Climate control does not heat anymore | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Climate control does not heat anymore

KlausJ

Reaction score
City, State
Frankfurt, Germany, Europe
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Callsign
DG6FCR
Hi,

since a few days I experienced that my 2011 Explorers´ Climate system does not provide hot air anymore.
No matter if I adjust the Climate control to max heat (displaying "Hi"in MFT), there is only cool air coming out of the ducts.
I tried a reset but didn´t help. A/C works and cools down the air but as winter comes, this is the last thing I need at the moment.

Rear compartment heating still works but normal heating does it no longer.
Has anyone an idea what is going wrong?
In a couple of days I´ll have it at the dealer´s shop but they usually have no clue about that vehicle (german dealer ->US Car... ).

Currently I can use the rear heating to get the interieur warm but this is only a temporary solution.

Klaus

Look on here for the 'blend door' or 'lack of heat'.
But if it was working ok up to now, & is not suddenly working, it could be bad heater core

Possibly this TSB for blend door is the issue, although the posts here about it generally are not zero heat, just reduced heating.

But if you're headed to the dealer they can look this up.
From this description -does it seem to match what you are experiencing?

12-1-8 DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) - BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR INOPERATIVE

ISSUE:
Some 2011 Explorer vehicles equipped with DATC system may experience unresponsive temperature change when requested and/or erratic temperature change.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove temperature blend door actuators, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412-00.
Suspect parts have a black cover and new service part has a white cover.
Remove alignment feature from new actuators. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 12-1-8

Support actuator flange so there is not stress on the actuator body. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 12-1-8

Drill out the 2 webs with a 3.17 mm (1/8") drill bit. (Figure 3)

Figure 3 - Article 12-1-8

Install new actuators, refer to WSM, Section 412-00.
Reprogram the Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) module to the latest calibration using IDS release 76.04 and higher or 77.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
AA5Z-19E616-C Motor Assembly

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120108A 2011 Explorer: Replace The Blend Door Actuators Includes Time To Modify The New Actuators And Reprogram The HVAC Module (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.1 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
19E616 42

thank you.
Finally I figured out, that it only fails temporarily. When I came home and tried again, first only the passenger side heated up but after some switching between max cold and max heat finally the heater worked on both sides.
Compared to ypur post, that would fit to the TSB´s description.

Klaus

Back