• Register Today It's free!

Another rear window problem

6OCTAGON

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac 4x4
01 sport trac rear window not working. I dont know what to do next. I checked all the fuses went through all the test procedures. I just bought a used window motor (maybe a mistake) and it still isnt working. I can not get the initialization procedure to work. Has anyone one seen this TSB #03-19-5 that says the door needs to be open and closed at certain times?

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - REAR WINDOW INITIALIZATION, by PAUL CMAT
HERE’S A TIP. Explorer Sport-Trac. After installing a rear window motor and regulator, the motor has to be “REINITIALIZED” or it won’t work. After trying the procedure probably 10 times and it not working (It would run through procedure, but as soon as the key was shut off the window would be in-op) Had to take a break. Looked up TSB,s. One was #03-19-5. IT explained procedure a little differently. It involved opening and closing driver door at different times. (Other one in window article simply states “Open drivers door) The TSB procedure worked first time! Keep this in mind or it just might drive you CRAZY! YUP.

——————

Subject: REAR WINDOW INITIALIZATION
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Category/Subcategory: Accessories and Equipment / Windows
Title/Heading: GLASS, FRAMES AND MECHANISMS / DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING -> Glass, Frames and Mechanisms - Window Control -> Pinpoint Test -> Pinpoint Test K: The Power Rear Window Is Inoperative (Explorer Sport Trac Only)
Shop: HARRIS TIRE AND AUTO FIRESTONE
Posted By: PAUL CMAT
Date: 1/23/2008

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya mine has just started acting up also. It will vent and roll up from vent but will not roll down at all! I also checked all the fuses and they are all fine. I am thinking its probably a faulty switch but could use any advice.

It doesn't say anything about that.
TSB 03-19-5 BODY - POWER REAR WINDOW BOUNCES BACK OPEN WHEN CLOSING
ELECTRICAL - POWER REAR WINDOW BOUNCES BACK OPEN WHEN CLOSING

Go here and read #3 and follow the directions. Diagnosis info is included there too.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238632

I'll ask John to include that TSB in the FAQ thread.

Thanks!!!! I will try this, this afternoon.

Just follow this one to the letter and it should work. I had my window out and it worked the first time after going through these instructions. You only have to open the door as part of the first step.

I guess i was sold a bad motor because it still dont work. I did both version of the initialization and got nothing. I put the old motor back in and tried the alternate version in the TSB and i almost go some movement. I got to the part were you hold the up position till it times out i can hear that it moved up about a 1mm then stalls. Then i turn it to the down position and nothing happens. I tried holding it for over 30 sec. Here is the motor i bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...All-Categories&_fvi=1&viewitem=#ht_1576wt_867

Are you sure the glass is not binding or that the regulator cables aren't broken?

RearWindowMotorandRegulator.jpg

Everything looks good. I moved the window up and down about an inch when i pulled the motor. Does the window have to be down a little when you initialize? Mine is up all the way. Weird that the new won does nothing. The old one i think will go up but like i said it is all the way up now. I called them and they said they would send me a new motor. But what a pain in the butt. I just want to make sure im not missing something before i send back this motor.

Mine was all the way down when I started because I had dismantled and removed the whole assembly but I don't see anywhere it states what position the glass has to be in to begin the process.

01 sport trac rear window not working. I dont know what to do next. I checked all the fuses went through all the test procedures. I just bought a used window motor (maybe a mistake) and it still isnt working. I can not get the initialization procedure to work. Has anyone one seen this TSB #03-19-5 that says the door needs to be open and closed at certain times?

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - REAR WINDOW INITIALIZATION, by PAUL CMAT
HERE’S A TIP. Explorer Sport-Trac. After installing a rear window motor and regulator, the motor has to be “REINITIALIZED” or it won’t work. After trying the procedure probably 10 times and it not working (It would run through procedure, but as soon as the key was shut off the window would be in-op) Had to take a break. Looked up TSB,s. One was #03-19-5. IT explained procedure a little differently. It involved opening and closing driver door at different times. (Other one in window article simply states “Open drivers door) The TSB procedure worked first time! Keep this in mind or it just might drive you CRAZY! YUP.

——————

Subject: REAR WINDOW INITIALIZATION
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Category/Subcategory: Accessories and Equipment / Windows
Title/Heading: GLASS, FRAMES AND MECHANISMS / DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING -> Glass, Frames and Mechanisms - Window Control -> Pinpoint Test -> Pinpoint Test K: The Power Rear Window Is Inoperative (Explorer Sport Trac Only)
Shop: HARRIS TIRE AND AUTO FIRESTONE
Posted By: PAUL CMAT
Date: 1/23/2008
Mine was all the way down when I started because I had dismantled and removed the whole assembly but I don't see anywhere it states what position the glass has to be in to begin the process.
So later we found that the glass must be down.

Back