Engine block heater

BCOD236

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hello Explorer fans,
This is my first post. I just ordered a 2015 ruby red explorer and can not wait until I take delivery sometime in late September. I recently received my vin number and saw the projected build date is my birthday. How cool is that.
Anyway I ordered the Limited with the 301A package. While I was sitting talking to my salesman I told him I also wanted an engine block heater installed. Can't do that, he said. Not for an Explorer being delivered to Illinois. Only Minnesota, North or South Dakota, or another Northern state will Ford install a factory engine block heater.
In my Explorer I am getting heated seats, a heated steering wheel, dual climate control, heated back seats, rear window and mirror defrosters. That sound like a truck that is going to a northern climate city. But I can not order a block heater. If I lived im Miami Beach and wanted a block heater installed, what business is that of Ford's. I'm paying for it.
Can someone give me a reason why I can't get an engine block heater in my yet to be built Exporer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has a very high volume production line - once they make build decisions, there is no changing. Who knows what they were thinking. Probably some bean-counter (I mean account) decided they could save $0.02 per vehicle...

You can, however, install your own block heater. (Or have one installed by a competent mechanic.)

Thanks for the reply Scott. Your right, someone at Ford corporate saw a few pennies savings and decided no block heaters for Chicago. But it's OK to install every other imaginable item to keep me warm.
As I said, if I am willing to pay for it, what the heck.
I installed a black heater years ago in my E350 van. So I guess I'll climb under my Explorer and do it again.
Thanks again

To be honest.. I have an engine block heater and never use it. Starts right up at -40..

To be honest.. I have an engine block heater and never use it. Starts right up at -40..

True, but warm air blows right away with the heater.... Getting too soft with the grey hair I guess.

Back