Thinking about bypassing my GEM module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about bypassing my GEM module

explorerkatz

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT "X"
With the issues I am having w/ my '97 Explorer XLT - 4WD, such as;

Intermittent power window issue, intermittent interior lights, intermittent wipers, I am thinking about bypassing the GEM altogether & putting each of these on their own circuit.

Oh yeah, intermittent 4WD as well. :mad:

Would I simply cut the wires leading to the GEM for the appropriate circuits & leave the connectors plugged into the GEM? I guess so, since it is controlling other circuits.

Of course, I suppose it is just a matter of time until they fail as well...

Anyone else done this before? Ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the issues I am having w/ my '97 Explorer XLT - 4WD, such as;

Intermittent power window issue, intermittent interior lights, intermittent wipers, I am thinking about bypassing the GEM altogether & putting each of these on their own circuit.

Oh yeah, intermittent 4WD as well. :mad:

Would I simply cut the wires leading to the GEM for the appropriate circuits & leave the connectors plugged into the GEM? I guess so, since it is controlling other circuits.

Of course, I suppose it is just a matter of time until they fail as well...

Anyone else done this before? Ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

Why do all that.... Just replace the GEM with a new one....

Can't get a new one from Ford, since it is so old. They no longer make them...If I pick up a salvage yard unit, it most likely will be no better than the one I already have...

well if you want to your skills at "dice, chop, and blend", why not use your appropriate skills to trouble shoot your actual problem and resolve things once and for all. Odds are slim that its the module and more likely other wiring issues which you may get lucky and wire "around" or unlucky and wire "in" if you do the "chop out".

Lots of posts on "my gem is broke" types that usually find otherwise. Having said that, one recent case reports "water issues" (front window leak) that caused "grief".... you might check the GEM area, unplugged and check the connections (corrosion and such), remate and go from there. One thing though try to solve one issue at a time ... for instance windows don't work and then go from there as opposed to solving all at once with a "magic solution".... some times things are just "coincident" multiple failures / issues.

further: some circuits are not easily "wired in" and you are likely to end up with the "dead battery" syndrome on top of other problems.

Its not frequent that the GEM's go bad I personally would get one from a junkyard truck instead of doing all that.

I went to the dealership to ask about a new gem for my 98 and they had them, and they only wanted 280 bucks what a deal!! however the oem one i got from autopartscheaper for 100 bucks was a slightly better deal. at least they had them.

Yeah kbabiak is a vendor here and good to deal with I got my parts within 2 days of payment he works fast and has parts explorers and also ped5stang has them too.

budwich -

I have cleaned the contacts to just about everything I could find that has a connector on this vehicle; pulled all the relays/fuses, cleaned up everything & put dielectric grease on the GEM/other connectors.

Replaced all grounds that I came across with new straps/wires.

In-depth electronics troubleshooting is not my specialty, unfortunately...Other than checking for corrosion and power/ground to the various modules, I can't really do much else.

I know what you are saying - I would really like to get to the root of the problem instead of making a "wire-around" & maybe creating more troubles.

Unfortunately, if I can't find the trouble, I don't know of a shop in my area that I trust to do accurate troubleshooting either, & I definitely don't feel good about taking it to the dealer to look it over.

well... I think that you are then "gambling" your "electrical skills" at trying to wire in "something" that could take you down a "big rat hole"... and maybe cost you alot of money. Just like "search is friend" on the web, a "meter is your friend" for electrical problems.... find a bud who knows some principles of electricity, give him beer (or two, three...). It would appear that you have started in the right direction with some of the checks... keep going. As suggested, a replacement unit can be had if you "dig", but I suspect it won't help.... but then again you never know... troubleshooting from a "web view" is not infallible. My money is on a broken /breaking wire under dash near the relay module.

Further... as I reread your post.... power and ground checks with a meter is all you need to solve this (these) issue(s).....so I think you are basically there.

Back