Who makes the best transmission cooler? What type is the most efficient? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who makes the best transmission cooler? What type is the most efficient?

protomind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited Edition
I pulled a large one from a junkyard, but I am thinking about getting a huge one possibly. Who make the best one? Will a huge one affect my radiators cooling ability much?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A staked plate cooler is by far the more efficient.

I am foud of the offerings from B & M.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/.../p-2000992/N-111+600003758+4294966774/c-10101
G_10992G_CL_1.jpg

As already mentioned.. stacked plate style is better.. Easier to mount and cools better.

Adding a cooler in front of the a/c condensor shouldn't affect the radiator cooling much if you mount it correctly. With the tube/fin style coolers you normally use the push through mounts which puts the cooler too close to the condensor which can make the a/c not work as well...

Putting two coolers in front of each other in front of the a/c will block too much air (I tried it that way already)..

I have since put two permacool trans coolers (stacked plate) next to each other in front of the a/c condensor (one 24kgvwr and one 30kgvwr cooler).

I also put a fan from a geo prism in front of one of the coolers to help in the stop/go traffic.

~Mark

I ended up at a shop called "detroit speed", it is a high performance car parts shop here in metro detroit, I walked out with two B&M 70624 filter kits. I thought it was a great deal so I hopped on it. They were having some sort of employee discount sale so I paid 50$ per kit. I removed the stock filter and replaced it with the two new B&M filters.
Did I do good? I hope so.
I forgot my camera to take pics with, but I will try to get a couple of pics up for yall to look at. I am hoping that you guys will tell me I put them into a good place.

I mounted them in a similar place to where the original was mounted. The B&M kit came with plenty of hardware. I used the included hardware along with a drill bit to make a hole here and there. I think I did a good job. They are sturdy and look nice and clean. When I get into my new place I will add a tranny filter and temp gauge as well as paint the mounting hardware black.

Below are some pics with the grill in place, but you can easily see where they are.

th_58760_IMG_0460_0Large5_122_874lo.jpg
th_58766_IMG_0461_9Large0_122_506lo.jpg
th_58773_IMG_0462_6Large9_122_448lo.jpg

So what do you think?

I will try and get you some, possibly in about an hour, if not then around noonish.

aldive
Here are the pics as promised. . . . . tell me what you think seriously. Are they obstructive for other cooling components? Are they mounted well? Do they look well done? At a later date I will paint the hardware black.

th_12028_IMG_0466_8Large0_122_242lo.jpg
th_12029_IMG_0467_5Large8_122_1111lo.jpg
th_12030_IMG_0469_6Large2_122_112lo.jpg
th_12036_IMG_0470_8Large1_122_406lo.jpg

th_12041_IMG_0471_3Large3_122_970lo.jpg

Thanks alot =-)
Do you think I choose a good placement?

Back