Where is the oil pressure sending unit on my 99 explorer 4.0L EFI engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the oil pressure sending unit on my 99 explorer 4.0L EFI engine?

explorerthisone

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
First of all, I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with a 4.0L EFI OHV engine, XLS model.

Well, my oil pressure on my stock gauge is gone to zero. I am hoping that it is the oil pressure sending unit that is malfunctioning. Well, I've done my research. It should be located right under the power steering pump on the driver side. I have a mechanical oil pressure tester, and a new sending unit. I also have my haynes manual, but the picture given is so close up that it doesn't really help. I tried looking for it for about an hour, but I just can't seem to locate it. Once I know where it is, this should be a simple job.

Can anyone help me with this? I want to test to make sure that it is the oil pressure sending unit before I take it to the mechanics to have the oil pump replaced. (Fingers crossed!!!) If someone has the same engine as mine, and know where your oil pressure sensor is located, could you perhaps take a picture of it and post it (both far away and close up shots)? Or could someone with a parts diagram also post this information? I would be very thankful. Thanks.

First of all, I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with a 4.0L EFI OHV engine, XLS model.

Well, my oil pressure on my stock gauge is gone to zero. I am hoping that it is the oil pressure sending unit that is malfunctioning. Well, I've done my research. It should be located right under the power steering pump on the driver side. I have a mechanical oil pressure tester, and a new sending unit. I also have my haynes manual, but the picture given is so close up that it doesn't really help. I tried looking for it for about an hour, but I just can't seem to locate it. Once I know where it is, this should be a simple job.

Can anyone help me with this? I want to test to make sure that it is the oil pressure sending unit before I take it to the mechanics to have the oil pump replaced. (Fingers crossed!!!) If someone has the same engine as mine, and know where your oil pressure sensor is located, could you perhaps take a picture of it and post it (both far away and close up shots)? Or could someone with a parts diagram also post this information? I would be very thankful. Thanks.
Look under the truck toward the driver side. Look at the front of the engine. Look for a sensor with one wire coming off it on a spur off the engine, it is hard to miss.

If you look through the driver side wheel-well you can actually see the sensor pretty easily. It's a round sensor with a wire coming out near the bottom of the engine. Make sure you get the right tool to take it out or you can damage the threading.

That's the thing... I knew all that information... but I don't know why, I just cannot seem to find it. I bet I am going to hit my head in unbelief when I see it because it was right in front of my nose the entire time. Anyways, if someone could take a picture of the engine pointing to where it in on this engine, it would really help out. Posting such a picture would really be good too because it seems like there alot of people with the same issue as me out there. There is a really good thread out there for a SOHC engine, but none for a OHV EFI engine. Anyways, thanks again.

Back