Next project vehicle? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next project vehicle?

I want a mid-size 4 door SUV to drive when my 2000 Sport is being modified. I was planning to purchase a 2000 4 door Explorer with the SOHC V6 to take advantage of what I've learned, spare parts and my SCT PCM programming software package. However, I realized that at my age my next project vehicle will probably be my last. I've always been partial to DOHC engines since I purchased a 1958 Jaguar XK-150 in 1965. A recent thread: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap has captured my interest. I didn't know that the Aviator came with a DOHC V8 engine and was based on the 3rd generation Explorer. Since I don't like the looks of the Aviator front or the 500 lb weight disadvantage I've become very interested in swapping an Aviator engine into an Explorer. My long term objective would be a fairly quiet rear wheel drive 3rd Gen with a DOHC 4.6L V8 stroked to 5.0/5.1L and possibly forced induction.

I'm aware that the 2002 Explorer is probably the most complained about Explorer ever. Most of the complaints are associated with transmission failures. I could use some help researching which 3rd generation Explorer would be the best project vehicle.

I think the 5R55W and the 5R55S were possible transmissions. Were both used with the 4.6L? If so, is one more robust than the other?

Which transmission was installed in the Aviator with the DOHC 4.6L?

I've started another thread about the planned engine: DOHC 4.6L V8 build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NOS front cover

Yes, it's a 2003 with a -BB block, -AG passenger side head and a -DA driver side head. Thanks for the link about the engines. If I was really lucky it would have been a 2005.
Just purchased this on eBay for $139 with free shipping.
AviatorTimingCover.jpg

New old stock (NOS) OEM 2003-2005 Aviator front cover plus pulley, part number 2C5Z-6019-AA, casting 2C5E-6D080-DA. The part number I found online for the 2003 Mach 1 (2R3Z-6019-BF) and the 2003 Marauder (3R3Z-6019-AA) have been discontinued.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Long block story

About six months ago a Lincoln SUV owner drove into a local national tune up shop complaining about a noisy engine. The mechanic determined a replacement long block was required and one was ordered and installed with some parts transferred from the original block to the replacement block. Within a few months the mechanic left the shop and eventually his replacement got tired of the engine being in the way and posted it on Craig's list. The current mechanic didn't know if the SUV was an Aviator or a Navigator nor how to tell the difference in the blocks. Armed with notes from the website that boominXplorer posted a link to I was able to determine the engine was from an Aviator by measuring the tumble intake ports. I noticed a 03 year stamp on the block and a -AG suffix casting number on the heads. For $300 I got the block, heads and any parts not transferred to the replacement engine. Those include the intake manifold, throttle body, a broken EGR tube, some heat shields and some brackets. The mechanic used a shop crane to load the block on my little utility trailer that I haul mulch in.

I had recently seen a new old stock (NOS) timing cover listed on eBay so I purchased it. I'll need to purchase valve covers. I may not purchase the COP covers since some Aviator owners have experienced COP high failures rates probably due to the heat being trapped by the covers. Since the stock (poor performance) exhaust manifolds are fairly cheap I may purchase them to reduce the cost of the initial engine installation and to be able to establish a "stock" DOHC performance baseline for the Explorer. I should be able to transfer the oil pan from the SOHC 4.6L if I don't purchase another one. I'd like to install an external electric oil pump for the DOHC which requires adding a pickup port to the pan.

I wish the engine could have been a 2005 with the improved heads but I'll install a cooling mod to compensate for the design deficiency. It would be nice to have a Teksid block or even a Nemark but the cost would be significantly more. The Nemark "Aluminator" bare block (PN 8R3Z-6010-A) is still available from Tasca for $1819. I think the stock (assume WAP) block will be adequate for my street performance goal.

Tomorrow I'll use my crane to lift the block off the trailer and transfer it to my engine stand. Then it will just sit until I get rid of my Volvo 850 turbo wagon to make room for the to be purchased 3rd generation Explorer. Seeing the block should provide motivation to fix the remaining problems with the Volvo.

OEM oil pan part number

According to Tasca parts the part number for the 2003 thru 2005 Aviator, the 2002 thru 2005 Explorer and Mountaineer is 1L2Z-6675-BA and is shown below.
AviatorOilPan.jpg

I need to find out if the pan needs to be modified for a stroked crankshaft.

