Keep radio on after key off until doors open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keep radio on after key off until doors open

93 x_SPORT

Reaction score
City, State
GARRETT, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
I talked about this a little in another thread. I want my radio to stay on after I turn the key off until the doors are opened.

It seemed like this was going to be a huge pain, involving about 3-4 relays (from everything I have researched). However, yesterday I noticed that the windows still work after the key is turned off (until you open a door). It seems, to me, that one could borrow some of the power that the windows have to power a relay for the radio.

With that in mind, I downloaded the wire diagram for the power windows. If I understand it correctly (I'm not too confident), the light blue/black wire from the Accessory Delay Relay is the one I want to use for my signal wire to my relay. Or I could use the Light blue/red wire from the GEM.

Can anyone confirm both of those wires are power wires and if either would work for what I'm trying to do? Also, does anyone know where this Accessory Delay Relay is located (I already know where the GEM is)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Slightly off your idea.. but I know that GM vehicles have this. I'm not sure how they accomplish it, but it may be a separate module or a relay. Ever consider looking into how their system works and just adding it your your truck?

I did some (not much though) searching trying to find some sort of OEM or even aftermarket unit, but without much luck.

Only thing is, you still have to get a signal from the doors and all that jazz. If I'm looking at the diagram correctly, I think I just need to use the Lt BLU/RED wire. Might be able to look into it tonight. Will get the tester out and try not to fry anything. :D

Signal for doors can be the dome light, otherwise you'd have to wire to all doors, or just drivers door I guess.
The dome light doesn't go on until a door is opened.

Something I've thought about for a while. Seems to me that the same relays that protect the window circuit would cover the radio, so running a "hot wire" or dual wires, from the window circuit (window switch feed) directly to the radio would do the trick. Now the possible problem. The feed would get the radio power but what about the factory amps? Or are they powered thru the radio. Or is this just a waste of time? May try, this weekend and let you know.

BTW Did a search and found this old thread. The last post (#8) is the interesting one.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219347&highlight=Radio+delay

Slightly off your idea.. but I know that GM vehicles have this. I'm not sure how they accomplish it, but it may be a separate module or a relay. Ever consider looking into how their system works and just adding it your your truck?

My 2006 Mariner and 2012 Escape also do this- for about 15 minutes anyway. It's actually a nice feature and every time I shut my Explorer off, I wish it would do it as well.

To be honest, I just flick my key to the back position if I'm sitting in the truck and listening to the radio.

Im not sure if you have solved your issue yet or not but thought I would share this.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#drto

This has been my go to site for anything electronic for a while. Hope this helps you!

I've seen this too. Was just trying to think of a simpler way, three relays is a bit much.

The GEM module is alrealy doing all the work for you (power windows already do what I want the radio to do). If I knew which wire was sending power to the windows, I would grab some power from there and use it to control a relay for the radio. So much easier (once you know which wire to use).

To be honest, I just flick my key to the back position if I'm sitting in the truck and listening to the radio.

That's not the problem though, I can and do do that (he said doodoo). The problem is this radio takes FOREVER to turn back on. If I can get it to work, I will be a happy camper. :thumbsup: Not that it's a HUGE deal, just really annoying.

Something I've thought about for a while. Seems to me that the same relays that protect the window circuit would cover the radio, so running a "hot wire" or dual wires, from the window circuit (window switch feed) directly to the radio would do the trick. Now the possible problem. The feed would get the radio power but what about the factory amps? Or are they powered thru the radio. Or is this just a waste of time? May try, this weekend and let you know.

BTW Did a search and found this old thread. The last post (#8) is the interesting one.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219347&highlight=Radio+delay

this was an easy one - i have a '95 xlt

while installing my autolamp/autodim mirror, i discovered my explorer had the accessory delay - it allows you to operate your power windows and moonroof for about 10 minutes after turning off the engine - if you open a door, the accessory delay is cancelled - (gm cars have this, but their radios continue to operate also)

i wanted to add my stock radio to the accessory delay - i referred to the 1995 ford cd and found the wire color codes

for the standard and premium radios, the power is supplied on these wires

lg/p - hot at all times
y/bk - hot in accessory or run

i cut the y/bk wire behind the radio and attached a wire to feed to the alternate power source - i did not touch the lg/p wire

since the power windows operate with the accessory delay, i found that the power supply that fed into the accessory delay relay is the lb/bk wire - i tapped into the master window/door lock control switch behind the driver's side cowl (behind the emergency brake)

i don't think i have the premium sound radio, but it looks as if it would work for it as well (the amp has its own 'hot at all times' power supply) - (i do have the rear radio controls so maybe it is the premium radio) - i am not sure this would work for the 'lux' or 'lux/jbl' radio because those have a third power supply to the radio (r/w - which is hot in start or run)

Interesting. I wonder if by cowl, he means kick panel?

Back