Replacing rear steel brake line on 99/ questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing rear steel brake line on 99/ questions

mikepier

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
15 XL
My rear brake line that goes over the diff is rusting bad and I would like to change it before it breaks. A couple of questions came up from the auto stores when I called, is it single, double, or bubble flared? Also what size is it?

Auto Zone has steel brake lines with the double -flared ends on for $6.99 for a 6 ft section( I believe thats what I need). Does anyone have info on what the specs are for the rear brake line?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure, but most likely a bubble flare. (I asked this question before and got no reply) Why not take it off and have a look? Take the line in and have it matched for size. 3/16 I think...

I bought a stock length of 3/16" line from Pep Boys for about $5.00 for my 97 Sport. If I remember correctly it was 51" long and the ends were already on it. I bent it by hand since my bender wasn't made for anything smaller than 1/4". It took about 30 minutes from start to finish including bleeding the brakes afterward.

Don't wait to do this. I found out mine was bad when I hit the brakes hard when a semi pulled out in front of me and the line blew. Trust me, that's not fun!

I bought a stock length of 3/16" line from Pep Boys for about $5.00 for my 97 Sport. If I remember correctly it was 51" long and the ends were already on it. I bent it by hand since my bender wasn't made for anything smaller than 1/4". It took about 30 minutes from start to finish including bleeding the brakes afterward.

Don't wait to do this. I found out mine was bad when I hit the brakes hard when a semi pulled out in front of me and the line blew. Trust me, that's not fun!

Yes, but OP wants to know if he should buy line with inverted double flares, or bubble flares?

I'm not sure about the flares, I was not asked that question when I called around. However, I believe they were bubble flares.

i got the 3/16 line 60" long i think. had a little extra so i cut it off and had to flare only the 1 end. make sure to use a brakeline bender or it will kink. took me about 20min

Thanks for the info. I ended up getting a 3/16" line 51" long at Auto Zone for $6.49. And just an FYI, the ends are double flared. It was easy to change. The hardest part was bending it in the right shape.
One thing I noticed on the new line is that one flare nut was longer on one end than the other. My old line did not have this difference, but the new line went in fine, no leaks.
While doing this job, I did notice my drivers side e-brake cable was rusted and it does not work when the pedal is pressed. The passengers side works, but not the drivers side. It appears the cable broke inside the armored/ rubber tube assembly. Look for my post on this problem.

Do you mean the flare was longer, or the flare nut was longer. If the nut was longer, that's no big deal

Glad to finally know what kind of brake like flares these truck use...

Do you mean the flare was longer, or the flare nut was longer. If the nut was longer, that's no big deal

Glad to finally know what kind of brake like flares these truck use...

The threads on the nut were longer.

Mine blew out today,Dumb-ass making a left turn,no signal.
we cut and flared the tube,only to forget to put the nut on.cut replace,repeat!

Back