Votes: 54 14.4%
  • 5.0L V8

Votes: 187 50.0%
  • Diesel (Dreaming)

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 46 12.3%

• Total voters
429 or 428? or 427? WTF is the difference anyway?

Am I correct that the Aviator gets a DOHC 4.6L and new Mounties and Exs get the SOHC 4.6L? My brother and I have been arguing over it.

I have yet to see an Aviator owner on this board. Is it too far out for you guys to consider an Explorer? :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0L SOHC all the way!

The SOHC V6 engine is almost as powerful as the V8 engine, but in a smaller size like the previous OHC V6 engine. 200+ hp in a V6 engine? Not much more could you want for an Explorer

Diesel baby! ;) :thumbsup:

Diesels rock, great power & mileage, and now cleaner withthe new global fuel standards in place here in the U.S.

The Cammer!!!

Ford made the 427 SOHC in 1966 to whip the 426 Hemis. It did, with 600HP stock, and was outlawed before it could get into NASCAR. They were sold as crate engines for $5000. They had hemisherical chambers, two four barrels, center located spark plugs, and were under rated at 600HP.

The Cammer has the most beautiful valve covers ever made. I've got a shop manual for them somewhere. Ten foot long timing chain.
DonW

that sounds like a cool engine. was it ever put into a prduction car?

I want the 5.0. About the same mpg and more power. :thumbsup:

Poll closed. You can still post in the thread.

Would love to stick a LB7 & Allison in to it if there was room.

Would love to stick a LB7 & Allison in to it if there was room.

Nahh, duramax ain't all that great. Besides, if you were gonna go with a Duramax that is gonna have all the fancy electronics anyways, what you really want is an LBZ or LMM, more power and efficiency... Or you could wait for the LMK, which is smaller.... even if you need to worry about urea injection as well.

Nahh, duramax ain't all that great. Besides, if you were gonna go with a Duramax that is gonna have all the fancy electronics anyways, what you really want is an LBZ or LMM, more power and efficiency... Or you could wait for the LMK, which is smaller.... even if you need to worry about urea injection as well.

I would love to get my hands on the 4.5L LMK except for it has been put on an indefinite hold. I had an '02 Duramax before I sold it to my brother and had no problems with it. Yes the LB7 was known for injector issues and the LLY was known for overheating issues, but the newer ones seem to be quite good. The guy who had it before me had it running low 12's in the quarter mile and pushing over 550 RWHP plus no emissions junk on the LB7. An LBZ would be my other choice for the Duramax.

I would rather own a Duramax over a Power Stroke or Cummins any day of the week! But it would have to be in the classic or older body style as I hate the design of all the new trucks.

I would love to get my hands on the 4.5L LMK except for it has been put on an indefinite hold. I had an '02 Duramax before I sold it to my brother and had no problems with it. Yes the LB7 was known for injector issues and the LLY was known for overheating issues, but the newer ones seem to be quite good. The guy who had it before me had it running low 12's in the quarter mile and pushing over 550 RWHP plus no emissions junk on the LB7. An LBZ would be my other choice for the Duramax.

I would rather own a Duramax over a Power Stroke or Cummins any day of the week! But it would have to be in the classic or older body style as I hate the design of all the new trucks.

IMO, Cummins are just darn good engines..... One of the few things I feel Chrysler has done right over the years was partnering with Cummins for their diesel engines. Powerstrokes are good engines too..... I wouldn't say they are any worse than the Duramax.... I mean, some older powerstrokes had some quirks..... but yeah, they all do. B series Cummins are probably some of the best diesel engines out there for their size and output..... And trust me, I am usually the first person with something bad to say about a Dodge. If I were ever looking for a ~6 liter diesel engine to put in a truck though, it would be a 6bt Cummins. Good fuel economy, power, reliability, and the killer dowel pin:D

As for newer trucks..... I'm with you there. I keep thinking of picking up a mid-70s F-250 crewcab for a project vehicle. They are just so purdy.

Wish I had a 5.0. The potential timing chain rattle scares me half to death. :(

I want the Mustang 5.0 because of the available mods and power.

THIS ONE:
boss500.jpg

If I could find a donor vehicle cheap & could sort out the electrical crap- I'd love to put one of the 2.3L EcoBoost Engines in front of my 5 speed :) Ford Screwed up making all of the new X's w/ Autos! We need a 6 speed manual offered so that I can afford a cool SUV in about 10 years! Still entertaining a 2.3 Turbo from a Thunderbird (Merkur) or a 3.8 SC from a newer Bird, but it sounds like the 4 cylinder will fit my tranny and the 6 will require a bunch more modification :(

5.0 coyote or an LS1, both backed by a TR6060 and an NP-231 transfer case, and a solid rear axle, and keep the stock independent front suspension and axle up front.

Since someone bumped this, I'll change my wish.

I'd like a 347 with Cleveland heads on it, the CH 3V 185cc versions, with SEFI. It should make about 550hp below 6500rpm, more if you wanted to race it and build it for 7500+ rpm's.

I'll build that for my old Ranchero, a fun toy DD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back