How to reset the Oil Monitor sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to reset the Oil Monitor sensor

cbx1047

Reaction score
City, State
waikesha, wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 limited
resetting oil life

I just changed my oil at 4700 miles, and wanted to reset the oil life monitor. I have a limited and the owner manual stated to go to system and oil life and reset. I did that and when I pushed the OK it just went to the next system check item?!@#$. whats up? How can I reset it to 0%?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did my first oil change a few weeks ago and it took me forever to figure this out. I'm still not sure the exact steps, but it's in the left LCD menu and not the one you are looking at.

I'm sure someone will post here before I next am in my X (pouring rain outside now). But play in the left LCD screen, and you will find it. It's obvious because you will see a reset option.

I just changed my oil at 4700 miles, and wanted to reset the oil life monitor. I have a limited and the owner manual stated to go to system and oil life and reset. I did that and when I pushed the OK it just went to the next system check item?!@#$. whats up? How can I reset it to 0%?

push and hold down until it resets

As a side note, I also always clear the Trip #2 since I use this to easily and quickly give me an indication as to the number of miles on that oil change. I use Trip #1 for miles between gas fill ups.

Just had to run out for milk so checked this. Here's the proper path -

Settings > Vehicle > Reset Oil Life (it's almost the last option)

Then just select what % you want to set it to.

As a side note, I also always clear the Trip #2 since I use this to easily and quickly give me an indication as to the number of miles on that oil change. I use Trip #1 for miles between gas fill ups.

Ditto

Reset Oil Life indicator

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited with MyFord Touch. I just had my first oil change at 4800 miles ( the system did not indicated I needed one, but the car is 7 months old and I try to stay on a 5k mile or 6 month max ). When I picked the SUV up at the dealer, the oil life indicator was still showing 45%. The oil life indicator is located on the left panel ; you can navigate to this indicator by going to Information > System Check > Oil Life.
The service writer was not able to tell me how to reset this function.
I assume you need to reset if you are going to reset when the computer will indicate the next oil change. I have read the owners manual ( and cannot find any clues on how to reset this function ). Can anyone help step me thru the steps to reset oil life indicator function ?

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited with MyFord Touch. I just had my first oil change at 4800 miles ( the system did not indicated I needed one, but the car is 7 months old and I try to stay on a 5k mile or 6 month max ). When I picked the SUV up at the dealer, the oil life indicator was still showing 45%. The oil life indicator is located on the left panel ; you can navigate to this indicator by going to Information > System Check > Oil Life.
The service writer was not able to tell me how to reset this function.
I assume you need to reset if you are going to reset when the computer will indicate the next oil change. I have read the owners manual ( and cannot find any clues on how to reset this function ). Can anyone help step me thru the steps to reset oil life indicator function ?

To reset it. Go to Information > System Check > Oil Life. All you need to do is hold the OK button on the left part of the steering wheel. Then a little blue bar should show up. Wait for it to finish loading by holding the OK button and you're done. 100% should show up.

Settings
Vehicle Setting
Oil Life Reset
Select 100%
Hit OK

All done with the left side LCD. We just discussed this a few days ago.

Oil life monitor

Does it just monitor your driving or is there an actual oil sensor?

Had my oil changed last month and the oil change reminder just popped up?

If no actual sensors, can I reset it myself?

Was it reset when the oil was changed? Seems a bit soon to go off again.

cnsheets said:
Was it reset when the oil was changed? Seems a bit soon to go off again.

I don't know. I am guessing it wasn't, been less than 1000 miles.

So either it wasn't reset or they didn't change the oil.

Could have changed it and just not reset it. I would just reset it.

Yes. Reset with the controls on the left side LCD screen. You should select something less than 100% when you do the reset since you have driven about 1,000 miles already. I suggest 90%.

I also use the Trip 2 odo to keep track on miles driven on the oil change. After an oil change I make sure the oil life indicator has been reset to 100% and clear the trip 2 screen.

I am running full synthetic and changing at about the 7,000 miles mark. A little early. About 75% expired, or 25% remaining.

Can someone verify that there is actually some sort of monitoring going on rather than a simple mileage-based indicator? Or is there some sort of vehicle use tracking/algorithm for determining oil life expectancy based upon severity of use (dusty, humid, short-trip, etc.)?

Does it just monitor your driving or is there an actual oil sensor?

Had my oil changed last month and the oil change reminder just popped up?

I believe that it monitors the type of driving you do to determine oil life. I do more short trips than highway type driving and according to another thread I saw on this, my oil life percentage per mileage driven was lower than what others were reporting.
In any case, I continue to change the oil as I always have with my past few vehicles. Every 6 months or 5000 miles, which ever comes first.

I'm pretty sure it's some algorithm based on type of driving. I find it odd on my wife's edge that you have the option of resetting the oil life to increments of 5 on a percentage of life like 100, 95, 90, ect

Does it just monitor your driving or is there an actual oil sensor?...
Could have changed it and just not reset it. I would just reset it.
Yes. Reset with the controls on the left side LCD screen. You should select something less than 100% when you do the reset since you have driven about 1,000 miles already. I suggest 90%...
Hey everybody,

Thanks for explaining how to reset the oil life monitor. This is just another example of why this community is awesome. :D

Can someone verify that there is actually some sort of monitoring going on rather than a simple mileage-based indicator? Or is there some sort of vehicle use tracking/algorithm for determining oil life expectancy based upon severity of use (dusty, humid, short-trip, etc.)?
The oil life monitor is based off the conditions the engine is driven under. Load, temperature, run time, etc... These all change how the oil breaks down. It all depends on the driving habits. :)

Cory

thanks, I figured they forgot to reset it, used to happen all the time in my Silverado, but no adjustments - had to just turn the key on and off and floor the gas pedal several times and it reset.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everybody,
The oil life monitor is based off the conditions the engine is driven under. Load, temperature, run time, etc... These all change how the oil breaks down. It all depends on the driving habits. :)

Cory

Cory - is there a way to tell how many miles are left before the "change oil soon" message appears? I get a little paranoid waiting on the message to appear and it would be great to see the oil life count down on occation.

Best Regards,
Jim

Back