• Register Today It's free!

Chevy LS swap?

blakshukvw

Reaction score
City, State
K.C. mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
I searched on google and on here and didn't get much. Has it been done into an AWD 5.0 truck? Mustang guys do it. I know we're not talking apples to apples but does anyone know if it's been done?

I'm asking cause my 5.0 has 175K on it and it's getting tired. Looking to explore all options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is a guy on here that is putting a LS1 into a 01-03 sport, but i cant remember his name

What kind of blower is on your truck? How are you fueling it?

I wouldn't want alot of hp on the awd part. I would consider a t-case swap if you raised the power alot. With all the options for a 5.0, is there a major reason for putting a LS1 in it? Or are you just kicking around all options. Not saying don't do it, just curious.

An LS1 makes a lot more power just in stock form than a 5.0 and they're readily available. I am just kicking around all options. I would consider building a new engine but I would like around 350hp and don't want to sacrifice torque.

Have to invest in some $800 plus headers as well. I wouldn't mind installing a blower.

The AWD has been real dependable for me. It's not much different than 4WD. Different transfer case only I would guess.

Cool, like I said, just curious. I completely understand sometimes its cheaper to change power trains to achieve the goal.

The awd transfer case will not only suck power, but won't hold up long to 300hp. Thats why I am mentioning swapping it out.

this swap would be the ultimate sleeper

You don't want to spend $800 on headers? How much do you think a custom oil pan, exhaust manifolds/headers, adapters, ECU etc is going to cost?

I get so sick of everyone wanting to stick a Chevy in a Ford because they are "readily available" and/or cheap.

You don't want to spend $800 on headers? How much do you think a custom oil pan, exhaust manifolds/headers, adapters, ECU etc is going to cost?

I get so sick of everyone wanting to stick a Chevy in a Ford because they are "readily available" and/or cheap.

My point exactly. If I'm going to have to buy an $800 set of headers(which is a no brainer on a built 302) why not at least consider the swap. Pan doesn't scare me. That's relatively easy to overcome. ECU would be an issue for sure. Mustang guys just use the Camaro dash cluster, not so easy maybe in the explorer. Not sure how hard it would be to adapt the accessories to the LS engine either yet. Of course still gonna need a custom header.

The main reason to do this swap wouldn't be to race or anything, just to have more than enough power to tow my camper comfortably through mountains and such.

If anyone has any ideas on a 5.0 based engine build that can get me at least 350 hp and 300 plus torque, I'm listening. Like I said, I've entertained installing a blower but don't know what works yet. Procharger?

I have seen a LS swap in everything from a Willys Jeep, to an old Mini Cooper, anything is possible. Personally, I will only put Ford power in my Ford truck, but I am not opposed to anything else. But the 5.0, and the LS engine have many bolt on parts, and a lot of performance parts as well, so it is really up to you. But if you want to talk about spending more money for power, talk to some Mopar guys, EVERYTHING is at least $100, My buddy bought a '72 Dart Roller for $1200, and spent $3000+ on the engine... So don't be upset on a pair of $800 Headers. I would say go with it for sure, be sure to make a thread about it, I would for sure follow that.

i know that dakota digital makes a signal converter to make the speedos work. its kinda a universal thing we have one in a ls1 rx7 we built. also for oil pressure you can just adapt the stock pressure switch from the ford to the ls1 and feed wires into the gauge. the first thing you need are detailed wiring diagrams from each vehicle also painless as well as other companies make harness that make this sort of thing easier. let us know what you decide to do.

Stock the 302 is 288 ft lbs. I would build a 347 stroker if all you want is mid 300s for torque.

A good tune and nice heads and a cam with better injectors would get you 350 hp and close to 400 fr lbs. I think it would be cheaper than the conversion IMO.

http://www.torquemonsterheaders.com/test_results.html

Torque monster have dyno results for 40 ft lb gain. That would be 328 ft lbs on a stock fresh motor with just headers. Intake, exhaust heads/head work and a tune I think you numbers are very obtainable.

Still don';t think the awd transfer case will last long pulling with 300 hp.

A good tune and nice heads and a cam with better injectors would get you 350 hp and close to 400 fr lbs. I think it would be cheaper than the conversion IMO.

http://www.torquemonsterheaders.com/test_results.html

Torque monster have dyno results for 40 ft lb gain. That would be 328 ft lbs on a stock fresh motor with just headers. Intake, exhaust heads/head work and a tune I think you numbers are very obtainable.

Still don';t think the awd transfer case will last long pulling with 300 hp.

your going to need more then that if you want it at the wheels

I assume unless someone says wheel hp, they are talking crank numbers.

I don't know why a person would want to go through the expense of an LS swap if they weren't planning a big crazy build for the motor in a vehicle that already has a 302...

Nobody's mentioned using a 351 crank and rods, is there a reason for that?

If you intend to use the LS1 I'd use the trans and transfer case as well.

As for blowers: any of them will work. The displacement type produces boost from idle but is more difficult to install.
The impeller type is easier to fit and set up but the boost comes in later.

Nobody's mentioned using a 351 crank and rods, is there a reason for that?

If you intend to use the LS1 I'd use the trans and transfer case as well.

As for blowers: any of them will work. The displacement type produces boost from idle but is more difficult to install.
The impeller type is easier to fit and set up but the boost comes in later.
I think you can use the rods and a stroker crank. I believe the crank is much larger in diameter than the 302 and would need to be turned down alot to fit. In a chevy its doable, ford I think you use a stoker custom crank and just bolt it in. Your choice are 331, 347 an 354 I think. I'm a chevy guy and not an engine builder.

What about just a 351 from a Lightning or any other model of Ford truck they put it in? Would that be a pretty easy install into the X? Obviously I would need the TMH too. Are there custom tunes available for my trucks ECU to fuel this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A tune for your truck is a easy thing to do.

Back