• Register Today It's free!

tuneup for 2003 ford explorer xlt

bubbleh1

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsland, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I want go give my explorer a basic tuneup any recommendations on spark plugs any other assessories I should use to complete this tuneup?

Thanks

TJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine?

Just tuned up my 03 XLT/AWD 4.0... I know that some people are going to curse me, but I put Iridium NGK plugs in and Taylor Spiro Wires. It immediately seemed like it was rejuvenated and ready to romp. The truck has 150,000 miles on it, but now feels as though she is running like brand new again.

I want go give my explorer a basic tuneup any recommendations on spark plugs any other assessories I should use to complete this tuneup?

Thanks

TJ

Most agree that going with Motorcraft spark plugs is the best thing to do.
Other things you may want to replace during the tune up that many people probably look over may be:

1)Spark plug wires- Not only the plugs wear out, but the wires do too.
2)Air filter- cheap and easy, and may improve gas mileage if the old one was bad
3)Fuel filter- a clogged fuel filter can lead to blowing your fuel pump.
4)Possibly transmission, and/or rear differential fluids based on mileage

I didn't think about the fuel filter, but I would agree that this probably should be replaced too. My explorer has just over 80,000 miles and it is running kind of rough right now.

A friend of my told me that ac delco platinum spark plugs what I should use...thoughts?

Are these plugs and wires normally a no no for using on fords?

Are these plugs and wires normally a no no for using on fords?

Its better to stick with OEM plugs, can't go wrong, the engine was 'calibrated' with stock plugs any changes might affect things, run worse etc. Although some will claim otherwise, but a lot of 'Marketing' goes into selling auto parts, to bad most engines can't read . . . lol. .

Yours is an '4.6L thus no spark plug wires only thing for a tune-up at 80k would be Plugs (read up on those first), and fuel filter, and if its the original Coolant good time to change that too. Of course changing all the fluids a second or third time in the Diff's, xfr cases might be a good idea too. Of course if money is a problem you can stretch it over a year, it doesn't have to happen all at once.

Back