Wanted: ECM / PCM for 94 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted: ECM / PCM for 94 Explorer.

Iron Weasel

Reaction score
City, State
Belen, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Looking for a replacement Engine Control Module / Powertrain Control Module (the big computer behind the front passenger kick panel) for my 1994 Explorer, with a manual transmission and federal emissions.

I can get one out of a "U Pull It" yard here locally, but you can't really tell the condition of those, so I figured I'd check here first and see if anyone has a "known good" unit laying around that I could procure for $50 or less.

If anyone out there has one, shoot me a PM and we'll see what we can work out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have one out of a '92 4dr, 4wd, manual transmission with push button 4 wheel drive. I have to pull it out of the parts rig but it worked fine until the motor took a crap. I'll sell for $45 shipped.

I have one out of a '92 4dr, 4wd, manual transmission with push button 4 wheel drive. I have to pull it out of the parts rig but it worked fine until the motor took a crap. I'll sell for $45 shipped.

92 and 94 are different.

Yeah, unfortunately the ECM has to come out of a 94 Explorer / Navajo...don't think even a Ranger 4.0 would work (I'd have to research it more thoroughly though).

I'll be headed up to the local U-Pull-It yard on Monday anyway just to see what they have in the way of manual Explorers. I was up there last week for some other stuff and came across 2 or 3 manual trans Explorers, but I didn't take note of the exact year since I was after hard parts that were the same from 91 - 94.

any 93-94 ex will work 90-92 doesent have some sensors you have and you can use manual or auto ecm im using stock auto one with my swapped in manual tranny

any 93-94 ex will work 90-92 doesent have some sensors you have and you can use manual or auto ecm im using stock auto one with my swapped in manual tranny

The auto computer wont work exactly right. There are differences in idle speed in gear vs in neutral; different deceleration characteristics. I ran an auto computer in my 94 limited for a while with a 5spd swap. But yes, it will run and get from point a to point b.

I opted not to go to the junkyard today for several reasons.

A) The only other vehicle we can use is a 2001 F250 which eats gas like nothing...would cost at least $40 round trip from my house to the yard.
B) The yard shows six 1994 Explorers at the yard and they want $40 for one with no warranty since it's an electronic part - store credit only and no refund.
C) Chances of finding a ECM from a 94 with a manual trans is slim to none.

Basically, I didn't want to shell out $40 for gas only to get up there and not be able to find a ECM and on the off chance that I did actually find one, didn't want to be out another $40 if it didn't work. What I did instead, was to poke around on www.car-part.com and I found a ECM at a yard in Kingsville, Missouri.

The lady I talked to was nice, but I had to tell her three times that I'm in NEW Mexico, not Mexico. She finally got it when I told here "Ma'am, we're the 47th state, right between Arizona and Texas and I have a US Postal Service zip code." She said they did indeed have the ECM and it had been sitting on a shelf for about 2 years, so she'd let me have it for $25 shipped. Shipping alone was almost $14 from the UPS estimate, so I got a ECM for basically $11. Even if the unit I ordered is bad, I'm out $25 versus at least $80 if I went to the U-Pull-It yard.

Supposed to be here Thursday, so I'll find out in a few days if it works or not.

Back