I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled the bottom end apart and found nothing wrong. The issue could just be in the valve guides in the drivers head that commonly go bad. A lot of mechanics out there don't want to "fix" engines, just swap them out if they make noise. I have always been a fan of fixing what is broken and upgrading to solve future issues.

I know I have read about the bronze valve guides being a popular used upgrade. I also know with a mild port and polish on the stock heads another 20-40 ponies could be had by just smoothing them out in some areas. I think if you go though with a stroker kit, cams with light head work and with the right tuning you will blow past 400 rwhp.

repair economics

Repairing an engine requires parts, time, knowledge and tools. Shops that service numerous makes and models may not have the knowledge and special tools. Replacing the long block avoids complex, time consuming diagnostics, requires less knowledge and special tools, and returns a functional vehicle to the customer quicker. People like me can take years repairing or modifying a vehicle to save a little money.

Maybe I should change my performance goal from 400 rwhp to 325 rwtq @ 2500 rpm since I'm more interested in low and mid engine speed torque for driving pleasure than max power at max rpm. That's the main reason for the stroke increase and the blower.

DOHC valve covers?

According to Tasca the OEM part number for the 2003-2005 Aviator right valve cover (2C5Z-6582-AA) is still available but the left cover (3W3Z-6582-AC) has been discontinued. Used covers are not readily available on eBay. I've read that the 5.4L DOHC heads are nearly identical to the 4.6L heads except for intake port size. The 2003 Navigator valve cover part numbers are different (right:2L7Z-6582-AA,left:F7LZ-6584-BA) but may fit. I haven't found any photos to compare. The Aviator is supposed to have the same heads as the Mach 1. The 2003-2004 Mach 1 valve covers (right:2R3Z-6582-AAA, left:2R3Z-6582-AA) are still available from Ford. Used covers on eBay aren't cheap ($350 for the pair).
CobraValveCover1.jpg

CobraValveCover2.jpg

Yes the mach one valve covers should fit no problem, I don't know about the Navi's. The PVC tubes might be in different locations which shouldn't be a big deal.

If I can help you with anything on this let me know! Between referencing the 05 we have or getting data from service information at work.

Benjam :D

engine assembly instructions

Thanks for the offer to help. Eventually I'll need the Aviator engine assembly instructions. I haven't been able to find an electronic copy and I hate to pay $75 or more for the two volume workshop manual when I only have the engine.

camshaft drive kit installation instructions

I found an online copy of how to install Ford Racing's M-6004-A464, camshaft drive kit.
CamDriveKit.jpg

It includes timing instructions and torque specifications. Everything else regarding the engine should be the same as the aluminum 3 valve 4.6L. Those engine assembly instructions may be more readily available.

valve covers & exhaust manifolds & blowers

I finally found a pretty good photo online of a 2003 Mach 1 engine.
03Mach1.jpg

It's timing cover appears to be identical to the Aviator timing cover I ordered via eBay. After seeing the Mach 1 exhaust manifolds I decided the stock Aviator manifolds aren't that much worse. I called a local truck salvage yard today that has a pair of Aviator valve covers and stock exhaust manifolds at reasonable prices so I'll pick them up in the morning.

Below are the parts needed to install an Eaton intercooled supercharger on a Mach 1.
EatonMach1a.jpg

I can purchase the complete (used) kit for $3,200 plus shipping. However, after my experience with the M90 on my Sport I've decided I want to try a different blower design. Even at my Sport's conservative max boost (6 psi) the M90 (with a low tech intercooler) raises the intake air temperature (IAT) too high to achieve optimum power with normal premium gas. As the IAT increases the PCM reduces the spark advance to prevent detonation. If I install a supercharger it will probably be a Kenne Bell although I've been watching the advancement progress of the Thomas Knight electric superchargers. As battery technology increases the viability of electric superchargers also increases. 36 volt alternators are currently available. If there is serpentine belt pulley space available for a pulley driven blower there may be room for a 36 volt high current alternator instead. My locally custom built 12 volt alternator outputs more than the tester measuring capacity (200 amps). Based on design and the output curve its estimated capacity is 240 amps.

roots blower

I wasn't considering an M90. I was trying to point out that the Eaton type of blower generates too much heat. I think the centrifugal blower as used in the Vortech and turbochargers generates less heat. The heat generated by a twin screw blower is probably less than an Eaton but more than a Vortech or turbocharger. Whipple also makes twin screw blowers but I doubt they have anything for a 4 valve 4.6L.

