How to: - Dana 44 TTB outers on a Dana 35 TTB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Trckmagik

Ole Bag
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Celina, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a complete dana 44 TTB axle and am looking to put the outers (spindle, brakes, hubs, etc) on my Dana 35. I have heard of this being done, but cant find any good info as to what is invloved.

There is a very vague write up on www.therangerstation.com regarding this modification.

http://www.therangerstation.com/35with44parts.html

Please let me know if any of you have done this or know someone whom has done this. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

If ya wanted to keep the TTB then I'd do it. Sounds like a very easy upgrade.

Yeah this subject is Vauge just like the www.therangerstation.com write up. I am going to be writing them an E-mail as it is NOT a bolt up swap.

I still have a solid axle swapped explorer (Big Purple one), I am just trying to do something diff on this trail explorer. I dont want all my explorers the same :)

Kris, you need to send me some pictures of what you have done as I would really like to do this.

I plan to take pictures. I cant right now cause my Knuckles are at the machine Shop for the second time now.

PLEASE keep this thread going Kris, we are counting on you right now :)

If and when I go 35's I want to ditch the D35 spindles....

Im interested in this tooo:D , Cant wait to see the results, SO will doing this allow us to also run bigger tires? Liek maybe a 37? ir jsut make it run a 35' with out breakign alot of stuff?

Dont worry I will keep yall informed. I was not going to post about the project till I knew for a fact Everything was going to work. At this time I have Run in to two major set backs that cause this not to be a very easy swap.

Mostly with the Ball joints and tie rod ends. I chose to modify only the Knuckle.

The Reason I am doing this is cause I am going to be running 35s on My daily Driver (Navajo) and would like to keep the TTB since my broken down trail rig (Explorer) is going Solid after some new Drive train mods.

I was gonna post my reasons for keeping the TTB too but then I figured "Screw em" to each his own, damn TTB haters......hahahaha

I LOVE THE TTB....I am gonna make some T shirts.
I have dubbed the TTB the "Snow plow" of front axles because of its lack of ground clearance....mine sure does ride nice on the street and it flexes like mad, what mpore could you want? Oh yeah thats right better wheel bearing spacing...

OK ok Kris so I am guessing from your thread:
A. the Ball joints on the D44 knuckle are the wrong size

B. The tie rod hole is also the wrong size.

So my next assumption would be that they were both too big and you are having them made smaller to fit the 35 ttb ball joints and tie rods.

My next question would be couldnt the D35 TTB knuckle be machined to accept the larger D44 spindle?

Sorry if I am way off base, just thinking out loud, with text.....I have never had the luxury of holding the D44 TTB knuckle up next to the D35 TTB knuckle.......

i got a ?, hope its ok to post in here:D

Would a D44 TTB swap be pretty easy? are teh brackets close? I Know i know, whjy not go solid, Right? I think solid is the choice to, which one day i will, but prolly not right now, neither would i swap a D44 TTB in, But i was jsut woundering if one would work, with out a lot of fabbing,work. I know it would require soem work, and not be a direct bolt in.

PEACE

the D44 TTB will not bolt in, sorry.
The mounts are wrong, the diff is too damn big, the radius arms are out further, the coil mounts etc etc etc.

Yes it has been done, no it is not easy, in fact it is probably easier to put in a solid axle.

Originally posted by 410Fortune

A. the Ball joints on the D44 knuckle are the wrong size

Bingo the 44 ball joint are much Bigger. My solution Machine a sleave to fit an Explorer Ball Joint.

B. The tie rod hole is also the wrong size.

Nope the Tie rod on a 44 Knuckle mount to the Bottom and it needs to mount to the Top. My Solution is to Drill out tie rod mount and press in a Taper the opposite direction.

My next question would be couldnt the D35 TTB knuckle be machined to accept the larger D44 spindle?

Problem is the Spindle have a different bolt count and the Brake caliper is larger for the larger Rotor. Dana 35 knuckles wont work

Excellent, thank you.

This brings up more questions in my head:
1. Does the D44 upper ball joint use a camber shim and if it does is said camber shim the same O.D. as the d35 shims?

2. could a combination cone stlye ball joint be used to mate the D44 knuckle to the D35 beam? I know some companies make a "cone" type ball joint, these suckers are rebuildable and are used for desert racing. Autofab sells them, they are very expensive, but a die hard TTB person may wish to invest in these, especially if they can be used to mate the D44 knuckle to the D35 beam.

3. What about the outer axle shaft that goes through the spindle to the hub? How do you mate the D35 axle shaft to teh D44 outer shaft and are there any length issues here?

Kris I am sure you have thought this far ahead since you are having machine work done. I know you dont want to post all your secrets, but I am trying to squeeze the info out of you anyways, for the benefit of the masses (mostly Brian and myself really)

Ans now we know why the info on the Rangerstation is so foggy.....somebody didnt go all the way with it, they compared the two and said, heck that "looks" like it will bolt up, I am going to go tell everyone it does!!

Kris, good solutions for SURE! You could ALMOST make a kit and sell it......

The Upper Ball joint does use a Camber bushing on the dana 44 TTB. But I tryed Fitting a dana 44 camber bushing on the Dana 35 and it fits really loose and I would fear the Bushing would move too much and Cause the Truck to get out of alignment. Note you can not use a dana 35 camber bushing on a 44 ball joint. Since I desided to go with an Explorer lower ball joint I figured why not just use an Explorer upper as well.

Now on the Race ball joint I am not sure about.

The Shafts should not have any length problems. Just install dana 44 stubs on a Dana 35 inner shaft

Kris,

Thanks for helping me out. Your info is for sure going to help me as I have both axles sitting on my garage floor just waiting for me to tear into them. Keep us posted.

well I put my New Wheels and tires on Layaway. :D I am paying on them Slowly till I I am ready to install them. Its sad cause I am Spending more on wheels and Tires them I was planning on but oh well you only live once.

Kris Please let us know some updates. Very Interested.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should have an update by Monday on the Knuckle work.

I went all out of Wheels and Tires though. 17x8 MB70 with a set of BFG Mud Terrain 35x 12.50 17 I hope to have it all Done before Summer. Including the New paint Job.

Back