93 Explorer 4.0 Fuel System Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer 4.0 Fuel System Problems

a_cmc_2b

Reaction score
City, State
Rural South Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
:scratch:Could you good folks enlighten me on all the things that might cause a fuel pump to not pump on a 1993 Explorer? Any diagrams or specs would be great also. Is there a downloadable oem repair manual available? If this is covered in another thread i'd be grateful for any & all links.

I don't want to drop the tank unless I have to.

I have removed the Fuel Filter & get no fuel while turning the engine over.
I checked the inertia(?)switch & it wasn't thrown.
I swapped one fuel pump relay with another one(under hood on passenger fender).
I tried to see if there was a fuel pump fuse under the dash but the fusebox cover is gone.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's fuse 18 in the box under the hood. I'll be back later if nobody adds anything to this, but the fuel pump circuit is pretty easy. See if you can get someone to turn the key, while you have a finger on the fuel pump relay and see if it's clicking for you.

It might be the pump itself. I would drop the tank and bench test the pump with 12VDC.

It might be the pump itself. I would drop the tank and bench test the pump with 12VDC.

Is there not a way to test the pump without dropping the tank?

Anyone got the wiring diagram for the fuel pump circuit?

I've found that the wiring diagram in Chiltons is adequate for the fuel pump circuit. If you don't have a print manual, you can access an electronic version by registering with autozone's website.

As noted above, the fuel pump circuit is a pretty basic DC circuit. Once you know you have a good ground and have 12 V to the pump, if the pump isn't going, then the pump is bad.

Ok, picked up a new pump and sock at the parts house today, got the tank dropped but cannot get the fules lines disconnected. What's the special trick? I have a set of plastic tools that i've used on other vehicles and even to take the fuel filter off of this Explorer.

If you have a part number or picture of the exact tool you use that works well please post it.

Back