Hi from Alabama, and looking for a project vehicle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi from Alabama, and looking for a project vehicle.

MrTinKicker

Reaction score
City, State
Jasper, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Toyota Tacoma
Hello everyone. I've got a question, and I had no idea where to post it, so I figured this was as good a place to get direction as any. Just tell me which other area I need to be in if I've messed up.

I'm a prepper, and I'm looking to build a Bug Out Vehicle (BOV). I made a short list of potential rides based on a few criteria:
1) Big enough SUV to carry up to six people (including driver) out of a disaster area. That's me, my wife and son, my mom and dad who live next door, and my 95 year old grandmother. No one left behind lol. Comfort isn't a primary issue...survival is.
2) Small enough to be decent on fuel usage. I need good potential range (think, running from a hurricane like Katrina).
3) Small enough to be nimble in unimproved forest areas like fire lanes and overgrown roads.
4) 4WD for the above missions and for getting over obstacles on highways and back roads.
5) Automatic trans for towing. Ever pulled a trailer offroad over rutted, uneven ground? Heck on a clutch.
6) Not too difficult to eliminate the computer controls and simplify the whole thing. An EMP will fry a car's computer. Dead.

I worked it down to American vehicles only because of popularity and other technical points (like, I don't want timing belt engines). I dropped the Durango because it's on the funky end of Chrysler fubar engineering and its tranny sux. The S10 Blazer is too candy coated for me to respect it.
Long story shorter I ended up looking at the Explorer and the small Cherokee.

Of the two, I'm having a big mental debate because the Explorer is so common here where I live. That means that when the SHTF, I'll be able to scrounge parts easily. I've always been primarily a Ford guy, so I'm comfortable with it. The 4.0 OHV is a proven engine. The 8.8" is wonderful. I'm not sure about the strength of the transmissions, or the transfer cases.

The Cherokee, I've done some research on. The 4.0 inline is unbreakable and a torque monster. Actually, it's much more powerful than the Ford. The AW4 is a great transmission. The 231 transfer case is rock solid. Get it with a Chrysler 8.25" and you're good to go. Parts and accessories for the Jeep are cheap and very common. But the problem with the Jeep is that where I live there are almost none of them. Scrounging will be so tough! I checked total build numbers, and the Explorer is somewhere over 5 million total run where the Cherokee only hit just under 3 million before it was dropped. I guess that explains a lot of the availability discrepancy I'm seeing.

Other things are that the Cherokee just seems more agile than the Explorer, and it seems to be extremely easy to convert from computer control.

NOW...I didn't say all of this to start a war. I just need some clear, accurate advice. Somebody with experience in anything like what I need please give me some information that will help me make up my mind. I'd love for the Explorer to have the potential I seem to have found in the Jeep, but I just don't have any experience with them to know.

If I haven't been clear in any way, please ask me to clarify. And I'll be glad to move to another thread area, or have an admin reclassify this thread, if appropriate. I thank anyone who can help.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I seemed redundant here, yes I posted a few days ago, but the reply I got ended up in my spam so I just found it...after I just posted previously. Sorry about that.

Ford Explorer with the 4.0 and most importantly just how much you want to spend. I have a cheap 1995 Ford Explorer Expedition that I got for $650 plus tax and tags. I have since spent $200.00 on a used set of tires and will do some other maintenance but I'm happy so far.... Just how much do you have and how much you want to spend. If sunk cost's are a problem do not get a 4.0 SOHC because they require more tools to maintain...

D.R.Ball, thanks for the input!
I'm VERY familiar with the downside of the SOHC (I sell auto parts for a living). That rear timing chain setup is the craziest thing I've ever seen!
The money is important, but my biggest concern is capability and how close I can get an Explorer to my "ideal" setup compared to the Cherokee.
Basically, I'm trying to evaluate how the two different SUV's compare in all the areas I mentioned, so I've been doing a lot of research on the reliability of the different driveline components like the transmissions.
I'm really hoping someone who's done something like this already can chime in, but I appreciate anybody who offers information to help clarify things.
It sounds like you found an awesome deal! I've been scouring Craigslist...

Take a look at the modified forums in this website....Far more info than what I know...

Back