• Register Today It's free!

broken vanity mirror

Chris K.

Reaction score
City, State
Gotham City, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer
Don't get me wrong, I love my 2008 Mountaineer, but come on. I opened the driver's side vanity mirror for maybe the second or third time since I've owned the truck and it broke! One of the hinges just crumbled into pieces. And I didn't and don't flip it up. I gently opened it.

And here's the worst part. I looked all over the Internet and it looks like you can't just buy the door/cover, you have to buy the whole visor at $75-$80.

Now, it's covered under warranty, I hope, but the pain and aggravation of having to take it in just for the Ford boys to say, yeah, it needs to be replaced, but we don’t have that part in stock. Then, I have to take it back again for them to replace it. The gas and time for such a stupid thing is unforgivable.

Anyone know if someone makes an after-market replacement? I can see this happening three or four more times after the truck is out of warranty, because I keep my cars for 10 or more years.

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up a used 07 XLT and the same thing had happened to both of the mirrors! I'll check back to see if you find anything. If I find something, I'll let you know.

2008 Limited

Both of mine broke early on. Ford replaced them at no charge. I am still under warranty.

That is the cheapest way to go in the long run. Call your dealer to see if they have them in stock.

My 07 is out of warranty, so what should I expect to pay to replace 2 broken visor mirrors? Are the new mirrors a better more durable design?

Same thing happened to both covers in our '08 Mountaineer and both were replaced under warranty. Even was in stock the first time.

On the last replacement it looks like the part was available separately and about $25-30, as I recall.

=Vic=

Ford has tsb for them breaking, we always have them in stock. I must have replaced a hundred of them already.

is there any preventive maintenance that can be done so they dont break?

Nope it was a manufacturing defect.

The passenger side mirror isn't broken, and the light still works, but the mirror assembly itself has come away from the visor. It's still hanging on by the fabric, but it's all floppy, since it's no longer anchored to the visor frame (?). I can't tell how it's supposed to be attached. I tried just pushing back in, so see if it's just some sort of pop-stud, but nothing.

Anyone know how the mirror assy attaches to the visor?

Ford has tsb for them breaking, we always have them in stock. I must have replaced a hundred of them already.

So is the replacement visor a better design, so it doesn't break again?

Mine's going in for both tomorrow. Pain in the ass.

I just bought my 08 Mountaineer used. Both of the vanity mirrors were broken as described here.
I had both of them replaced under warranty also.
We will see if they are any better now.

The dealer did not have them in stock but I had reverse sensors installed anyway so they kept the truck overnight and had the parts the next day.

Both of mine broke within the first year. I have read about this happening to others and asked my deler about replacing them. I was told they have never seen any others break and that these are not covered under warranty. Can someone please post the TSB? Thanks!

Here is the tsb
Printable View (47 KB)
TSB
09-2-9 SUN VISOR MIRROR COVER CRACKING - BUILT BETWEEN 1/2/2007 AND 11/3/2008

Publication Date: January 26, 2009

FORD: 2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer
MERCURY: 2007-2009 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2007-2009 Explorer, Mountaineer and Sport Trac vehicles equipped with camel color sun visors built between 1/2/2007 and 11/3/2008 may exhibit a crack in the plastic at the sun visor mirror cover hinge.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace all affected sun visors with new updated parts.
Remove the two (2) sun visor screws on the affected side and disconnect the electrical connector.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7L2Z-7804104-EA Sun Visor Assembly - 2007-2009 MY Non-Illuminated RH Lt Camel
7L2Z-7804104-FA Sun Visor Assembly - 2007-2009 MY Illuminated RH Lt Camel
7L2Z-7804104-GA Sun Visor Assembly - 2007-2009 MY Illuminated RH Lt Camel (Moonroof)
7L2Z-7804105-EA Sun Visor Assembly - 2007-2009 MY Non-Illuminated LH Lt Camel
7L2Z-7804105-FA Sun Visor Assembly - 2007-2009 MY Illuminated LH Lt Camel
7L2Z-7804105-GA Sun Visor Assembly - 2007-2009 MY Illuminated LH Lt Camel (Moonroof)
9L2Z-7804105-CA Sun Visor Assembly - 2007-2009 MY Illuminated RH Lt Camel (With Home Link)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
090209A 2007-2009 Explorer, Mountaineer, Sport Trac: Replace ONE Sun Visor (Do Not Use With 04104A) 0.3 Hr.
090209B 2007-2009 Explorer, Mountaineer, Sport Trac: Replace BOTH Sun Visors (Do Not Use With 04104A) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7804104 d4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2009 Ford Motor Company

Good to know, "updated parts".

The same thing happened to me on my '08 E.B. but it happened at the car wash. As it came off the line, the guy opened the door to spray the dash and wipe it down and he inadvertly flipped the visor back too fast and broke the mirror cover off. He apologized and got the owner and told him what happened and he apologized also and offered to pay to repair it and I said I'll get an estimate and bring a receipt. Anyway I called the dealer to make an appointment and when I brought it in I explained what happened and asked him for a receipt since the carwash owner was going to pay for it. The service guy said " I think I can get it done under warranty ,so let me take a picture of it and send it to Detriot and should have an answer in 15 minutes" He proceeded to do that and only 10 minutes went by and he said "No need to worry its covered" so of course he had to order it and within a week it arrived and I came in and it took them 20 minutes to repair and it was good as new. I went back to the carwash and told the owner he didn't have to worry because it was covered, he still felt bad so he gave me a coupon for 5 full service carwashes on the house which was nice.

My wife and Cousin are your typical women, always pripping and touching up make up so I told them to BE VERY CAREFUL AND BE GENTLE WITH THE VANITY MIRRIORS. So far so good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So if my 07 is out of warranty, I need to pay out of pocket? If so what is the part number, and can I order somewhere online cheaper than the dealership.

Back