2005 Ford Explorer cabin air filter location? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer cabin air filter location?

RMG1999

Reaction score
City, State
danbury, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 xlt
Hi

Where is the cabin air filter for 2005 ford explorer located and how do i change it ?

what is the best recommended replacement unit (cost & performance)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol

There isn't a cabin air filter in an 05 Explorer :)

Huh? Hows that work? Please explain to those of us used to older cars the process of getting the dust and junk from going in the vents from outside.

I could use help with my 2004 Explorer. My dash vents seem to have very little air coming out. I can hear the fan speed up but no more air. Dropped the fan motor behind the Glove Box and put my hand up the tube and was able to bounce what looked like a filter and leaves started falling down. Got out as many as I could but there has to be an easier way to get the leaves out.
How do they get in there in the first place.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

Huh? Hows that work? Please explain to those of us used to older cars the process of getting the dust and junk from going in the vents from outside.

What does any of that have to do with a 2005 Explorer and that fact that it doesn't have a cabin air filter?

What does any of that have to do with a 2005 Explorer and that fact that it doesn't have a cabin air filter?

Just stick the garden hose in the defrost vents and let it run for an hour or so. Just dont forget to open a door so it can drain. I think this procedure applies to every year Explorer. :D

Help with leaves in the air filter 2004 Explorer XLT

I'm new to the stuff and I could use help with my 2004 Explorer. My dash vents seem to have very little air coming out. I can hear the fan speed up but no more air. Dropped the fan motor behind the Glove Box and put my hand up the tube and was able to bounce what looked like a filter and leaves started falling down. Got out as many as I could but there has to be an easier way to get the leaves out. Does anyone know a solution? I can't see how to get to the filter to pull it out and clean it.

How do they get in there in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

Me too

I've got the same problem. I wish someone on this forum could answer you. You're not alone.

I'm working on a solution. I might try to open the glove box to get to the black plastic the filter is in, then cut a small rectangle flap out and vacume out the leaves.
I also discovered my outside air flap is stuck open. In Florida in 95 degree heat it makes my AC work way less effective so for $50 I'm going to have a buddy of my make it stick in the closed position so it only recycles air.
Hope we both get a better answer.
Gary

Air Flow

I'm working on a solution. I might try to open the glove box to get to the black plastic the filter is in, then cut a small rectangle flap out and vacume out the leaves.
I also discovered my outside air flap is stuck open. In Florida in 95 degree heat it makes my AC work way less effective so for $50 I'm going to have a buddy of my make it stick in the closed position so it only recycles air.
Gary

There is no cabin filter in your Explorer. If you cut the plenum open you will find the evap. coil. If your outside air duct is not working you should check the pneumatic control valve that works that. As far as I know if you just pull the vacuum line off it it will close.

If your evap. coil is plugged up with dirt and stuff, that's a big deal to get it out and clean it.

I have a couple of ideas on cleaning the coil. If you want Ill post some pictures on how I cut mine open to repair the blend door. I think once you have the access opening cut in you can clean it up...

The problem is, there is no filter so everything will stick to the coil. Not good.

Not sure on your truck but I would pull the blower motor first from under the hood and take a look inside. Easy to do and you may find a lot of crap you can clean out. The blower wheel may also have a bunch of dirt in it.

I would just start there. Post back what you find. And trust me, cutting that plenum apart is not easy so start with the blower motor.

Good Luck and Go Hawks,
Bob

There is no cabin filter in your Explorer. If you cut the plenum open you will find the evap. coil. If your outside air duct is not working you should check the pneumatic control valve that works that. As far as I know if you just pull the vacuum line off it it will close.

If your evap. coil is plugged up with dirt and stuff, that's a big deal to get it out and clean it.

I have a couple of ideas on cleaning the coil. If you want Ill post some pictures on how I cut mine open to repair the blend door. I think once you have the access opening cut in you can clean it up...

The problem is, there is no filter so everything will stick to the coil. Not good.

Not sure on your truck but I would pull the blower motor first from under the hood and take a look inside. Easy to do and you may find a lot of crap you can clean out. The blower wheel may also have a bunch of dirt in it.

I would just start there. Post back what you find. And trust me, cutting that plenum apart is not easy so start with the blower motor.

Good Luck and Go Hawks,
Bob
Thanks for your response Bob

I would really appreciate if you could post some photos as promised. Or just email them to me at rmg1999@hotmail.com if not possible to post.

Your help is much appreciated..

There is no cabin air filter in the 02-05 Explorers.

As far as the fan blowing but no air moving, it sounds like your fresh air door is broken and has dropped down t the bottom restricting the air flow through the fan, happend to a friend of mine. Open your glove box all the way to look into the black grated area behind the glove box to see if it is present. If not then you will need to repair/replace it and there are numberous posts on this issue. If you do a search in this forum, you should find your answers.

I have not checked my 05 Sport Trac, but the air is flowing fine, so I have not been concerned. I had a similar problem on a 93 Grand Am GT. I ended up removing the blower motor under the hood, and removed the blower resistor so it did not get damaged. I then sprayed orange degreaser down the tube directly at the evaporator (I could just see it). I let is soak for a bit, then used the garden hose to flush the evaporator in spurts. You cannot use too much water at one time as it will fill up and run out your lower vents in the cabin, so I suggest putting some towels down if you get too much water in. The first time I did it, the water drained very slowly out the evaporator drain, so I shoved my shop vac down the tunnel and it sucked out a bunch of crap and cleared the blockage. I repeated this three times and then let it dry. My flow came back as good as new.

I'm not sure if this would work on the Sport Trac, but it is a bigger and costly job to try and remove the evaporator so for the bit of water mess it might be worth a shot.

Just stick the garden hose in the defrost vents and let it run for an hour or so. Just dont forget to open a door so it can drain. I think this procedure applies to every year Explorer. :D
I have to try this with my '05 Mountaieer. Smells like a musty movie theater when I start up. Maybe I'll preload the hose with some Listerine to help the clean out process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gary
Cold air in glove box -OR- No air flow from vents on Max AC - Here's a workaround

Back