2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think you can get your head back there to see it. It's not going to be easy.
This is one of those times I wish we had a internet cam to watch you try to get back there.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I don't think you can get your head back there to see it. It's not going to be easy.
This is one of those times I wish we had a internet cam to watch you try to get back there.

HAHAHA. Thankfully I have a nice step up stool thing so hopefully I can work something out.. The 1" IM spacer may help give me some clearance to view things a bit better.

While hooking stuff up yesterday I found another wasp nest in the middle of the motor under some hoses... Knocked it out of there and thankfully no damage to anything. So happy I paid a good $100 for some special wasp treatment some company sprayed.. The wasps were out of control at one point and within 24hrs... Gone. Had not seen one since (was mid summer when they sprayed). I was blown away.

Got a little more work done on the truck. Temp has dropped a good deal but still made it outside for an hour or two while watching the kids play outside.

My new battery terminals came in and I swapped them out with the old crusty ones and they allow some more room for extra stuff be to wired up to the battery which gives me more room to wire in my electric PWM fan controller which I got hooked up.

Old and crusty with new and shiny (for now lol)...

picture.php

picture.php

I was able to track down where the vac hose from the brake booster hooks up to the upper intake manifold and get it connected (at least it feels like I connected it all the way up as I had almost zero visibility to it lol). Also found the portion of connection that use to run to the old turbo system and yanked it all out and changed up the old T connection and hooked it all back up.

picture.php

I did run into a couple "snags"... I found a couple plug connections mentioned earlier in the back part of the engine and where they plugged in at and plugged them in (yay) BUT... A random vac hose of some sort broke and the piece vanished and I'm not sure what purpose the hose served.

picture.php

The vac hose is almost like a double hose connector thing located by the transmission dipstick by some of the old EGR stuff use to be and the green hose is the one that broke off... Circled in the picture. Looking over some old pictures it looks like this line is what hooked to the EGR valve on the top and I can simply seal it.

Also while messing around back there and looking downwards against the firewall I see some random looking hose or something protruding from the firewall with nothing connected to it and I don't think there ever was lol... Is this just a firewall piece to allow things to be passed through and is all good? Lol.

picture.php

And the last thing I found still not connected and of which I cannot recall what it connects to is another vac line of some sort that is hooked up at the front of the upper intake manifold with a black boot connection and then runs on a long black vac tube and is taped off (something I did years ago while pulling things apart I'm sure). The photo shows the boot connection and then the other end (hooked it back around to get into the picture but the tube itself is a couple feet in length). Checking my shop books didn't prove very useful lol.

picture.php

Photo is from looking from the front of the truck and that is the front right portion of the upper intake manifold.

Still need to find a key on source to hook the green wire of my waterpump relay to.

Once I figure these things out I should be pretty close to complete...

* Need to fix up my center console stuff that I ripped out that has the gauges and what not in it.
* Replace my center console lid (falling apart).
* Fix a couple door locks/latches which seem to be acting up/sluggish.
* Find some tubing for my washer fluid lines (seem oddly shaped to fix over the pump connectors... Like, the end of the hose that connects to the pump nozzile/nipple is preformed bigger on the ends of the tube versus the normal thickness of the tube thus a generic hose/tube doesn't seem like it would work??).
* Finish tightening up camber bolt stuff.
* Replace brake pads and rotors (little later down the road).
* Replace cracked windshield (also down the road a bit).
* Add coolant, oil, oil filter, etc.
* Charge the new AC system.
* Get a oil tube cap and hose to connect oil tube back into MAC intake.
* Alignment.
* Strip and paint the center wheel caps (rusty looking from sitting so long).
* Rip all of the door panels off and clean up the junk inside of them (while working on the locks and latches... Think some old wasp nests got built inside, ick lol).
* Pray the truck actually runs lol.
* CLEAN IT INSIDE AND OUT HAHA.

I'm trying to remember, but I think that green hose wen't to egr? Those stupid vac hoses sure get brittle with age. With no egr, just plug the line. The other part of the T goes to the injector fuel rail. You want that to be working.

On the front of your motor?I think that is for the emissions tank on the front drivers side towards the bottom. It clips to a vac port on your upper intake if Im thinking of the right piece. The end of the black hose has a strange white clip on it that looks like it is very easy to break?

I'm trying to remember, but I think that green hose wen't to egr? Those stupid vac hoses sure get brittle with age. With no egr, just plug the line. The other part of the T goes to the injector fuel rail. You want that to be working.

On the front of your motor?I think that is for the emissions tank on the front drivers side towards the bottom. It clips to a vac port on your upper intake if Im thinking of the right piece. The end of the black hose has a strange white clip on it that looks like it is very easy to break?

