Location: Door lock relays? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mavrick1903

Reaction score
City, State
Stoughton, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Can someone tell me where the heck my door lock relays are? 1999 XLT Exp? they dont seem to be in the box under the hood, or are they? when trying to fix my driver door lock actuator (does not seem to be the actuator, seems to be wiring or relay. suggestions wanted for either) we pulled all of the relays in the box near the master cylinder, and it does not seem to be one of those. anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think so... back cargo area, driver's side.

PS. its most likely NOT the relay... more likely a broken wire BUT you need to indicate more info about what symptoms you have.

PS. its most likely NOT the relay... more likely a broken wire BUT you need to indicate more info about what symptoms you have.

I stand corrected!! They are in the cargo area! Just looked it up in the owners manual, 1 for lock, 1 for unlock, 1 for driver dr unlock.
Sorry about that!

Thank you Budwich.

Ok, here are the symptoms. Driver door does not lock/unlock by any button or standard setting (like tapping the brakes). meaning, the remote does not do it, nor do the lock buttons. the key fob will unlock the rest of the locks with the double push. single push does not cause any sounds at all. I bought (then returned) a new lock actuator and plugged it in without actually installing it, and it does not work on the plug, but when tested, it's fine, so it's not the actuator. the driver door lock switch does lock/unlock all other locks. so yes, I agree, it could be the wiring, but it's the return to the acutator not the switch. I figure the relay is what to check next though.

can anyone provide/direct me to a box map as to which relay it is? my Exp did not come with an owners manual and I dont think the Haynes book has it.

Sooo.... it is NOT your relay as it is the same relay for all locks and since the other doors work, its a broken wire issue. Most common problem... "millions" of posts. Use a meter and check PK/BK and PK/O for ground / battery at "appropriate times" (ie. lock . unlock). Most likely break is at the door post / column.

I had thought that the driver door was a seperate relay? or is only the driver unlock seperate, and the lock is "all lock"??

Sooo.... it is NOT your relay as it is the same relay for all locks and since the other doors work, its a broken wire issue. Most common problem... "millions" of posts. Use a meter and check PK/BK and PK/O for ground / battery at "appropriate times" (ie. lock . unlock). Most likely break is at the door post / column.

Yes there is a driver side unlock relay... for the "hit once, unlock driver, hit / hold unlock the whole ting" feature (IF you have it... I think its referred to as the "electronics option"). I don't have my "drawings" here at this moment so I can't confirm but my feeling is you have a wiring issue NOT a relay issue.

anyone know where the wire runs? and/or where would the most likely spot for a wiring issue be?

I agree, the relay for all doors would operate the LF door.

The wiring issues are typically between the kick panel and the LF door jamb connector. Rarely is it in the actual connector or on the door side. Check those last. Regards,

I have a similar problem, only my drivers side door unlock will not work - I can lock all the doors from the passenger side...and unlock from the drivers...but i can't lock from it - nor does the key fob lock work now either....

I have a 95 explore, that the door locks, lock and unlock for no reason.Just driving down the road.Can someone help me,Thanks

Likely a corroded/damaged switch. There are 3; one in the driver door, one in the passenger door, and one in the cargo area.

The driver's door one is the one that usually goes first because it is used more often, and the door is opened frequently, exposing the switch to the rain. Next check the passenger switch. Check the cargo switch last; it usually doesn't get exposed to the rain the way the door ones do.

If they all test good, it could be a couple of wires are pinched together and making intermittent contact.

anybody now where i can find the relays for sporttrac door locks

all doors will work but the front driverside will not work lock or unlock

Back