Truck stalls at low RPM, bogs down when gas applied | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck stalls at low RPM, bogs down when gas applied

Clusterpup

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport Trac 4x4
Having some trouble with my truck, wondered if the forum could help me out. My truck started stalling when I pressed the clutch or went out of gear. Every time I stopped it would stall and I would have to start it and apply a little gas to keep it from stalling. Then it started to bog down when I gave it gas while driving and the more I pressed the pedal the more it would bog down, almost like I was applying the breaks. Checked the codes and its throwing 0135 1131 (both of which Ive had forever) and a new code, 1401. I figured it must be the DPFE sensor so I changed it. No difference, still have the same problem. Now I noticed today while testing it it was idling high, above 2000. Any ideas?

P0135 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1
P1131 Insuff, switching O2 bank 1 sensor 1 sensor/lean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need to replace the O2 sensor on the left manifold pipe to fix the old codes. The P1401, since you replaced the DPFE sensor already, will need some electrical troubleshooting. I don't believe that's your bog problem though. Fuel filter/fuel pressure or vacuum leak is likely there. You haven't gotten a P0171/P0174? Checked the famous cracked PCV elbow? Do you know how to check the DPFE & it's signals?

Post this on the other site and see if L1TECH will help out.

I replaced the DPFE sensor after the trouble but that aparently wasn't the problem. I'm dont hear any vacuum leaks and I replaced the hose by the PCV valve not too long ago. When I say the engine bogs down I mean the truck isnt drivable, I can only go about one mile per hour, if I give it a little gas the engine slows down the truck. There was also a odd smell coming from the truck afterwards. I have to drive my wifes car to work this week now and its killing me, I need to be able to see over the other vehicles!!:frustrate

Do you think the O2 sensor malfunction could cause this?

I really don't think a HO2S would do this. You say you "replaced the hose by the PCV valve". The one at the front of the engine or at the rear? Just sounds like you're sucking a LOT of air or getting no fuel.

You clear the codes and the same ones come back, and only those two?

I replaced the one at the rear of the engine, the L shaped one. Even when the truck had a hole in that hose it just ran a little rough. I'm wondering if it could be the TPS. I going to look in the manuals this evening and look up the trouble shooting proceedure for it or I may just replace and see as its not expensive.

When I took the truck for a test drive yesterday I had cleared the codes but the CEL hasnt come back on yet. I only got to drive it around my apt building though.

The front PCV hose is the one that gives the most problem. Check the underside of it. But it still shouldn't kill your truck like that!

PCVelbow.jpg

Check to be sure the MAF is plugged up good and the intake hoses are connected tight.

You know what, I do hear a small vacuum leak but couldn't locate it when I looked for it after work. I did however disco the battery to reset the computer and took the truck for a drive (a couple of miles) and it didn't give me any problems. No CEL as of yet, weird.

It will take more than a few miles usually for the codes to set. I hope it improves with a reset but don't get your hopes up too high yet.

Yeah my hopes are not too high just yet. I'm not going to drive it to work this weekend because I dont want to brakedown in bumper to bumper traffic or on the highway.

another gremlin for this type of behavior is the mass air flow sensor. just spraying the sensor with a couple shots of electric parts cleaner(DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER!!!!!) usually does the trick. careful though its about as fragile as a light bulb so hold the can like a foot away when you spray it.

Yeah I may go to home depot today and see if I can get one of those security torx to remove the MAF.

Sounds like you need to replace the O2 sensor on the left manifold pipe to fix the old codes. The P1401, since you replaced the DPFE sensor already, will need some electrical troubleshooting. I don't believe that's your bog problem though. Fuel filter/fuel pressure or vacuum leak is likely there. You haven't gotten a P0171/P0174? Checked the famous cracked PCV elbow? Do you know how to check the DPFE & it's signals?

Post this on the other site and see if L1TECH will help out.

Steve, you saying its the O2 sensor on the drivers side, on the manifold?

Oh also, do you know what size O2 removal socket I will need?

Having some trouble with my truck, wondered if the forum could help me out. My truck started stalling when I pressed the clutch or went out of gear. Every time I stopped it would stall and I would have to start it and apply a little gas to keep it from stalling. Then it started to bog down when I gave it gas while driving and the more I pressed the pedal the more it would bog down, almost like I was applying the breaks. Checked the codes and its throwing 0135 1131 (both of which Ive had forever) and a new code, 1401. I figured it must be the DPFE sensor so I changed it. No difference, still have the same problem. Now I noticed today while testing it it was idling high, above 2000. Any ideas?

P0135 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1
P1131 Insuff, switching O2 bank 1 sensor 1 sensor/lean
Check your 3rd catalytic converter I'll net its plugged

Back