Hmm... Emissions tank.. I'll have to look around for that... Right now it just ends as a hose with nothing at the end (in the picture just has a piece of scotch tape on it).

I found this old pic (ignore the red on the left side) and I marked red lines around the hose line.

picture.php

Where you have the question mark.... that's where that emissions thing plugs in to.
Mine is still intact.

I can look tomorrow night and maybe take a pic or two.

Were going in to what I hope to be our last stretch of cold till the end of the weekend. I'm kinda hoping you find the hose I'm talking about before tomorrow night. I'm a bit concerned that the piece that should be on the end of the hose is busted. That will create an issue.

Where you have the question mark.... that's where that emissions thing plugs in to.
Mine is still intact.

I can look tomorrow night and maybe take a pic or two.

Were going in to what I hope to be our last stretch of cold till the end of the weekend. I'm kinda hoping you find the hose I'm talking about before tomorrow night. I'm a bit concerned that the piece that should be on the end of the hose is busted. That will create an issue.

Oops. Thought I mentioned.. That was an old pic I had found... All the old marks and questions marks are all connected now.. The only portion I was indicating now was the right hose I had the thicker red lines around.. That is the piece I was talking about earlier that is connected at the boot and then runs off a few feet and is not connected to anything at all and just has a piece of scotch tape I placed on the end lol. Sorry for the confusion :D

I see now....
And I have no clue.
I'll have to poke around on my motor and see if I still have that.

I see now....
And I have no clue.
I'll have to poke around on my motor and see if I still have that.

Yeah.. I don't see anything obvious... And the shop manual wasn't much help as I'm not sure what it goes to so I don't know what section to look at. I looked at the upper IM section and it seemed to have glossed right over that connection entirely lol.

After researching around online it looks like possibly I can block off the vac line in question... ?

Found some pictures of people doing the explorer intake swap into Mustangs and they also all seem to block the connection.

My intake after I pulled it off the truck a few years ago (lol):

picture.php

The line in question is the bottom right one in the photo that is not connected to anything.

Found another photo from a Mustang explorer intake swap:

picture.php

Orientation is different and the connection in question in this photo is at the upper left side and is indicated to be blocked.. of course not a direct comparison as this is in reference to installing into a Mustang but if I cannot find any more info of what this line goes to I may just block it and hope for the best haha.

I think the vac line you are looking at actually goes to the vac ball on the passenger wheel well. That vacuum runs your heater and defrost controls.

I think the vac line you are looking at actually goes to the vac ball on the passenger wheel well. That vacuum runs your heater and defrost controls.

OOooOoOooo! I remember that thing.. The ball thing came unmounted at once point a few years ago and I posted something about wtf it was? LOL. Hmmm. Nice! I'll have to check that!

EDIT: Found my old thread asking about the "orb" lol... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353027

Ugh... Found it... Damn tube is broken in multiple places pretty badly... No idea how I can find some kind of replacement lol.. :(

Either off a donor truck, or patch in some flexible vacuum tubing from a auto parts store.

You will have to get creative. Don't give up now.

Either off a donor truck, or patch in some flexible vacuum tubing from a auto parts store.

You will have to get creative. Don't give up now.

Yeah.. Ordering some various size hoses and connectors, T's, reducers, etc, kits on amazon.. Maybe fix my windshield wiper fluid lines and this line.. Lol.

Any suggestions for a good tap to splice into in the engine bay for a key on source?

if you look around your overflow tank, there is a connector laying there with nothing plugged into it (or at least mine did). grab it and start probing. i used it for my flex-a-lite fan controller

if you look around your overflow tank, there is a connector laying there with nothing plugged into it (or at least mine did). grab it and start probing. i used it for my flex-a-lite fan controller

Hmm.. Interesting. I don't have a connector not connected to anything around there. I do have my maf plug and another plug spliced with it that connects to some kind of probe in the cold air intake tube and another connector that is hooked to the washer fluid pump.

Did you just probe around for 12v only present when key is in the on position (but before starting the car) and 0v when Key in off?

Wow it's cold out.

Been working on the truck for a few hours now. I think I found the key on source (metered at 12v when key was on and 0v when off).. Spliced off the Iac plug I believe it is? Hope it's the right place lol.

ForumRunner_20160213_190503.jpg

Hooked up the intake just to test some stuff out.. Fixed the vac lines with some silicone hoses I got in from Amazon today, I think they worked out nice!

ForumRunner_20160213_190605.png

Hope they are air tight lol. Also was able to use the same hose but bigger ones I got to fix my washer fluid lines, yay!

So far looks as if it's coming together a bit...

ForumRunner_20160213_190718.png

Adding some coolant.. And then some oil (and filter) and will see if.. It turns on.. Gas may be a bit old though and going to see if there are some leaks...

Back