T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV

Well I got tired of the 4.0 ohv not having any power on the highway climbing the hills on the 62 and having no low end in 4x4 high offroad, especially now that I have a pickup with a 5.7 v8 in it..

I've been lurking for some time since I've been kinda busy with work but, I got my hands on a Turbonetics T3 T4 hybrid so it's project time. It has the .48ar T3 turbine and a f1-57 trim T4 compressor. I expect this thing will spool FAST but I am not making any claims to being too familiar with forced induction..worst case scenario is there's a problem I can get a higher trim turbine.

I plan on having it live just behind and to the right of the alternator after doing test fitting. Its snug but should work nice to draw through my snorkel set up and for routing the exhaust.

Now, I have a concern about drawing through the stock airbox with a K&N drop in.. will this be too much suction and cause oil to get past the center housing seals?

If I hit full boost before highway cruising speed will that boost still be effective once in the higher RPM's? ie: is 7lb boost (where I plan to limit it at) at say, 1500 rpm still 7lb boost at 3k rpm?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the guru advice and input. I'll try to post through the project and get some pics up since everyone likes pics.

:usa: 'merica

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should really get the tuner, and have your base tune ready. Install maf and injectors at the same time. Then upload base tune. I'm not sure how anyone will know what to tune without the wideband o2 for logging. Maybe a Dyno for tuning? then you wouldn't have to have the wideband, as the dyno place would use theirs. Just more things to ponder.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

My plan right now is to finish buying the parts and installing them Ive only been starting the truck to charge the batteries occasionally and that will continue until I'm done and working the tuning. Not sure yet if I'm going to go to the dyno to tune yet or do it remotely. The remote option is looking cheaper right now and if I go that route I'll have to get the wide band. Definitely going to just get a lightning MAF. Its a much more reasonable option, as mentioned earlier in the thread at about 75 bucks..

Not sure yet if I'm going to go to the dyno to tune yet or do it remotely. The remote option is looking cheaper right now and if I go that route I'll have to get the wide band.

How much you looking at in your area to get it tuned by a professional?

I have to say, Henson Performance is extremely professional.

the main thing that is missing with the remote tuning is the tuners 'feel' when he's with the vehicle.

The remote tuner can not see all. He can say 'something is not right' if he's really good.

A really experienced guy seeing it in person can probably tell you what is wrong.

It's a tough call.

My vote is always for a dyno even if remote tuning has been done..some things you just cant see without being there or on a dyno..sometimes it can be faster

How much you looking at in your area to get it tuned by a professional?

It's over 300 all said and done not sure if the shop will even look at the Explorer their focus is imports. Lancers, BMW etc...

Worst case... I can trailer it up north on a holiday and drop it off with a tuner up in the PNW... There's gotta be something in the LA Riverside area I'm missing right now though.

It's over 300 all said and done not sure if the shop will even look at the Explorer their focus is imports. Lancers, BMW etc...

Worst case... I can trailer it up north on a holiday and drop it off with a tuner up in the PNW... There's gotta be something in the LA Riverside area I'm missing right now though.

$300 plus isn't bad. My area it like $500 plus.

$300 plus isn't bad. My area it like $500 plus.
Yikes. Guess I shouldn't complain that's painfully expensive for a tune. The first tunes I got after my manual swap ran me in the 350-400 range to include the hand held tuner.

Alright. I got the injectors in with no problems. Charged the fuel system with the pump to check for leaks then fired it up to get it out of the garage.

Suprisingly it idles fine I thought it'd be too rich to idle. Anything above idle under load except leaning into the pedal a little to get the air flow up it floods. Makes sense. It's enough to load on the trailer for trips to the exhaust shop and tuning so Its good for now until that happens. Still pushing to finish by October in hopes of hitting truckhaven. Its looking like a tight deadline.

Sure hope it's ready for Truck Haven, can't wait to check it out:chug:

I have to say, Henson Performance is extremely professional.

the main thing that is missing with the remote tuning is the tuners 'feel' when he's with the vehicle.

The remote tuner can not see all. He can say 'something is not right' if he's really good.

A really experienced guy seeing it in person can probably tell you what is wrong.

It's a tough call.

Is James still doing tunes? Does anyone know? I can't seem to get on his website and haven't heard back from him.

Dono, Thank you for the e-mail. I sent one in hopes I get a reply.

Rick, Hopefuly I'll make it. I've always wanted to see your rig in person. The Pumpkin has always made me a bit envious. It's an awesome build.

Dono, Thank you for the e-mail. I sent one in hopes I get a reply.

Rick, Hopefuly I'll make it. I've always wanted to see your rig in person. The Pumpkin has always made me a bit envious. It's an awesome build.

Hes not gonna do a thing for you without a wideband tho..hes definitely not one to tune a vehicle without everything he needs..probably will want you to have the maf also.

Hes not gonna do a thing for you without a wideband tho..hes definitely not one to tune a vehicle without everything he needs..probably will want you to have the maf also.

Trackin on that, can't get a proper remote tune without my own a/f readings.. I'd like to know if he is even still doing it though. Those 2 things I will have very soon...sooner if I can lock down a remote tuner.

Great news everybody! Got a response from James this morning he's still doing remote tunes. I'm guessing he's a pretty busy guy so I hope I get another reply at the beginning for the work week. I guess this is going to be the push I needed to get the wideband. I'm ordering the MAF this weekend.

James prices are extremely competitive on parts also.

Great to hear your moving forward on the tuning. I was as bit concerned your motor wasn't going to survive till you got to this point.

Probably right Dono. I do like to drive it. Now that its not drivable with the injectors its kind of forcing the rest to get done. MAF is on order and come the 1st ill order the wideband. Fingers crossed I'll make it to truck haven with the Explorer at the end of next month but I realize it may not be possible depending on a few things to include James' work load right now.

MAF, adapter, and silicon fittings getting delivered and installed tomorrow. Going to have to extend some wires but it should be no problem. Still moving forward.

Well application changed drastically from the planning for the MAF...

I guess I really didnt realize how large 90mm is.:eek: Turns out it wont fit as blow through like I was thinking...with my current set up that thing is just way too big to squeese into the drivers side engine bay.
It all may be for the best since James is recommending against a lightning MAF in a blow through application.

So, back to the drawing board since I already own the thing...as I took apart the airbox to get to the sensor wiring harness.. I though wow, there is a load of room around the stock MAF inside of the airbox.

Re-worked the mounting holes in the lightning MAF and trimmed some extra plastic on the plate and inside the airbox:sawzall: and the sensor fit right into the airbox. Granted this means I will have to recirculate a blowoff/bypass if/when I put one in but that shouldn't be a problem...just more work. Now I just need to buy a wideband and finish working out the details with James. :cool:

Back