Explorer manual transmission swap questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer manual transmission swap questions

00REDEXPXLT

Reaction score
City, State
the "SKILL", NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EXP XLT
Ok, Ive done alot of searching on the subject with mixed results. I have a 2000 explorer with a 5R55E auto with control trac. Its a 4L sohc. I have a 93 explorer sport with a good M5OD-R1 and 4.0L OHV with everything intact. It has been totalled from rearend damage. I was wondering if i could swap this transmission into my 2000 OHC. I already have a New BW1354 to swap in. It seems the blocks are very similar from the ohc and the ohv motor. So shouldnt the bellhousing bolt pattern be the same or very similar? I heard about them having one bolt missing or extra? Ive taken a look and they look the same. Also on some parts websites they list different part #'s for flywheels but i cant tell the difference. Also the part # for the 93 clutch disc indicates a 4mm smaller size differencefrom the 2000 part # it doesnt seem like this would matter much when 4mm is divided between the both sides. Also the slave cylinder has a different part #. Is the input shaft larger or smaller on the newer trans behind the ohc motor. Lots of questions i know but i keep getting different stories i dont want to start this project and halfway through discover that its impossible. Also i think the brake/clutch pedal setup out of the 93 will bolt right into my 2000. Thanx for all the help in advance.
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should be a direct swap I believe. You're going to have to have your PCM re-flashed to manual trans. settings instead of automatic so it's not looking for an automatic and throwing all kinds of codes. Search around some, there should be a lot of threads on the subject.

I too thought that the bellhousing was the same.

Yeah i figured as much with the reflash to a manual trans ecm program. I use Sniper tuning software and have the ability to reflash my own ECM. All i need to do is find somebody with a stock SOHC 5 speed ranger or explorer to read their stock file and flash it to my computer. Love the sniper software.

Make any progress yet? I'm really interested in doing this swap, and am looking for information about it!

na i'm waiting for warmer weather. Its not fun getting a wet ass laying in the snow lol

yeah, I might be looking into doing this too..any links anyone can point to that are on this thread that anyone knows about that we can all use to see how to do this(nice sentence, eh?)?

How "good" is the M50D-R1 transmission? Could it be turned into a performance manual transmission?

Edit: Found out myself!

Any progress?

Na still trying to find a donor truck for the right price and mileage.

Hey, small world. Yeah im in NG. Didnt even notice that one. Perfect candidate. wish i had the 750 cash right now. def worth that in parts. maybe they will consider parting it.

Hey, small world. Yeah im in NG. Didnt even notice that one. Perfect candidate. wish i had the 750 cash right now. def worth that in parts. maybe they will consider parting it.

Also, you can put your auto in that one, fix up the little crap, and probably sell the sport for 2500. But you still need the cash :(

Yeah, im tryin to work somethin out and thas a good idea on the auto swap and sellin.
Where ya at in albany? U ever go 4wheeling around here. I know lots of spots. My paint is still too nice to go wheelin with. No redneck(tree branch) car washes for mine yet lol

Yeah, im tryin to work somethin out and thas a good idea on the auto swap and sellin.
Where ya at in albany? U ever go 4wheeling around here. I know lots of spots. My paint is still too nice to go wheelin with. No redneck(tree branch) car washes for mine yet lol

I'm in delmar. Where are some good places to 4wheel?

On this side of the river there is trails off of route 2 in troy, Grafton state park there is state trails, In Berlin there is state trails, Stephentown there is powerline trails that go for miles. Up by lake george there is miles and miles of trails for wheelin. My brother in law is in a jeep club and they go on trips all the time.

On this side of the river there is trails off of route 2 in troy, Grafton state park there is state trails, In Berlin there is state trails, Stephentown there is powerline trails that go for miles. Up by lake george there is miles and miles of trails for wheelin. My brother in law is in a jeep club and they go on trips all the time.

Wow. thanks for the info....I gotta get up into that country sometime! Where are the ones in troy on RT 2?

so whats goin on? can this be done or what?

oh it can definately be done but you need alot of parts or a donor truck, alot of time, another vehicle to drive while doing it, and some patience. I'm still looking for a cheap donor truck and extra cash lol. I have a feeling my 5R55E is on its way out.... it has been doing alot of wierd stuff lately.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i have a donor 91 explorer and im about to to it...i just need to know which are the differences in the flywheel and the clutch etc...i have a 2000 XLs

Back