle, fuel tank is mid ship pass side. dont ask why the wires go past the tank and back to the tank that boggled me from day 1.

Hey, sorry for the delay in replying...

In my case... The short was located on the fuel pump wiring harness, so all they really did is swap out the old harness for a new one in terms of actual work done.

Is Inertia Fuel Shutoff suppose to be pressed in by itself?

Back