• Register Today It's free!

Misfire with no codes

Partschanger

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Eddie Bauer V8
Hello. This is my first post after many searches. I have an 06 Eddie with a 4.6 V8. The check engine light flashed a few days ago. I don't have a code reader and I thought the miss was too bad to just be plugs. I also was a little gunshy after reading about some of the problems people have had changing plugs. I pulled all 8 of the coils hoping to have them checked. Autozone can't check them - no baseline ohms. So I put the old coils back on the engine and pulled each one with the engine running. There was a change in engine performance with each one. So I took it to Autozone to have the codes read - no codes showed up. The engine misfires intermittently at idle, but badly under a load.

I did NOT change the plugs. Could the problem be as simple as changing the plugs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello. This is my first post after many searches. I have an 06 Eddie with a 4.6 V8. The check engine light flashed a few days ago. I don't have a code reader and I thought the miss was too bad to just be plugs. I also was a little gunshy after reading about some of the problems people have had changing plugs. I pulled all 8 of the coils hoping to have them checked. Autozone can't check them - no baseline ohms. So I put the old coils back on the engine and pulled each one with the engine running. There was a change in engine performance with each one. So I took it to Autozone to have the codes read - no codes showed up. The engine misfires intermittently at idle, but badly under a load.

I did NOT change the plugs. Could the problem be as simple as changing the plugs?

It could very well be. How many miles do you have on the truck ?

132000 hard miles. I bought it used about a year ago and use it for work as a courier. I put about 75 - 80,000 on it myself. To my knowledge the plugs have never been changed.

Also, the coils seem a little loose to me after I put them back on. Is there a trick to it or are they just gonna be loose?

Hi I have 06 EB with V8 - same as yours (it does not really matter). Look for my post when I had to change my plugs. I developed a miss at 99K miles, especialy under the load, no check light. I replaced the plugs, one was realy bad and no more miss, all the coils are still OK at 116K.

132000 hard miles. I bought it used about a year ago and use it for work as a courier. I put about 75 - 80,000 on it myself. To my knowledge the plugs have never been changed.

Also, the coils seem a little loose to me after I put them back on. Is there a trick to it or are they just gonna be loose?

I would definitely change the plugs - They were "designed" to be changed at 100k although I don't think I would ever wait that long. The coils do seem a little loose after attachment but remember the high voltage side is actually spring loaded so as long as it can't rotate (that's what the bolt is for) it's fine.

Hi I have 06 EB with V8 - same as yours (it does not really matter). Look for my post when I had to change my plugs. I developed a miss at 99K miles, especialy under the load, no check light. I replaced the plugs, one was realy bad and no more miss, all the coils are still OK at 116K.

Yeah, I read your post. That's the kind of thing I'm hoping to avoid. I don't have the extractor tool and I'm not even sure I have the right size plug socket. All of my friends who have the same engine told me they would be headaches.

I would definitely change the plugs - They were "designed" to be changed at 100k although I don't think I would ever wait that long. The coils do seem a little loose after attachment but remember the high voltage side is actually spring loaded so as long as it can't rotate (that's what the bolt is for) it's fine.

Thanks for the help. I'm a good parts-changer (hence the name) but when it comes to troubleshooting I'm a little gun-shy. Thrown away a lot of $$ on unnecessary parts. $100 + for plugs and $?? for the extractor tool... I want to be sure.

FYI, you should be able to borrow a spark plug tool from autozone or any other parts store that has a loan a tool service.

Thanks for the help. I'm a good parts-changer (hence the name) but when it comes to troubleshooting I'm a little gun-shy. Thrown away a lot of $$ on unnecessary parts. $100 + for plugs and $?? for the extractor tool... I want to be sure.

All I can say is that they should have actually been changed at 100k so they're definitely due regardless. FWIW I ordered the plugs from rockauto online for $71.68 shipped for all 8 plugs. The extractor was somewhere around $60.

I took Eddie to the brother of a friend (yeah, I know) who is the head mechanic at a local Nissan dealership. He said he thought it was the fuel pump. One of his co-workers said it was the catalytic converter. Neither one of them did any kind of diagnostic check with instruments or anything. These were just "educated" guesses. And both cost a little bit.

I took the truck to Ford for a diagnostic check. By this time it was throwing codes - bad coils on #3 and #4. I checked them today - water in the wells. Changed the coils - still misses.

Should have changed the plugs. I guess.

I had water in the well where the sparkplug siezed and broke, no idea where it comes from. It was not antifreeze, just plain water. It stoped after few days after I changed the plug ??????

Back