I knew we were all on the same page on the M90.
Have you thought about fabricating your own mount for the blower you want?
[MENTION=61294]vroomzoomboom[/MENTION] could definitely help with how he pulled it off.

I was looking for turbo exhaust manifolds, but they would have to be made. That, and I have no idea on space constraints.

Kenne Bell 2.1L

The Kenne Bell 2.1L kit installs on a 1999-2001 SVT Cobra (2nd photo in post 16) that has a passenger air intake. That Cobra block and heads are identical to my Aviator's so the intake manifold should fit. Kenne Bell offers a non-intercooled kit.
CobraSVTKBnocooler.jpg

There's also an intercooled kit.
CobraSVTKBIntercooled.jpg

However, since the SVT Cobra was originally supercharged it may have a different front timing cover that's no longer available from Ford.

Edit: According to Ford's database the SVT Cobra timing cover part number is F8ZZ-6019-AA which has been discontinued. The part number for mine is 2C5Z-6019-AA. I haven't been able to find a Cobra timing cover for sale yet. I need to determine the differences.

Valve covers & exhaust manifolds

I went to a local salvage yard this morning. Their Aviator valve covers were in good shape and at a reasonable price so I purchased them.
ValveCoversTop.jpg

ValveCoversBottom.jpg

I also picked up a pair of exhaust manifolds that had the heat shields.
ExhaustManifoldsa.jpg

ExhaustManifoldsb.jpg

As I mentioned the manifolds are a marginal performance design but a set of Mach 1 shorty headers are expensive and will require custom down pipes. I'll defer an exhaust upgrade until I actually get something running and drivable.
There are only a total of three exhaust manifold studs in my heads so I ordered a complete set for both heads - not the stainless steel ones though.

Not sure if you bought one yet, but I have an extra 4.6 oil pan off of my spare engine. If you are interested in it, just pay for shipping and its yours.

EGR system design

With Aviator heads, block, intake and exhaust manifolds all I need are exhaust manifold studs to start designing an EGR system. The outlet port is in the passenger side exhaust manifold near the firewall.
2002Aviator.jpg

An EGR system module is mounted to the rear of the intake manifold.
EGRValveAviatorSm.jpg

The EGR tube connects to the EGR system module.
According to my interpretation of the wiring diagrams the EGR system module contains an integrated EGR valve, EGR vacuum regulator (EVR) and an EGR valve position sensor. The EGR valve position sensor outputs a voltage to the PCM allowing the PCM to determine if the EGR valve is functional.

The 2002 and 2003 EGR system consists of individual components: EGR valve connected to the intake manifold and the EGR tube, EVR, dual orifices in the EGR tube, and a DPFE sensor to measure the differential pressure between the two orifices. The DPFE sensor outputs a voltage to the PCM that is proportional to the differential pressure. The PCM uses the DPFE output to determine if the EGR valve is functional.

One advantage of the Aviator configuration is the elimination of the orifices which reduces the length and simplifies the routing of the EGR tube. Also, since there are no flexible hoses from orifices to a DPFE sensor they won't fail when exhaust back pressure is too high.

Since I am going to use the 2002 or 2003 PCM the EGR system must be compatible with the implemented PCM interface. Therefore, in order to use the Aviator EGR system module the valve position output must simulate the Explorer DPFE sensor output. If they are that would be an extremely fortunate (but unlikely in my opinion) occurrence.

If anyone has access to test procedures for the DPFE sensor or the EGR system module I would greatly appreciate receiving them.

If anyone has access to test procedures for the DPFE sensor or the EGR system module I would greatly appreciate receiving them.

If you can wait until I get back to work on Monday, I can get you the testing info you need. I am a technician at a ford dealership.

Back