Need some feedback before making a purchase | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some feedback before making a purchase

Cool. I'll do that for sure! Can you tell anything by the report I posted?

Seems to be checkbox style listings from dealerships. Dealers don't have to report to Carfax so I wouldn't trust it. Id only go by Fords system. However due note that OASIS does not show customer pay type jobs, only warranty and ext warranty repairs. It is a national system so it will show everything from every dealer on one report.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool. I'll do that for sure! Can you tell anything by the report I posted?

I was surprised when I ran the carfax on my old Explorer. Only the visits to the Ford dealer showed up, and there were large gaps in my service history as a result. None of the oil changes done at the gas station by work were on there, nor were some of the repairs that I had done at a place that does good work and which is 30% cheaper than the dealership (sorry Ford..). My car had also been in a minor accident where someone ran through a red light and hit my drivers side door. That wasn't on the carfax either, but I disclosed it to my buyer anyway! What was most annoying was the fact that the dealership had fat fingered a mileage entry on one visit and so carfax reported a mileage discrepancy. Fortunately, I had saved receipts that made it pretty obvious that the carfax entry was a mistake, but that was still a pain to have to talk through it while trying to sell the car..

Sorry.. side-tracked myself :) Basically what I was trying to say was that carfax reports are not necessarily complete. Based on the history report the dealership has had the car since Jan, and has put on another 15k miles between now and then. That's a lot, to me. I guess it's been a loaner or something like that, and that probably means random drivers who may or may not have treated the car with respect as they drive it. Kinda like buying one of them rental fleet cars. Not exactly what I consider to be a 1 owner car.

I just got a copy of the complete Oasis report. It's a pdf. Is there any way to share it here so you guys can see it?

How does this Oasis Report Look?

I'm considering buying a 2011 Explorer Limited that seems to be in great shape. I've been test driving it all weekend and haven't really had any issues with it all...it's seems to be a great car. I got a copy of the Oasis report, and as far as I can tell it looks very good.

This is my first Ford, and I know some people have had issues with their Explorer, but based on the report I've attached would you feel pretty good about the purchase? The dealer also says they can see all service has been done at the dealership and he has never gone past the 7,5000 recommended intervals. This car is also a Certified pre owned which they say means it's in top shape.

I really like the car and was very nervous about the purchase after reading the forums...but this report looks good, and I'll be getting the ESP on it. Hopefully with a report like this it would seem like this is one of the "good ones." Thoughts?

Thanks!

http://postimg.org/image/hv8w892hh/ (Page 1)

http://postimg.org/image/uhxgihbdv/ (Page 2)

Looks good to me. Only had the APIM replaced and the MyFord Touch updates done with new navigation card.

I just got a copy of the complete Oasis report. It's a pdf. Is there any way to share it here so you guys can see it?

The Oasis just goes to show that there are some really solid Explorers out there. I'm shocked that there hasn't been any warranty claims but that is a good thing in my eyes. If most of them haven't happened yet, I doubt they will happen.

I see it has the power train warranty as it is a CPO, but all that covers in the engine (not sure if powertrain is transmission or not - for my F250, it is not). You need the Premium ESP to cover the transmission.

For me, I wouldn't hesitate the purchase after seeing that report. I'd still buy a Ford Premium ESP (I paid $1,705 for mine which was $100 over cost, so you should be at $1,605 for a 6yr/125,000 mile $100 deductible warranty with first day rental). Some feel they are a waste of money but for me, I don't want the chance of repair bills while I'm financing my vehicle. It is worth the extra $15 a month to know I won't have to deal with it even if it turns up being a waste.

I love my 2013 Sport. Has the right amount of power, handling, and room. Drives great. That being said, I've already had two mechanical issues and not even at 20k. No big deal still under warranty. But I also have a 2009 Infiniti G37x with close to 50k and has never been in the shop for more than an oil change.

I love my 2013 Sport. Has the right amount of power, handling, and room. Drives great. That being said, I've already had two mechanical issues and not even at 20k. No big deal still under warranty. But I also have a 2009 Infiniti G37x with close to 50k and has never been in the shop for more than an oil change.

Yah, I hear you. The reports I posted Have made me feel a lot better. I'm
Just trying to decide if 51k is to many miles. I'll have the esp to 125k so things will Be covered for a while.

Really? I've been looking and I don't see that. This one has the 302 package, 4x4, 2nd row captain chairs with center console, drivers luxury package, White Platinum Metallic....I could't find anything with those exact specs...

A lot of the Limited's I've seen online don'don't have the 302 packages, or the 2nd row captains chairs.

I work at a dealer, I see plenty of 2011's coming off lease and know what I can buy them for. I have a 2013 with 20k ish miles on my lot listed for $35k, certified, it's only a 301 with bucket, roof, polished 20's but its not far off a 302a pkg.

Looking to purchase an Explorer

Hi,

I am in the market for a current generation Explore. I'll probably end up with something used like a 2011 or 2012. I just started my research so I figured I would come to the Explore forum and ask the experts.

Anything major to look out for? What are some common problems with the 5th generation? Hows the towing capacity? Does having the factory tow package make a difference? How about the Sync system. I had heard the was buggy.

We have just ordered a new 2015 Sport. I did a lot of research on these vehicles, but you are in the best place to read about any problems with the older models. As far as towing capacity, its 5000 lbs with the factory tow package installed. That package also includes things like an engine oil cooler too, that an aftermarket one would not. I've been told that most of the problems with the MyFordTouch system have been worked out with all the software updates. We test drove a 2014, and we loved it so much we didn't want to get out of it. The MyFordTouch in that one performed flawlessly.

Welcome to the Forum BoSox13.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this existing one. I think you'll find some of your answers here. The earlier models, 2011 and 2012, experienced some 'growing pains' on the part of Ford. That is not to say that the latest models are problem free either but many issues have been addressed.
Some members had all kinds of problems with their Explorers but my 2011 Limited was basically problem free although it did experience the PTU leak.
You may also want to check out the following 2 threads;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397235&highlight=buying+explorer

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359286&highlight=buying+explorer

Peter

Back