Solved - 5R55W problem - P0741 TCC. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 5R55W problem - P0741 TCC.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
So instead of posting a new thread, I'll ask my question here as it seems to be a similar issue.

I have an 02 explorer with about 200k on it. It's a v6, not sure which transmission model. I recently had to get an entire transmission rebuild. About a month later, while driving on the highway, the O/D off light began flashing (blinking rapidly). I took it back to the shop as I'm under warranty and today they changed the torque converter clutch solenoid pack.

A little while ago I got on the highway and the light came back on. I went to another transmission shop and they scanned it. I have a p0741 code. The truck shifts fine but the rpms are slightly higher than usual. I drove the car for over 6 years so I have an idea where the rpms are supposed to be. No noises or anything yet. The light begins to flash anywhere between 45 and 65 mph.

I've driven it about ten miles since they channged the solenoid pack. They want to rebuild the transmission again, which wouldn't be an issue if I didn't need the car to get to/from work and their hours conflict with my work schedule. So my question is, does the computer need to be reset before it recognizes the new tcc solenoid pack? Or does it seem like there's potentially something else, considering the whole transmission was recently rebuilt?
Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mr Anderson,

I'm no expert, but your code and symptoms sound exactly like what I experienced. My bet would be the valve body needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I believe I paid around $250 for a rebuilt one including sending my old one back as a core. My guess is that most tranny shops are going to want to rebuild yours, but you might find one that will swap the VB. It's maybe a 1/2 hr job for them.

Good luck!

Mr Anderson,

I'm no expert, but your code and symptoms sound exactly like what I experienced. My bet would be the valve body needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I believe I paid around $250 for a rebuilt one including sending my old one back as a core. My guess is that most tranny shops are going to want to rebuild yours, but you might find one that will swap the VB. It's maybe a 1/2 hr job for them.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply MotoDan.

I know a decent amount about cars, but transmissions and drivetrain components, not so much. Is the valve body part of the transmission? If so, that should be covered under my warranty. They can rebuild the tranny if needed at no cost to me, but it'd just be a major inconvenience.

With about 203K miles, I'm just trying to make the car last at least another year or so. Also, how long would do you think the problem can go? I obviously want to get it solved as soon as possible, but with schedule conflicts between the shop and I, I'm not sure how soon I can make it back to them.

I don't think there's any urgency in repairing the trans due to a flashing O/D light. I let mine go for a few weeks while I decided what to try. My biggest concerns were 1) reduced gas mileage and 2) annoying higher RPM due to the overdrive not being engaged.

The valve body is a casting, about an inch or so thick and is full of oil passageways, valves, and springs - that's it. These small piston type valves are responsible for selecting different gears - including overdrive. When they wear beyond their limits, the trans can no longer shift properly. The VB is what you see when you remove the trans drain pan. It's not really too difficult to replace. Getting oil back into the tranny is probably a bigger pain. This trans can only be filled through the drain plug since there's no fill tune under the hood like most cars have. You can buy an inexpensive hand pump (which resembles a grease gun) to refill the trans. It takes a while since there's around 10 qts that have to go back in. Since I was inside mine more than once, I rigged up a little bilge pump from Walmart which really made it much easier and quicker to fill.

So don't be too alarmed about driving with the O/D light on. Gas is cheap right now!

I don't think there's any urgency in repairing the trans due to a flashing O/D light. I let mine go for a few weeks while I decided what to try. My biggest concerns were 1) reduced gas mileage and 2) annoying higher RPM due to the overdrive not being engaged.

The valve body is a casting, about an inch or so thick and is full of oil passageways, valves, and springs - that's it. These small piston type valves are responsible for selecting different gears - including overdrive. When they wear beyond their limits, the trans can no longer shift properly. The VB is what you see when you remove the trans drain pan. It's not really too difficult to replace. Getting oil back into the tranny is probably a bigger pain. This trans can only be filled through the drain plug since there's no fill tune under the hood like most cars have. You can buy an inexpensive hand pump (which resembles a grease gun) to refill the trans. It takes a while since there's around 10 qts that have to go back in. Since I was inside mine more than once, I rigged up a little bilge pump from Walmart which really made it much easier and quicker to fill.

So don't be too alarmed about driving with the O/D light on. Gas is cheap right now!

