4x4 dash light fix after 1354E to 1354M swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 dash light fix after 1354E to 1354M swap

mr cribb

US Army Retired
Reaction score
City, State
Naylor, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Z71, 89 stepside
I spent a good 2 hours searching this issue, and no luck.

I recently swapped out my Electric 1354 for a Manual 1354.

What I am looking for is the wire colors to tap into to make the 4x4 and low range lights work on the dash.

I still need to get the plug from the junkyard, because I forgot that.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you want the lights to work?

I bought the harness today from the junkyard.

My OCD is now solved.

20150209_1508301_zpsshphpunj.jpg

Was wondering if you had a write up of the swap. I am also wanting to swap to the manual Transfer.

Thank you sir

Was wondering if you had a write up of the swap. I am also wanting to swap to the manual Transfer.

Thank you sir

There's nothing really noteworthy with the swap. Finding all the parts was the hard part. I got the case from one yard, the shifter and harness from another. It will run easily $300 if you get it all from one yard. Some salvages think the case is a magical part and charging $250 just for the case.

The hardest part I had, was making the shifter bezels match. Then again I was a 5 speed so I had two bezels to piece together. They did make a one piece bezel for the double stick people, but I think that's more rare than the manual case itself.

It was a simple swap. The top bolt on the transmission/ transfer case is entertaining to get to unless you have small hands. The only thing I suggest is make sure the speedometer gears match, because I had to swap mine. It's an easy one bolt item.

There's nothing really noteworthy with the swap. Finding all the parts was the hard part. I got the case from one yard, the shifter and harness from another. It will run easily $300 if you get it all from one yard. Some salvages think the case is a magical part and charging $250 just for the case.

The hardest part I had, was making the shifter bezels match. Then again I was a 5 speed so I had two bezels to piece together. They did make a one piece bezel for the double stick people, but I think that's more rare than the manual case itself.

It was a simple swap. The top bolt on the transmission/ transfer case is entertaining to get to unless you have small hands. The only thing I suggest is make sure the speedometer gears match, because I had to swap mine. It's an easy one bolt item.
Thank you sir. Now time for a hunt. :)

Back