Low Idle, Sputters when in reverse and in#drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low Idle, Sputters when in reverse and in#drive

DangerRanger2445

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Ranger
Just bought the truck a few weeks ago, its a 1994 2.3 regularcab#2#wheel#drive#ranger, when its idling she sputters a bit, as soon as I put in in reverse she sputters likes its gonna cut off, it also does the same thing in drive, but as soon as I give it some gas it all clears up, the guy I got it from said the engine light had been on for 10 years, so I checked it and it threw a 293 code (coil#pack) I changed both and also a 90 code ( no such thing) anyone got any ideas? I checked the MAF its#clean#and it doesnt run any different when its unplugged! Help!

..I would think vacuum leak or low idle due to the issue throwing the codes..:scratch:

..you could youtube your code flash test and ee can try to help. If you are using a scan tool may be why you have wrong codes. Use the paperclip method as it is more reliable..;)

Iv checked all my line no leaks and I went to orileys and used there computebeand thats what it threw, im stumped at what the issue could be, iv seen some people say egr valve could be hung up from cabon build up, I did notice it blew out a nice black cloud yesterday RIGHT after it bogged down in drive, it only sputters for a second, and if I give it a bit more gas she clear up and wont have no problems only does it at low rpms

Back