What is the little black box under the rear view mirror?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the little black box under the rear view mirror??

mike1970

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer XLT
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer and the Rear View Mirror has a little black box under it and it has a button on it, can anyone please e-mail me to tell me what it is Please?
Mike
Mwc70@yahoo.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The little black box under the mirror is the auto dimming feature on the rear view mirror. I have one in my 02 and it is in place of the little tab that would be on the bottom of the mirror. If light shines on the mirror, it will adjust so there is no glare.

Huh.. I always thought it was something to do with the compass..

Has nothing to do with the dimmer - that's the little sensor on the side of the mirror you look at right next to the green light. The box by the windshield is the compass.

The button on the box by the windshield initiates the calibration sequence for the compass. Read your owners manual for the exact procedure.

anyone have a part number for this, as mine broke

i have that little box on my '02 also but I don't have a compass? or do I?

i have that little box on my '02 also but I don't have a compass? or do I?

If its a 3rd gen I think they all had it? It should be in the screen where your mileage is displayed.

its definitely for the dimmer because all 3rd gens dont have the box, but they all have compasses...

its definitely for the dimmer because all 3rd gens dont have the box, but they all have compasses...

Its not for the dimmer, its for the compass

RearViewMirrorCompass.jpg

all three of the search results have the word "windshield" in them when I search for compass on tasca ford parts website.

I have the exact same thing as the picture shows in the post by Curtis. On my '02 XLT the box IS the compass. The OP said he has a button on his. I don't have the button. I have a pinhole used to reset the compass. Maybe the OP has something different. We won't know that unless he chimes in again as he has been silent since his thread starter.:salute:

Oh, ok. Thanks Curtis, so how does the dimmer work then?

Oh, ok. Thanks Curtis, so how does the dimmer work then?

There is a sensor on the front and back of the mirror.
The one facing forward is the main sensor.
When it senses daylight conditions, the sensor in the mirror glass facing rearward is disabled.

When the one facing forward senses dark conditions, the one in the glass facing rear is enabled. It will reduce the reflectiveness of the mirror.

If the vehicle is put in reverse, both sensors are disabled and the mirror should brighten.

oh ok. whoever came up with that is a genius, at least smarter than me

Damn you guys! Now I'm going to have to look around for the other sensor. The only sensor on the mirror I know about is the one that faces into the vehicle. It senses bright headlights from the rear of the vehicle and dims the mirror.

Damn you guys! Now I'm going to have to look around for the other sensor. The only sensor on the mirror I know about is the one that faces into the vehicle. It senses bright headlights from the rear of the vehicle and dims the mirror.

I think you're right. no sensor on the back of the mirror, I think its on the dash... I'll check the service manual if I think of it tomorrow and report back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of those sensors is used to activate the auto headlights if you have them.

Back