Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2006 Jetta buffets badly with the rear windows open, so much noise I could see my kids mouths moving but couldn't hear them asking me what is going on. Have to have the right combination or windows opens. Seems the more aerodynamic the design the more prone they are for this.

Welcome to the Forum psj. :wavey:
I have the dual panel moonroof and do not have any rattling noise. Only a little bit of wind noise. I'm not sure what you meant when you said "rear moon roof open". :scratch: Only the front panel opens. The back one is fixed.
At least it is on my 2011.

Peter

I meant the shade on the rear moon roof. The glass itself does not open. Sorry for confusion. Thanks for reply.

Worble Sound/Effect that is Painful

Hi,

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport (delivery date 9/6/13) and when I roll down any of the windows, above 20mph approx., I get this painful and loud worble sound. I've tried rolling the windows down different configurations and with the sunroof open or just vented and it wont stop. The dog and the kids don't like riding in the car with the windows down. The dog will get on the floor behind the driver or passenger seats now when the windows start coming down.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, how did you fix it or at least minimize it?

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi,

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport (delivery date 9/6/13) and when I roll down any of the windows, above 20mph approx., I get this painful and loud worble sound. I've tried rolling the windows down different configurations and with the sunroof open or just vented and it wont stop. The dog and the kids don't like riding in the car with the windows down. The dog will get on the floor behind the driver or passenger seats now when the windows start coming down.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, how did you fix it or at least minimize it?

Thanks,

Chris.
Welcome to the Forum MarinMom.:wavey:
Chris, as per my PM, I have moved your post to this thread. Hopefully it will explain the issue.

Peter

This is normal.. what I do is I crack the 2 rear windows approximately 2 inches when I have the front windows open and it takes care of it. It is the nature of the beast as you can read in this thread about the way air circulates in the vehicle. This has happened in almost every vehicle I've had.

Since the OP hasn't confirmed if the buffeting was the issue the only other thing i've noticed that also sounds like a helicopter when the windows are down is the moonroof slide shade or cover. The material will get caught in the wind and flutter quite a bit.

Hi,

Thanks,

Chris.

Different configurations will not help, you must crack one or both of the front windows around a inch or so. It really is just a physics thing.

It is aerodynamics. Older cars would not have a smooth airflow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmYC9zBseSw

This is a clear example of turbulent airflow. The air spreading and causing a vortex in front of the windshield. That flipping air is when smooth air hits something to cause it to warp. Opening a window is not going to allow that smooth air to just escape and it'll just flip on itself to make a noise. Older cars did not have smooth airflow and that's why you would not hear those helicopter sounds.

Huey in the cabin

It isn't just the Explorer apparently. I have a 2014 Fusion and the exact same problem! Rear windows down, even a crack at speeds starting around 30mph. I've never been in a helicopter let alone a large military model, but I imagine this is what it must be like. Frankly, the rear windows are absolutely unusable as I feel my brains are going to be sucked out of my ears. NEVER would have considered this vehicle had I experienced this in a test drive!

This is my seventh car/truck and none of them did this, no car I've ever ridden in has done this, 2dr/4dr, long/short, high/low, fast/slow.

My Hyundai Sonata does it, its one of the 2011-2014 models. This is definitely not unique to the Explorer. I've found varying which windows are open helps - ie if only the back two windows are open, crack a front window. If all four windows are down, put one of the rear windows at about half way up.

It isn't just the Explorer apparently. I have a 2014 Fusion and the exact same problem! Rear windows down, even a crack at speeds starting around 30mph. I've never been in a helicopter let alone a large military model, but I imagine this is what it must be like. Frankly, the rear windows are absolutely unusable as I feel my brains are going to be sucked out of my ears. NEVER would have considered this vehicle had I experienced this in a test drive!

This is my seventh car/truck and none of them did this, no car I've ever ridden in has done this, 2dr/4dr, long/short, high/low, fast/slow.

Every vehicle that I've driven/owned, with power windows, does this. The key is power windows, without them most don't roll them down without having the front down as well. This includes several different models of Ford and GM.

Lewisra is correct...Every vehicle regardless of make will experience the buffeting noise...some are just more pronounced than others due to their overall design/air streaming capabilities. Simply varying the heights on all the windows will help to dramatically reduce it. To state that you would not have purchased a vehicle (if you had experienced it during a test drive) due to this "inherent to every vehicle issue", is just ludicrous IMO.

Well then, every other vehicle I have owned or been in with the rear windows down has done the same thing so insignificantly as to not be noticeable. It is absolutely intolerable in the Fusion, as I've said, the rear windows are essentially useless and I happen to like fresh air in the car on occasion but not in my face as would be the case with a front window open. So again, had I experienced this before purchase, there would have been no purchase. It is that bad. But now that I know it is a possibility, I will examine this in the future before making a purchase.

I happen to like fresh air in the car on occasion but not in my face as would be the case with a front window open.

I crack the passenger window or driver window if there is a passenger. Only takes an inch or two to eliminate it.

Who drives around with the rear windows down, anyway? This is certainly a non-issue!

I've seen a few dog owners do that. Not saying if it's right to do so or not.

Peter

I have just purchased certified pre owned explorer for the wife and yes the wind buffetting or whatever you call it is extremely annoying .I have walked around (inside)the vehicle while my wife is driving and the kids laughing at me in back.The oscillation of air pressure is so strong that it even shakes the back plastic panel on the tailgate.It happens above 40mph w/ either back window down at least a third of the way or in combination.To break the high /low pressure difference which causes a shock wave then open either front window a smidgen or more.The slip stream causes intense high pressure against very low pressure in the large cab inside.I am pissed off about it.Perhaps because of worse aerodynamics it never happened in our older grand cherokee.I doubt this happens in new jeeps.I will have to experiment w/ vent visors or something else to disrupt airflow.My wife loves her white 2012 explorer but I like the grand cherokees better.Anyone got an idea on this airflow dilemma.The designers got off easy.This would never happen @ BMW or Porsche.Real BS.If you dont open front windows then youd have to wear earmuffs unless you want to break the eardrums.Now I wish I had the moon roof.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have just purchased certified pre owned explorer for the wife and yes the wind buffetting or whatever you call it is extremely annoying .I have walked around (inside)the vehicle while my wife is driving and the kids laughing at me in back.The oscillation of air pressure is so strong that it even shakes the back plastic panel on the tailgate.It happens above 40mph w/ either back window down at least a third of the way or in combination.To break the high /low pressure difference which causes a shock wave then open either front window a smidgen or more.The slip stream causes intense high pressure against very low pressure in the large cab inside.I am pissed off about it.Perhaps because of worse aerodynamics it never happened in our older grand cherokee.I doubt this happens in new jeeps.I will have to experiment w/ vent visors or something else to disrupt airflow.My wife loves her white 2012 explorer but I like the grand cherokees better.Anyone got an idea on this airflow dilemma.The designers got off easy.This would never happen @ BMW or Porsche.Real BS.If you dont open front windows then youd have to wear earmuffs unless you want to break the eardrums.Now I wish I had the moon roof.

I'm going to correct you on this with other sources:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/sunroof-buffeting-sound-20338.html
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/514851/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee.html?page=43

It happens. I wouldn't say it is poor aerodynamics, The car has a much lower drag coefficient. I don't see the problem with cracking a window.

Back