• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Problems

BurlyBane

Reaction score
City, State
S'toon, Sk
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT
Hi there. I have a question about turning off the headlights. I have checked the forums and have spent way to much time with search engines and can't find an answer to my question :(

I have a '03 Sport Trac XLT and I am wanting to take my kids to a drive-in but I can't figure out how to turn the headlights off so that I don't get linched by the other people there. I have been told that if you put the emergency brake down that it would work... which it didn't. I tried the emergency brake after having it in drive (while stopped of course) and then putting it back into park and it didn't do anything. I tried the autolamp switch on the mirror which didn't do anything other than what its supposed to do so I left it in the off position. I am completely stumped and after searching the web for the past 3 hours I am getting a tad frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean driving lights?
I don't understand your question. You saying your headlights will not turn off? Is this with the key in or out of the ignition?

I have noticed the same thing on my truck, thought they should turn off with the parking brake too.

The problem is the "daytime running lights", the headlights automatically turn on for safety when the truck is running. There are some posts around saying to unplug the module, which will completely disable them.

The module maybe wrecked (Daytime Running Light module), mine also pulses/flashes the headlights sometimes.

If you have access to another module, try swapping it out to see if it operates properly.

Hey i have a question as well. When i turn my headlights all the way on nothing happens... it still just daytime lights, but my high beams work...no low beam???

If your "DRL" are working, then your lowbeams are on I think, on my truck that's how they seem to work.
Although on my ranger the hi-beams are used as the DRLs(Daytime Running Lights).

maybe it's because my DRL module is flakey.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.

The problem I am having is not being able to turn off the daytime running lights. Otherwise the lights work fine ... although unless my headlights are on the headlight symbol on the dash is always lit up. I didn't have time to call the dealership today but if anyone could let me know where the drl module is I will check that out.

Again thanks for all the help and responses! :D :D

Ok, remember this is on a 01, so hopefully its the same. Its kinda behind the drivers headlamp. Mine buggered up and has been unplugged for years.

First pic. shows blue plug is drivers side fog lamp, other with gren wire is drl module. Second pic is a better shot of the module.

drl%20001.gif

drl%20002.gif

Good luck, Todd

Thanks for all the help .. really appreciate it. Found the drl module and just disconnected it and problem solved :D:D. All responses are appreciated! Take care and thanks again!

Kurt

Headlights on at drive-in

Those lites would get you in trouble. On my '01, I pulled the fuse from the panel/box under the hood. Check owners manual for which one to pull. Put it back in later (assume you're in Canada eh)

Those lites would get you in trouble. On my '01, I pulled the fuse from the panel/box under the hood. Check owners manual for which one to pull. Put it back in later (assume you're in Canada eh)

lol ya I am a mighty Canuk!

But anyway, the truck I bought was from somewhere in Texas so there were no standard daytime running lights and when it crossed the border there was a dtr module installed. I took it to ford and they didn't know what to do so I actually just followed the wires around and in the end just put a toggle switch on the wire that ran to the module so now all I have to do is flip a switch whenever I don't want them on :p:

Check the low beam fuse that was my prob

ok,now we are getting somewhere,this appears to resolve my issue,the pics were a great help,now if the sun comes up I can go out and start the resolution processfirst the drl module,then what who knows.

That's a pretty old thread there. Might be better to start a new one. What issues are you having, specifically?

dont you guys have the switch on your mirror to turn the lights off? thats how I shut mine off at the drive in

I seem to have a unique problem my drive lights or functioning. My high beams are functioning but my low beams are not. I have a 97 Eddie Bauer 5.0. I've checked the fuses. I've replaced the switch and bulbs but still not working. Could someone please offer some more advise I need this truck to pass inspection and I can't without headlights.

Old thread, start a new one in either the performance light section or '95-01 Explorer section. I'm not familiar with your model or problem but someone on either of those section will know exactly what to do. Good luck!!

Back