Transmission 5R55E slipping, OD blinking | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission 5R55E slipping, OD blinking

Not what you think.

The cause of your problem is one thing and one thing only. Your intermediate band is very loose or broken. i have a 99 and is doing exactly the same thing. so the thing that makes these bands break is the piston type things that are in the case that make these bands move, are worn out and have put your band in a pinch long enough to break it, and this usually happens at the clip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced the upper and lower valve body and servo gaskets it fixed the rough shifting from 2 to 3 . Gaskets cost 12.00 dollars 6 quarts of fluid and filter kit all total cost for parts was 65.00 dollars. It took 3 hrs. To do but it was the first time I had ever done something like that so I took my time. ps it also shut the od light out. I hope this will help some one else out. If you try to do this your self make sure you lay out the bolts from the valve body in the pattern they came out so you put them back in the right holes the three bolts in the lower valve body torque to 70 in lbs valve body to trans case torque to 90 in lbs. when you take the plate off the valve body don't turn the valve body over because you can dump springs and ball valves out.

my 1996 explorer slips going into OD. Light is not blinking. Shifts fine letting off of the gas between 45 and 50mph.

Time to get a smog on my 1996 explorer xlt. Last year I had a trouble code pop up of 0130 O2 sensor malfunction. was never repaired. Just the other day put the code reader back on and a different code popped up of 0340, Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. is the orginal trouble code code still there just overridden with two problems? BTW, sometimes you can feel a roughness in the idle.

Okay I lost reverse in my 98 explorer sport. I replaced the shift fork in my transfer case and reverse works but now the transmission is shifting hard, rpm are revving up when you hit 40mph and not shifting at that point. I checked the transmission and every thing looked great. Still no go....anyone got any ideas...?

I'm glad somebody posted this. My transmission has slipped since I bought it. I changed the filter and it didn't help at all. Will be getting a valve body filter kit this weekend and trying that. Hopefully that's the last time I have to put money into the transmission. Can start spending money on the engine.

I'm glad somebody posted this. My transmission has slipped since I bought it. I changed the filter and it didn't help at all. Will be getting a valve body filter kit this weekend and trying that. Hopefully that's the last time I have to put money into the transmission. Can start spending money on the engine.

With mine it ended up being my transfer case. I went to pull apart and got one for about $65. Ever since then its been running fine. Good luck to ya on yours.

Hey rich1zoom....

Im new to this site and i do love it very much! I might add.. your reply caught my attention because im having the exact same problem you had with your trac. Im geting the 2nd - 3rd slippage, the flashing OD off light and at times my ABS light comes on and stays. (AbS is random though). Ive tried changing valve body gaskets and stilll happens. My VB actually looks pretty good as my eyes can tell and today i purchased a speed sensor hoping that may fix my problem. But like you, i femember reading about the ABS sensor and how it fixed someother guys slippage and OD off flashing. Long story short, im gonna put the new speed sensor on and then buy the ABS sensor and do that as well. After reading your reply i feel very confident this will do the trick! Ill let u know what comes of it as well...

1995 ford explorer 4.0

Transmission Issue here too....

I recently purchased a 2000 ford explorer with a 6 cylinder and 4wd. When driving the car home the od light started flashing. I have had the truck for less than a week and have experienced no real slippage or hard shifting but I have seen the postings all over the net about the 5r55e transmission and various problems with blown valve body gaskets, bad servo, speed sensors and bore hole issues. What I was wondering is if you could help or point me to someone who can confirm a diagnosis prior to me ordering various parts.

I did have the transmission scanned by a repair shop and the returned codes were p0732 and p0735 indicating slippage in the respective gears. I hadn't noticed those codes referenced anywhere on your site.

I am planning on trying to handle this repair myself with a mechanically adept family member and as I said I was hoping to have a better feeling on what the issue is before tackling it.

Any help is appreciated.

2003 Ford Explorer XLT - tranny rebuild

I just paid off my explorer last year, after one year, 2007, my daughter didn't want it anymore, anyhoo, I fell in love with my truck.

This past June, I heard a clunk when I put in park, I opted to put some TF, and get it over to Ford Service, the OD light started blinking, High rpms between shifts, I was told 2nd and 5th gear were gone.

I would like to rebuild it myself, any tips or "heads up", before I begin my endeavor.

Thanks, a girl and her truck :yelexp: ...

tranny issue

My transmission seems to slip when going from 1st to 2nd. Letting off the gas lets it go into 2nd but this then sets of the o/d off flashing light. Any suggestions where to start?

Alright, why isn't any one posting their outcomes? i see many problems in this thread and only 1 or two that seemed to be solved. i'm having the O/D light flashing and ABS light on. [MENTION=148680]jamesod[/MENTION]ison i hope someone can give you a good starting point. i've only been a owner for about a month - month and a half. i had this problem too when i purchased it and the guy i bought it off of already ordered a new valve body, gasket and filter so all i had to do was install it. got rid of the revving between shifts. Now i have the O/D light start flashing after longer drives or uphill. The ABS light is always on. The person i bought it off of put a 5 inch body lift and 33x12.5 tires on it. i'm pretty sure nothing was done to the suspension or axles to accommodate the larger tires. i only use this for getting to work and home. about 5 miles a day, so i dont have to drive my good car during the winter. but i would like to get it running to where i can take longer trips with it. anyone have any advice or part numbers for the speed sensors or ABS sensors in this vehicle?

Was the valve body gasket blown at all? I found a helpful vid to show how to replace. I will start with this. http://youtu.be/ilYmZpgfXa8

Mine was slipping from 3-4. my gasket looked completely fine. it could have been the throttle body itself. it doesnt have the slip anymore after replacing. Still get the O/D light coming on uphill and long trips though. thats the same video i used. my torque wrench wouldn't go down that far though. the lowest it would go is 120 inch lbs. so i kinda played it by ear. hahaha

Well I took apart the valve body and sure enough the gasket was blown. I replaced the valve body too while it was apart.

Back