How to get better Gas Mileage? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get better Gas Mileage?

PooPooSandwich, your thread has been merged with this existing one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PooPooSandwich, your thread has been merged with this existing one.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I saw some threads after I posted lol. I'll be checking my tire pressure today, see if they need a little air and if they do hopefully that helps. I don't have weight in my trunk, it's empty.

So my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT NOT flex fuel or anything, says it gets up to 24 mpg (I know I will not get that) but right now I'm pushing now at 20.5 (had it at 21.1 about 3 months ago). I will really hoping to get to about 22 mpg. I do a lot of highway so I wondering what you guys do to get better gas mileage, if you do get good gas mileage...

Hi PooPooSandwich,

If you'd like to save some green at the pump, I'd recommend taking a peek at our tips for improving your fuel economy here: http://support.ford.com/maintenance/fuel-saving-tips

Crystal

I only have a little over 700 miles on my 2014 XLT and the highest MPG I have seen on the reading to the left of the dashboard is 12.4. The 1st tank of gas it was 11.5, the 2nd tank 11.9.

This is all city driving with no highways as the speed limit here is max 50 on long stretches of road out of town. Town limits are 25-30.

It looks like the mileage is improving with each tank of gas and as the engine gets broken in. Doubtful that I will make it to the 17mpg city that is advertised on the window sticker!
I just turned over 1700 miles. It gets better as you go. I'm up to about 16.7 now for combined.

Sardine cans can draft just like our Ex's.....lol
Really get some mpg's with a focus drafting!:eek:

I use my 2012 Focus Titanium as an airport car. Love it. Sound system is atleast twice as good at the Sports'. Drives straight at highway speeds. Gets over 31 MPG driving 80 mph all day long. Yes the double clutch tranny is not much fun in the city. On the highway in top gear-runs great.

When I get home from work, I jump in the Sport and have fun schooling other SUV's and a few cars on consistent rocket launches.

Trying to figure out why someone would think buying a heavy beast like the Exploder would ever get good gas mileage.

Buzz

On a recent trip to Savannah, GA the MPG indicator on dash had us getting on average for trip at 22 MPG. I have not really checked this number, but I figure it is not too far off. Driving at interstate speeds, staying with flow of traffic I think that is pretty good for the XLT. We purchased the XLT for extra room and good power, plus a verify smooth and comfortable ride. Knew it would not get great gas mileage. Very satisfied with the XLT. As far as we are concerned the styling is as good as any comparable SUV on the market.

crrobbins

If you have owned and driven prior generation Explorers, I have had a 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010, you will realize how much better this generation is for gas mileage. I average about 5 mpg better with the 2014 than I did with any of the others. And the 2014 is a bigger car!

Quit complaining and take it for what it is!

I only have a little over 700 miles on my 2014 XLT with the 3.5L Flex Fuel engine. We only have access to straight 89 or 93 octane gasoline and no ethanol or mixed. The highest MPG I have seen on the reading to the left of the dashboard is 12.4. The 1st tank of gas it was 11.5, the 2nd tank 11.9.

This is all city driving with no highways as the speed limit here is max 50 on long stretches of road out of town. Town limits are 25-30.

It looks like the mileage is improving with each tank of gas and as the engine gets broken in. Doubtful that I will make it to the 17mpg city that is advertised on the window sticker!

** UPDATE **

After 2400 miles I am now up to 14.8 MPG running 89 octane.
I realize I only get to drive it a little over 500 miles per month and all on very low speed 30-50 mph and 2-5 mile hops. Not much road here!

We purchased the XLT for extra room and good power, plus a verify smooth and comfortable ride. Knew it would not get great gas mileage. Very satisfied with the XLT. As far as we are concerned the styling is as good as any comparable SUV on the market.

crrobbins

This

Agreed but this.......

** UPDATE **

After 2400 miles I am now up to 14.8 MPG running 89 octane.
I realize I only get to drive it a little over 500 miles per month and all on very low speed 30-50 mph and 2-5 mile hops. Not much road here!
That is about what my driving is like except I only do about 300 miles a month. Only the odd round trip of an hour or less. Getting around 21.5 mpg or 17 mpg after conversion to U.S. numbers.

Peter

Agreed but this.......

I have owned 5 brand new cars in the past 8 years. I have never came close to the window sticker. Usually 5-7 mpg below

Thanks all.

I guess the window sticker results are actually lab results from steady footed robots done on a rolling road dyno with no hills and perfect tortoise takeoffs every time. Unfortunately that is not real life!

It is good news that the MPG keeps improving after each tankful and it's great to know that it looks like I may come very close to 'window sticker' numbers in the end.

Peterk9, how many miles are on your vehicle that is getting 17 MPG?

Just for s&g, I just checked mine. I'm at 3982 miles averaging 14.7 mpg combined.

Thanks all.

I guess the window sticker results are actually lab results from steady footed robots done on a rolling road dyno with no hills and perfect tortoise takeoffs every time. Unfortunately that is not real life!

It is good news that the MPG keeps improving after each tankful and it's great to know that it looks like I may come very close to 'window sticker' numbers in the end.

Peterk9, how many miles are on your vehicle that is getting 17 MPG?
2175 miles. I believe the industry has introduced new testing methods for MPG. They are supposed to take into account more realistic driving. I would expect to see the advertised figures to go down as a result.

Peter

My 2 cents...
I get better mpg by quickly getting up to speed vs slowly getting up to speed. My theory is that by slowly getting up speed the trans shifts sooner (too soon) and you lose the mechanical advantage of the lower gears to get the vehicle moving.

The brake pedal is the mpg killer. Using the brake kills the energy you have moving the vehicle forward and you have to use more fuel to get it moving again. Proper timing on your route to avoid hitting the brakes and coasting more will help a lot.

Cruise control sucks at getting the best mpg. The CC is a dutiful little guy, it will try hard to keep your very near the selected speed. It will slow you down and speed you up all very close to the set speed. If you manually control the vehicle you can let speed the vary to a larger degree. For example instead of using the CC to keep you at 65 +/- 1 mph, you can use downhill sections to gain a little speed and that will allow you coast for a distance. The same can be said for uphill, you ease you way up inclines while dropping a few mph when the CC would kick in and add throttle and the once over the crest the CC will slow the vehicle down again where you would be coasting.

The insult to injury is the economy car sized gas tank that makes me fill up all too often.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2 cents...
I get better mpg by quickly getting up to speed vs slowly getting up to speed. My theory is that by slowly getting up speed the trans shifts sooner (too soon) and you lose the mechanical advantage of the lower gears to get the vehicle moving.

The brake pedal is the mpg killer. Using the brake kills the energy you have moving the vehicle forward and you have to use more fuel to get it moving again. Proper timing on your route to avoid hitting the brakes and coasting more will help a lot.

Cruise control sucks at getting the best mpg. The CC is a dutiful little guy, it will try hard to keep your very near the selected speed. It will slow you down and speed you up all very close to the set speed. If you manually control the vehicle you can let speed the vary to a larger degree. For example instead of using the CC to keep you at 65 +/- 1 mph, you can use downhill sections to gain a little speed and that will allow you coast for a distance. The same can be said for uphill, you ease you way up inclines while dropping a few mph when the CC would kick in and add throttle and the once over the crest the CC will slow the vehicle down again where you would be coasting.

Agreed. I get about 1.5 mpg better on average with a heavier foot than a lighter foot. When I first got the Ex, I milked it to try and get good gas mileage. Was not impressed so I just decided to drive in a more spirited manner and mpg improved.

Back