Where is the Crankshaft Sensor located at? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the Crankshaft Sensor located at?

N2bnfunn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
Hello so where is the Crankshaft Sensor located at on a 95 Explorer 4WD 4.0L EFI

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That thing is located at the back of the engine jambed close to the firewall. Oops, was thinking of the CAMSHAFT sensor! Sry.

CKP location

The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is mounted on the engine front timing cover. It senses the teeth on the trigger wheel attached to the harmonic dampener. Because of being located near the bottom of the engine compartment it is exposed to road grime and water, etc. and the electrical contacts may get corroded. Disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical connector several times cleans the contacts.

The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is mounted on the engine front timing cover. It senses the teeth on the trigger wheel attached to the harmonic dampener. Because of being located near the bottom of the engine compartment it is exposed to road grime and water, etc. and the electrical contacts may get corroded. Disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical connector several times cleans the contacts.

Ok I think I know where you are talking about if I get under the truck and where the belt goes around the crankshaft puller it is plug beside it? Is that where it is at?

I just replaced my crankshaft position sensor on my 97 Explorer 5.0. The sensor is right in the front by the water pump and the fan. The best way, well what I found out the hard way, to replace is to take of the belt. It gets in the way a little bit. The bolts are 8mm (I found that 5/16 fits more snuggly and that is what i used in the end.
The problem i ran into is my 8mm socket was cracked and i didn't know this until i was trying to get that dang bottom bolt out and ended up stripping it! Don't strip it (obviously) it is a pain in the arse!! by far the worst!
so easiest way, remove the 2 bolts (top and bottom) easiest way you can; crawling under, laying on the engine, ect.. then just unplug it. it came right out for me, well after the back-breaker of removing my stripped bolt.
then plug the new one in. My explorer started right up after that!, well i had to reset via taking off the battery terminals and waiting 10 seconds
PS i also, while turning the key over, i didn't initially "start" the vehicle, i waited until i hear the fuel pump actually pump fuel, then turned off. I repeated that 3 times so i had plenty of fuel in there then she cranked right over..

I should say that my initial problem and why i had to replace the sensor is because one morning she just decided not to start... go figure it happened to be the day i needed her the most haha!! i narrowed it down to the crankshaft position sensor then replaced.

Ok I thought that was it, I just can't get the wire plug off, with out breaking it? What is the best way to unplug it with out breaking the plug?

remove the bolts, then unplug her.. pretty straight forward. nothing should break, well at least nothing broke on me.

i was told the way to test it is to put your multimeter on ac and attach the leads to the sensor and crank it. it should read millivolts in ac. can you also test it at the icm that way i can test the connection as well? if i probe the pip connection at the icm should it flash?

I'm not aware of any multimeter that will flash when detecting a few millivolts change in amplitude. The PCM input that senses the CKP sensor output is a solid state device. As I recall its voltage to ground is about 0.5 volts. The few millivolts change from the CKP sensor relative to the 0.5 volts of the PCM input will probably be ignored by your multimeter.

I'm not aware of any multimeter that will flash when detecting a few millivolts change in amplitude.
A fluke meter will but I doubt that he/she has a $$$$meter

Besides that sensor is cheap if I had any doubt I'd just buy a new one
Wow I just realized this thread is like 8 years old

You could do this with a Fluke, or any decent meter, by capturing the min/max values.

Back