Where is the idle control valve on an '05 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the idle control valve on an '05 Explorer?

Tbonemoore1

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2005 Explorer that I am trying to replace the Idle Air Control Valve on, and I can't find where it is on the motor. I have a repair manual and have called and visited numerous parts stores and no one has been able to help. The motor is a 4.0 SOHC, and the valve is supposed to be where the breather attaches to the throttle body, or somewhere close, but the Motorcraft part that I bought to replace the factorypart doesn't seem to exist anywhere on the engine. I have checked to make sure that the part is the correct one, and have found that it is the only one available. Does anyone have an idea of where the part is?
Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you are drive by wire, and i think 05 is, you dont have an iac.

Thanks. Why would the engine code definition say that it is a faulty IAC Vavle? What else could it be that would cause an idle problem?

according to my chiltons 2004 and later models do not have an IAC valve.

according to my chiltons 2004 and later models do not have an IAC valve.

This appears to be accurate info. My own '04 has no Idle Air Control or Idle Speed Control as it was earlier called. Ford Engineers seem to have decided that the system of driving the throttle plate with a motor ("Drive By Wire") is accurate and sensitive enough to open and close the plate that slight amount necessary to control idle speed as engine load changes due to accessory loading (alternator, A/C, etc.).

It seems to work! imp

Back