Post Double Din pics.. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post Double Din pics..

Nice.
Don't feel bad about not getting a touch screen. Your not missing much. They look good till you try to operate a virtual button that you can't feel on a moving vehicle.

There are aftermarket rear view camera systems that have a small LCD display inside the rear view mirror. It may be a good option for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How's the JVC treating you?

Touch screens have their ups and downs.. Usually more downs..

I agree touchscreen with dials are better than ones without. As for this JVC, I really like the functionality of the unit, Bluetooth works great and I usually use google maps or the Waze app as my gps and turn by turn directions are heard through the speakers. Colors are fully customizable and now I can talk to someone without putting them on the speaker through the phone. It has Pandora also which I do not use, it's simple yet effective and a whole lot better than the OEM unit :D I would recommend to anyone looking to change up their factory double din stereo. Also it doesn't look odd in the dash, looks like factory installed.

How's the JVC treating you?

Touch screens have their ups and downs.. Usually more downs..

No problems. The only issue I have is I got the 60bt in the car and bought the 61bt for the truck. I was told the only difference is the 61 comes with the updated firmware. I already updated the 60.
But the 61 takes a long time and sometimes requires a restart to get the bluetooth audio streaming to work. Unlike the 60, the 61 can have a bluetooth phone connected and a different bluetooth audio device. So when I start the truck the phone connects rather fast but sometimes takes some messing with before it starts playing music.
The car (kw-av60bt) Picks right up where it left off every time.

One thing that is kills me on bolth is when your listening to music and that stupid emergancy alert system goes off. Telling me there's a storm 20 miles away. It defaults to a high valume and plays the alarm through all speakers and subs. And the controlls on the head unit lock out so you have to dig the phone out of your pocket to turn it off while an alarm is blaring. Done it to me 3 times this year.

Just installed my JVC KW-R910BT. So far, its a great double din.

Attachments

• IMG_3334.jpg
    IMG_3334.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 534

here is a pic of my pioneer setup in my truck i also replaced all the door speakers with new kicker 6x8s and added a small 12 inch mtx sub in the back

IMG_20140828_161523968_HDR_zps66a90bce.jpg

As DJ said. Most head units (that I've looked at) have an on screen option to switch to the camera in addition to automaticly switching when in reverse. On my JVC it's never more then two clicks away. Same on kenwoods. Provided the camera has power.

I found that license plate mounted cameras work best when mounted on the top of the plate. The overhang keeps the snow and crap off them. Besides the places my truck ends up it would be more of a fish finder then a camera. lol

Yea. I've seen some nightmares too. Just completely ruin a vehicle. Turning a monkey loose with wire clippers in your car can do less damage, with about the same result too :)

It took me a while, but I finally figured out what you guys were talking about (it's me not you). I ran another wire and I can switch to the camera at any point now. Pretty sweet.

here is a pic of my pioneer setup in my truck i also replaced all the door speakers with new kicker 6x8s and added a small 12 inch mtx sub in the back

Looks nice.
How do you like those kickers? I was thinking of getting them myself. I've never been happy with the mid range on the explorer, I'm curious to know if it's the factory speakers or the location/door that suck. Probably both.

PS. That red switch..brown wire mod?

It took me a while, but I finally figured out what you guys were talking about (it's me not you). I ran another wire and I can switch to the camera at any point now. Pretty sweet.
Good... It comes in handy :)

Looks nice.
How do you like those kickers? I was thinking of getting them myself. I've never been happy with the mid range on the explorer, I'm curious to know if it's the factory speakers or the location/door that suck. Probably both.

PS. That red switch..brown wire mod?

Good... It comes in handy :)

i love the kickers so far they have a great sound and dont cost a arm and a leg, and nope that switch is for the laughing gas lol.

Kenwood DP-X500BT. No flashy colors, old school for me. Unit on top of dash is a aftermarket HD dashcam continuous loop recording. Thumb switch below in center of the console are KC Highlites 6315 130W driving lights mounted on a Westin Safari Bar.
(You can also see my NRA Life Member sticker strategically placed on my rear garage door in the background.) :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20141002_003513.jpg
    20141002_003513.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 854

Kenwood DP-X500BT. No flashy colors, old school for me. Unit on top of dash is a aftermarket HD dashcam continuous loop recording. Thumb switch below in center of the console are KC Highlites 6315 130W driving lights mounted on a Westin Safari Bar.
(You can also see my NRA Life Member sticker strategically placed on my rear garage door in the background.) :thumbsup:

I've got the same dash cam. ;)

you guys catch any crazy stuff on those cams? Thinking about getting one so a college student has proof if ever needed haha

you guys catch any crazy stuff on those cams? Thinking about getting one so a college student has proof if ever needed haha

Haven't caught anything too strange on mine. Have seen a few speeders and dangerous lane changers, but nothing really scary. Other than a tiger I saw in a cattle hauler once. Circus was in town and they were transporting a full size real life tiger. As I passed by I got a good look at it and it looked right at me. Now that's something you don't see everyday.

First day I put it on I caught an idiot trying to cut me off.. This morning I nearly side swiped a car that didn't see me, then nearly t boned another car.
I'm thinking of uploading these to YouTube as a video series on "Drivers of Toronto" but I'm not sure how many views I'd get.

Will a 7" double din just sit right in there or do I need to get the dash install kit for it? It looks like it should just sit right in there right?

Will a 7" double din just sit right in there or do I need to get the dash install kit for it? It looks like it should just sit right in there right?

You've gotta cut part of the dash to fit it, and then you need the double din kit to put it in.

Back