fly weel screws wrench and torque question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fly weel screws wrench and torque question?

balston

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer
Hi guys i need to know which wrench type and size i need to remove the flyweel on my ford explorer 2003 4L xls...Also i need to know about how manyt torque does the bolts need.

Hi guys i need to know which wrench type and size i need to remove the flyweel on my ford explorer 2003 4L xls...Also i need to know about how manyt torque does the bolts need.

This is what the Haynes Manual says for the V-6 enigine on torque for the Flywheel/Driveplate. This is the way it is written in the Haynes manual:

Flywheel bolts:
Step 1: 120 inch lbs
Step 2: 52 ft lbs

Driveplate Bolts:
Step 1: 115 inch lbs
Step 2: 37 ft Lbs
Step 3: Tighten an additional 90 degrees

If you aren't sure about what you are doing down there, I would suggest you get a Haynes manual for your vehicle (around $25), because there appears to be a Flywheel bolt tightening sequence you need to follow and you need to make markings on the flywheel/driveplate and crankshaft, to ensure proper alignment during reinstallation. Can't help you on the wrench part of your question. Good luck! BTW, my Haynes Manual states it is for 2002-2010 Explorers or Mountaineers, the manual doesn't specify if it for "Explorer Sports" like yours and I do not know if the specs I gave you from it are the same for your vehicle. You might want to check into that before you do anything.

Back