Wow! Thanks so much for explaining that. It makes sense. Yeah I've seen the procedure to fill transmission fluid and it's definitely a bit more involved without the under-hood fill reservoir.

My last question is, when you had the flashing light, did you have any issues going at high speeds like 75 mph? I only ask because I read somewhere that the torque converter will lock up. Was this an issue for you when you had the flashing o/d?

First off, when you hear the torque converter will "lock up", they are not saying it will stop turning or "lock", they are saying that the TC will lock to the engine shaft in a 1:1 ratio - aka overdrive. This is what your truck is currently not doing. So even if you could bear the roar of the engine at 75 MPH without O/D, you are not at risk of the transmission seizing up.

First off, when you hear the torque converter will "lock up", they are not saying it will stop turning or "lock", they are saying that the TC will lock to the engine shaft in a 1:1 ratio - aka overdrive. This is what your truck is currently not doing. So even if you could bear the roar of the engine at 75 MPH without O/D, you are not at risk of the transmission seizing up.

Thanks very much for all your input.

I think my RPMs are a little higher than normal but I'm not in over drive. If I press the o/d off button while driving, I notice a significant increase in rpm. If I press it again, it drops down but still slightly higher than usual. Of course throughout all this, the light remains blinking until I pull over/stop and restart the engine. Driving around the city at 30-35 mph, I almost never see the o/d come on. Once I cross 45 mph it gets more likely to happen.

I have a 99 Explorer Sport, SOHC, 3.55 ratio transmission. Had since new, now has 282K miles. OD light is now flashing. Transmission shop says codes are for TCC lock up and 2nd gear slippage. The transmission has never been serviced in 282K miles. When OD is flashing, it means the computer will not allow it to shift to higher gears (4, 5). Thus, mileage goes down.

Anyhoo... has anyone actually fixed this issue by flushing and replacing the filter ? Or with VB service ?

The shop quoted 2400 to 2800 to rebuild. The car is worth about 1800 according to KBB.

BTW, just drove the car from west coast to midwest and back (4000 miles), hauling 1500 pounds of junk. OD mis-behaved occasionally, meant I had to stop, turn off the car to reset, continue on. Otherwise, in ice, snow, rain and 1500 pounds of junk, the car did quite well.

When OD is flashing, it means the computer will not allow it to shift to higher gears (4, 5). Thus, mileage goes down.

Mileage WOULD go down, for conditions you describe, but, a flashing OD OFF light is also "thrown" after successful shifts into all 5 gears, and then FAILED torque converter clutch (TCC) to engage. If driven with disengaged TCC, fuel economy will drop by around 5% or so, not harmful to transmission. I drove mine home 2000 miles w/ flashing light, no TCC, replaced solenoid module, fixed. imp

Where did you buy your solenoid at? I'm possibly looking at having to replace mine, looking for a good place online since I live far away from any cities.

Hello everyone,

So the O/D light is still flashing above 45mph. I had the shop take a look at it and they *say* they ended up replacing the transmission and the torque converter (both under warranty, so I didn't have to pay). The issue is still there.

I got the car back on Friday after they had it for over a week, and it still drives fine but the flashing light gets annoying, especially when driving at night. Since it's close to the CEL, I always panic a little because I think it's the CEL blinking for a misfire.

The shop believes that it's "something electrical outside of the tranny". What do you guys think? Is it possible that replacing the transmission and torque converter would give the same exact symptoms, or are they pulling my leg and probably didn't change anything?

Yep, I ended up drilling it out and tapping it. Trans definitely shifts smoother but still no 5th gear and has late shifting from 1st to second.

Going to order OD servo, I'll report back results.
What ended up being the problem? Mines doing the same thing, 1st gear winds out until I left the accelerator to manipulate it into 2nd and od light flashing

Hello all,

Thought I'd give you yet another update on my '02 Explorer. I now have 440k miles on the truck and the tranny is still purring along. The last service that was done to it was when I replaced the valve body back in 2013. I've done the same valve body replacement on my other Explorer (2006 with 200k miles). It didn't have any codes (yet), but the shifting was starting to act up.

So if you're having tranny troubles - especially a flashing O/D light or funking shifting, you might want to try a rebuilt valve body. The cost is under $300 - way less than a rebuilt trans.

Happy Holidays!
MotoDan

Back